Possible Causes of a No Start on a 00 CBR 600 F4

Mister2

it ran beautifully when i rode to put it away in storage for winter, put a battery tender on it, a bike cover, and was carpeted underneath, week after christmas when it was like 60 outside, i wanted to get it out, it started but barley, idle was real low and no matter what i did i could not get it up, then it stalled and has not started since, even push started down a hill many times, pulled plugs, they were fouled, fast foreward to last night, put new NGK's in her, and tired again, this time with the choke off, still nothing, not even a hickup, coils looked good when it was apart, fuel filter was full, any suggestions? its a 2000 CBR 600 F4 with about 12,000 miles Thanks for any Help

-Jack-

You need to drain your carbs. There is a drain on each (4) float bowls. Turn with a flat screwdriver until fuel runs out, then stand the bike staright up so that all of the old fuel runs out. Next, make sure the battery is fully charged and crank it with full choke, no throttle. It should start to sputter and fire. If it doesn't, then you had fouled your new plugs earlier. If this is the case, remove the plugs and clean with brake clean and compressed air. Reinstall plugs and try again. Guarantee that it is the old fuel causing your issues.

Good luck.

If the fuel drain think gets it started, but it won't run off choke and sputters, the carbs will need cleaned. You don't have to pull the tank, but you will need a long flat screwdriver to get to all four bowl drains. If the carbs need cleaned-call me.

gas is from late november, so not that old, and i just put in a K&N and no nests in air box, i will drain carbs tonight. thanks!!!

That's probably long enough to go bad w/o a stabilizer in it...these new ethanol blends seem to go bad faster.

That's probably long enough to go bad w/o a stabilizer in it...these new ethanol blends seem to go bad faster.

i dunno i think i filled up about the first week of december or something... i rode monday and it started right up.

i dunno i think i filled up about the first week of december or something... i rode monday and it started right up.

Lots of factors like how old the gas already was when you pumped it, additives, and how full you keep your fuel tank.

well just got back from working on it, drained the carbs as told, had clear/clean gas come out, pulled the plugs, didnt look to fouled, like they were not dripping with gas like others ive seen, cleaned them, gapped them. blew compressed air in cyl for a bit and reinstalled, checked all coils, all firing with good spark. put the choke on all the way as told, and cranked, nothing at all!!! what gives? just cranks,

Edited by Mister2

i usually only run either sunoco or shell premium, no el cheapo gas brands, i did notice that with the sudden temp change and it being a concrete floor, the bike was really sweating, anything to do with it? it was the same way back in december when i tried to fire it with no avail.

i usually only run either sunoco or shell premium, no el cheapo gas brands, i did notice that with the sudden temp change and it being a concrete floor, the bike was really sweating, anything to do with it? it was the same way back in december when i tried to fire it with no avail.

Sounds like condensation build up in tank and lines.

+1 bad gas , Gummed up ! If just draining the bowls don't work.

Bench clean the carbs !!

Did you read the winterize thread and skip the fuel stabil part ?

seafoam everything would be my next step.

a little bit in your tank, a little down your stacks, and suck a little through your vacuum lines (same ones you use to sync your carbs)

not all at once, try one thing first see the result and go from there.

also how long did you try and crank it? its going to take a bit of time for the fuel you just drained to work its way back into the lines/bowls. maybe you gave up to early?

Turn your choke off ,shoot just a little starting fluid in the airbox and start it without the choke !

The deal with the gas is, It takes sooooo little time for a small amout of gas to go bad. A larger amout like in a car tank will take much longer. pluss all the passages are alot bigger and harder to gum up. These high performance bikes are picky bout that.

Also just like any fluid that you let sit, It will form a film ontop, Like water or milk or anything. That small film will be enough to clog and block a bikes carbs.

Now yamaha makes a great product that cleans carbs without removing them. I fooking swear by it !!! You mix it with gas, take you fuel line off, crank the bike and let it draw the fluid in. Let it set overnight, drain it from the bowls and your good to go.May have to repete again ? I get it at the dealer, it comes in a black bottle ( yamaha carb cleaner), I think it's actualy water based ?? and saves me tons of time trying to help everyone get going again in the spring.

Edited by Catman