Best thing for a bad back

V8 Beast

I did give advice... ask Kirk. He knows everything, just ask him.

This is one area where a chiro can help. Atleast in my experience I got temporary relief with out drugs. But as soon as I stopped going all the time the pain came back.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with inversion is it is not specific enough to solve anything long term. Tempoary relief does happen with inversion, but otc meds do the same thing. Teeter hang-ups is a good example of the power of television.

I would try to find out what the problem is and then find the right treatment for the problem. My .02

Meh, $100 inversion table is cheaper than a quackropractor charging $100 per visit, prescribing costly prescription after prescription and still not "fixing" the problem.

Back brace is the worst thing to do for your back, It doesnt allow the muscles to stretch, it just keeps them tight and unable to move. When you take the brace off you feel worse.

I have found that taking it easy and exercising works well. I would pop 2 advil if i knew it was going to hurt. I havent had my back go out on me for a while now. Kinda weird but i get happy knowing i get regular back pain where it ackes and doesnt hurt to move in any direction.

Meh, $100 inversion table is cheaper than a quackropractor charging $100 per visit, prescribing costly prescription after prescription and still not "fixing" the problem.

I have an inversion table. Doesnt really work that great for my back but its badass for sit ups

Back brace is the worst thing to do for your back, It doesnt allow the muscles to stretch, it just keeps them tight and unable to move. When you take the brace off you feel worse.

I have found that taking it easy and exercising works well. I would pop 2 advil if i knew it was going to hurt. I havent had my back go out on me for a while now. Kinda weird but i get happy knowing i get regular back pain where it ackes and doesnt hurt to move in any direction.

It depends on how tight you are wearing the brace. I took it off when I got home from work and feel way better.

Back brace + heat pack + staying active = tolerable pain and more mobility. I'll just wear the brace for a week or two then start working my back out again depending on how it feels.

Thanks everyone.. well everyone except Tyler.

Heat+new injury= more swelling= more pain=longer disability

You need

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2061334/ice-ice-baby_Full.jpg

lol..... where can I get $100/visit? I am moving tomorrow!!!

Are you licensed to give advice?

I agree with you, but for different reasons. Back braces do two things that are bad for you in the long run. First of all, they lead to a dependency on the brace that will in turn lead to muscular atrophy. Secondly they give a false sense of security and lead to further injury.

In the late 90's Walmart and many other companies began a campain of back safety forcing workers to use back braces. The immediate result was work comp claims for spinal injuries decreased. Over a couple of years the claims stayed low. then about 3 years into the program, the cases came back, with worse injuries. The workers learned to depend on the braces and developed weakened core muscles. They also tried lifting more than they should have been because "I have a back brace" mentality.

I dislike them so much I don't stock them in my office. You are much better off with out a brace in most situations.

Didnt properly stretch before playing sports... went to take a defensive position and strained a muscle in my back.

Yeah I'm gettin old :p

As long as you don't have pain into the extremities it should go away in a few days. Use ice for the first week, no heat!!! Keep stretching lightly. You should be OK by this Friday. If your not better, call me and I will check your spine and see whats wrong.

Didnt properly stretch before playing sports... went to take a defensive position and strained a muscle in my back.

Yeah I'm gettin old :p

Where in the back is the pain? Could have thrown a rib out, kinda feels like a pinched nerve. You need to get yourself a massage by that wife you got Brian.

As long as you don't have pain into the extremities it should go away in a few days. Use ice for the first week, no heat!!! Keep stretching lightly. You should be OK by this Friday. If your not better, call me and I will check your spine and see whats wrong.

Do you know where I can buy Icey without the Hot?

ice, alleve, and a few days rest should just about cover it, like mentioned by others.

no need for expensive back massages, traction tables, oils, creams, potions, lasers, vitamins, hypnotherapy, accupuncture, or any of the other crap offered up in this thread^^^^

ice, alleve, and a few days rest should just about cover it, like mentioned by others.

no need for expensive back massages, traction tables, oils, creams, potions, lasers, vitamins, hypnotherapy, accupuncture, or any of the other crap offered up in this thread^^^^

See told you he knows everything!

http://rense.com/1.imagesH/amaL_dees.jpg

See told you he knows everything!

not EVERYTHING, just more than you about most things medical, and musculoskeletal. instead of attacking others' posts in here and being all defensive about your career choice, you should focus on the original poster and his question (like you have) and leave it at that.