buddy wants to buy a passat

armin922

I...err, my WIFE :)...has a 2000 Passat GLX (2.8L 30valve V6, 5speed manual, FWD) we've owned since new. Great car, needed nothing until about 2 years ago and 80k miles. It now has 92k miles and the clutch blew. Before that, I replaced both front half-shafts, timing belt/water pump, Bilstein shocks/struts. Before that, it was just fluids, filters, tires and brakes.

They are really well-built and roomy cars, but you HAVE TO STAY UP ON THE MAINTENANCE. I've heard horror stories of the 1.8T developing really bad sludge buildup if you don't change the oil often or use synthetic (which should be done anyway!) If you're a good shadetree mechanic, repairs are surprisingly easy but parts can be really expensive. Flywheel is a dual-mass unit that can't be resurfaced. I'm going to need to pay over $600 for a good one, on top of $300 for a standard clutch kit. Yikes. :(

Overall though, we have been very happy with the car. It is a highway cruiser like none other. Lowered with some good rolling stock and it handles very well! Stick shift is like buttah and the fuel economy is also surprisingly good. The 1.8T responds VERY WELL to mods...nothing really out there to mod the V6 so we're happy with the stock 190hp. :)

Check the oil dipstick and make sure it is clean, front axle shafts are common, find out the mileage and inquire about the timing belt service. If it has been done ask for receipts. Also the retarded front suspension always has something loose in it mainly one of the 4 control arm links, 2 on top 2 on the bottom. Ask about transmission issues if it is an automatic. See if the check engine light is on, if it is not at least when you turn the key on to make sure the bulb actually works.

Otherwise they have a lot of little issues with the air injection system and vacuum system both of which usually sets codes. The 1.8T also is known for ignition coils going bad usually one at a time. If the mileage is up near 100K look at the flex pipe and see if it is coming apart if it is starting too be ready for $1300 for the flex pipe and catalyst they are one piece that bolt to the back of the turbo.

If it has more than say 75K I would seriously pass.

I've maintained 2 of these personally from when they were brand new until the owners moved away, with 100k and 85k miles. What zeitgeist said is dead on. They are perfect until around 80-100k miles, then it's time for some work. Not really any worse than most other foreign cars, but if maintained well they will last another 100k miles. You're going to have to get over $1000-$2000 in service, then it will be trouble free again for awhile.

I wouldn't buy a 1.8t unless the owner could PROVE they've used synthetic with a good proper filter since new. The v6 will take much more neglect.

As mentioned above the most common problems with the 1.8T Passats are the timing belt, clutch, and front control arm bushings. I have two for sale right now at my lot. One is a v6 and one is the 1.8Turd and I enjoy both of them as much. The 1.8T blocks can handle 400 hp without touching anything (ask me how I know).

FWIW, I'm keeping mine because everything that has a tendency to break already did. :) The flip side to everything being done around 100k miles is they will run another 100k miles just as well.

Also, anyone that has owned a German car will tell you.......if you don't drive this thing every single day...HARD...it will develop problems. I don't know why it's bulletproof until it sits in a garage for a month, but when you have 4 cars and the Passat doesn't get love, it gets bitter. Ask me how I know. :)

Also, anyone that has owned a German car will tell you.......if you don't drive this thing every single day...HARD...it will develop problems. I don't know why it's bulletproof until it sits in a garage for a month, but when you have 4 cars and the Passat doesn't get love, it gets bitter. Ask me how I know. :)

QFT.....

They aren't meant to adorn a garage, they are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

FWIW, The Passat 1.8T's were among the WORST victims of the sludge catastrophe. Seriously inspect the oil cap, dipstick and demand oil change records. 1.8T Longblocks are readily available now, but you might as well buy one of the 1.8T cars for sale over the country with "needs engine work" or "runs great but oil light comes on".

QFT.....

They aren't meant to adorn a garage, they are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

FWIW, The Passat 1.8T's were among the WORST victims of the sludge catastrophe. Seriously inspect the oil cap, dipstick and demand oil change records. 1.8T Longblocks are readily available now, but you might as well buy one of the 1.8T cars for sale over the country with "needs engine work" or "runs great but oil light comes on".

i would not get a 1.8t of that year. I would get a VR6 or a W8

Had a '99 Passat 1.8T and while it was a good car that thing COOKED oil. I'd change it at 3k religiously and it was gassy and black every time. That engine bay stayed hot for hours too. I would want service records, looking for regular oil changes and also a timing belt service if it is anywhere near 100k as they were known to have timing belt failures prior to the recommended change interval.

That said, they drive well for FWD and the interiors aren't bad. Peppy in stock form, easily boosted to much higher levels if you feel so inclined.

Thanks for rendering an opinion when you know no history. :p

W8 = Tragic Failsauce. I'd take a 1.8T anyday over that POS.

This is true, too bad. Its still pretty cool though. Its half a Veyron engine!

dont'do it unless it's a diesel.

I agree.