A couple BMV new issues

Zeppelin

BAD NEWS:

Mandated by legislation-There is now a $20 late fee if you renew your driver license or vehicle registration more than 7 days late. This is a pretty stupid move passed by the legislature to raise revenue. Might catch a few people the first year, but after that it will generate almost ZERO, as most will know and renew early, and will just generally piss everyone off for being implemented.

GOOD NEWS:

Starting October 8th, people will start having to prove Ohio residency to renew vehicle registration. Hopefully this will help curb the huge amount of illegal immigrants that currently have vehicles registered in Ohio.

Another issue is the 'runners' coming in from the little used car dealers, especially on the West side. Trying to use the BMV Power Of Attorney form to get plates for illegals. If you see or hear of a car dealer catering to illegals, contact BMV Investigations at the 614-752-7600 number and give them the details you know. They are looking hard at hammering these slimey dealers who are just interested in selling the car, not whether the buyer has any intention of covering it with insurance, and in fact KNOW the buyer is driving off the lot without a driver license OR insurance. Unfortunately, its a big business, and the agency can use any help any of you can offer.

Here is what is available so far. The official press release. There will a new acceptable documents list available on October 8th with the 'official list' of residency documents.

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/MR2009/10_01_09ProofofResidency.pdf

I dont think a driver license will be acceptable, since no-one ever needed to prove where they live before. It was just put on the license based on what the customer told BMV.

GOOD NEWS:

Starting October 8th, people will start having to prove Ohio residency to renew vehicle registration. Hopefully this will help curb the huge amount of illegal immigrants that currently have vehicles registered in Ohio.

Hmmm

If I ever had to move back to MA, I was going to "reside" at my friend's place here in OH, so I wouldn't have to pay Excise or do yearly inspections.... Gonna have to be a little more creative. ;)

Hopefully I won't have to move back. :)

Do you have to register a car thats not runing?

Only if you have a city ordinance mandating that any vehicle on the property be properly registered. State law does not mandate it unless the vehicle is being operated on the highway.

Here is where this screws me. What if I don't want to renew a plate until I use the vehicle or trailer until later in the year. That's BS. Especially if you have a bunch of vehicles and don't want to take the hit all at the same time.

this

Thats why I start renewing plates a few months ahead of time, so I dont take the hit all at once. You can renew up to 90 days ahead of your expiration date. Just need to plan ahead a little. I have 4 plates to renew. Would kill me if I renewed them all at the same time.

Here is where this screws me. What if I don't want to renew a plate until I use the vehicle or trailer until later in the year. That's BS. Especially if you have a bunch of vehicles and don't want to take the hit all at the same time.

Exactly my thoughts.

can't you just turn the tag in and then re-register the car when its ready to be driven?

Agreed....not happy about that. My birthday is in November and I usually put away the M3 and FD then and switch to my winter vehicle. I used to not renew those tags until the spring and then they would pro-rate them for the time I didn't use them....now I'm going to have to pay for tags for cars to sit in the garage all winter just to avoid the fines.