? about my boost track vs dyno

Mattsv8

My s10 has a tial v60 wg. at the track and on the street it has a 9 lb spring and shows 9lbs on the gauge. on brians dyno it goes straight to 15lbs. does anyone know why that might b. i want to get a true 9lb dyno 15 lb then work the boost up from there.no boost controller yet just the tial recommended springs for boost level.

I am not sure how it is possible to only get 9lbs on the street vs 15lbs on the dyno.

I do have 1 question for you Matt. Are you doing 3rd gear (2nd gear if its a glide) on the street or are you just rolling into it in 1st gear?

That might be the difference there.

Guest Removed
The load on the dyno is different (in this case more) than on the street, putting more load on the motor you will always see more boost. Thats why you should always street tune your car and the VERIFY #'s on the dyno.

i think you mean less load.

hows that on a none loading dyno? loading dynos, load the drive line like the car is going down the track/street.

In my experiance on ips's dyno I can't generate as much boost as quick on the dyno as I can on the street. But this could be related to AWD vs RWD I'm just not sure. I just know on the street my car is always in a slighly higher load. 2.3 vs say 2.4-2.5.

Are you guys reading his post or just scanning through it? He only makes 9 pounds on the street and 15 psi on the dyno.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

There has to be something you are missing matt because on a dynojet you will always have less boost or have more trouble making boost because of the lack of load.

thats what we all thought. my boost read out either on brake no 2step. or 1st 2nd 3rd gear rolls on slicks. or full bore passes never shows more than 9lbs. tial v60 gate with 9lb springs. as soon as we straped it to the dyno went staight to 15lbs and stayed rock steady! i wanted a 9lb test before i went to the extra spring for 15lbs.

he shows 15on his boost gauge and so did mine. next day took it on the street again on slicks. back to 9lbs rock steady. my extra 5 lbs spring is behind the driver seat in the truck. i was plannin on adding it for a 15lb pass. but couldent.

lol i wish it was the case. but i evan showed the spring to brian and everyone else. i cant figure this out. if it was more load wouldent the wg spring with a 2.5" dump be enough to keep boost down at 9lb.? a 60mm gate couldent be too small

Are you guys reading his post or just scanning through it? He only makes 9 pounds on the street and 15 psi on the dyno.

No I read it, I was posting my observation I was not sure if there was a major load differance between AWD and RWD dynos. I just was not sure .

Is there any chance that on the dyno something was sticking?

Guest Removed
thats weird because when I was on his dyno my car hit 25psi and seen 21 on the street?

case in point....not the same load as street driving. the more load, the less boost you will see. so under minimal loading, boost will be higher. theres no load, so the turbo doesnt have to work as hard to make boost.

matt..wanna try it on a loading dyno? lmk.

case in point....not the same load as street driving. the more load, the less boost you will see. so under minimal loading, boost will be higher. theres no load, so the turbo doesnt have to work as hard to make boost.

ummmmmm.

I sent you a PM.

I do think your a bit confused.

I would be interested in trying out a load bearing dyno though.

Guest GMoney

False completely. So cars would over boost in low gears and make less boost in higher gears?

More load means there is more air moving thus the ability to make more boost.

Easy way to prove this is the DSM days when you would turn up your boost controller, 1,2,3 gears no boost cut, but forth gear boost cut :) even though the boost level was the same in all gears. Your flowing more air it is just going out the waste gate instead of building more boost...

Guest GMoney
He Tapped inunder the carb with a tee same line feeds the boost gauge retard box andbov

Try moving the vac/boost sources, i always like a dedicated line for each item, BOV, WG, and in your case retard box, directly off the manifold. Not off the carb or TB ports as they are designed for NA operation and create a whole huge issue with pressure differences before and after the restriction/carb. I could get into the engineering about pressure differences for hours.

I do not think it has anything to do with the dyno or loading but shear placement of the vac/boost lines.

PM me i will give you my number and you can call me if you want.

Guest Removed
False completely. So cars would over boost in low gears and make less boost in higher gears?

More load means there is more air moving thus the ability to make more boost.

Easy way to prove this is the DSM days when you would turn up your boost controller, 1,2,3 gears no boost cut, but forth gear boost cut :) even though the boost level was the same in all gears. Your flowing more air it is just going out the waste gate instead of building more boost...

like in pauls car. it hits 21 or 22 psi threw 1,2,3, but in 4th it settles down to 16-18.

i still think the issue is with the connection on the vacuum/boost hookup. a restriction in the tee fitting used, could have caused most of the issue that matt was seeing. thats the only thing different. between street driving, and him on the dyno.

like in pauls car. it hits 21 or 22 psi threw 1,2,3, but in 4th it settles down to 16-18.

ummm? direct opposite there captain. i see 19 or so in first an then goes up with each gear. an i never hit fuel cut till the top of 4th.

Guest Removed
ummm? direct opposite there captain. i see 19 or so in first an then goes up with each gear. an i never hit fuel cut till the top of 4th.

just the opposite of what you was talking about before now.:rolleyes:

remember bitching at me cause it would hit 22, but settle off at 18 or so.:gtfo: