Entry level luxury sedans

Buteo

Looking for some opinions on the entry level luxury cars. The candidates are all new or slightly used (current gen) cars.

Lexus IS 250 awd

Audi A4

Merc C300 4matic

Caddy CTS 3.6 (304hp) AWD

Ford Taurus SHO awd

I've driven them all and I am pretty sure I have my mind made up. Im curious to what you all think about the cars listed above. I dont want to make this thread start off biased so I will hold my opinion for a little bit.

Which is the best?Worst?

Have u considered the lincoln version of the new sho? The lincoln mks.

Or also the lincoln version of the fuzion. Lincoln zepher. Or the mercury milan all same cars even cheaper an still nice.

But I would say the caddy or the sho/lincoln version :)

Edited

Have you considered a Volkswagen CC?

Yea. I stopped to look at them and the dealerships in the area do not have any VR6 4motion 09 models. I need the AWD for work. Not really considering the 2010 model because of the APR not at 0%.

I have not looked at the Lincoln version of the SHO...looking it up now.

Just drove an A4 2.0T Quattro 6 speed today (2010). Great car.

I would post up a price, not a category, to help us. I mean used A4's and IS250s probably go for 30k, and a base SHO is 38k. Not exactly apples to apples.

Without any relevant info, A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line 6 speed or 335xi 6 speed.

Just drove an A4 2.0T Quattro 6 speed today (2010). Great car.

I would post up a price, not a category, to help us. I mean used A4's and IS250s probably go for 30k, and a base SHO is 38k. Not exactly apples to apples.

Without any relevant info, A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line 6 speed or 335xi 6 speed.

Prices would be 35-45k for new car and a little less for a used. Not considering the BMW. A friend has one and has had numerous turbo/ecu issues.

I was comparing the IS250/A4 to the SHO based on amenities and AWD. Not necessarily the HP factor. This isnt going to be my "fast" car.

Prices would be 35-45k for new car and a little less for a used. Not considering the BMW. A friend has one and has had numerous turbo/ecu issues.

I was comparing the IS250/A4 to the SHO based on amenities and AWD. Not necessarily the HP factor. This isnt going to be my "fast" car.

May I suggest that you skip the NEW cars altogether? I am sure you know that on ALL luxury brands you can save 5-10k by buying a slightly used Certified Pre Owned example and get the longer warranty.

Since you aren't looking at this car as a performance car, a CPO 2007 RS4 is out of the question then. They can be had for low 40s with around 30k miles and their CPO warranty is to 100k.

I would look at the 2009 A4 3.2Q and 2.0T Quattro. I would also look at the new TL with AWD (I think they are ugly as shit, but worth a look). The only lexus I would go for is the GS AWD, and Mercedes E350 4Matic. I HATE the IS and C classes. Maybe throw the G37 AWD in there as well. Good value . Also check out the Passat 3.6 4motion CPO.

Have you thought of the Q5? Great SUV.

With all of that said, I am a die hard VAG guy. I would look at the B8 A4 in 2.0T and 3.2 versions, the B7 S4 and RS4, the A6, Q5 and lastly the Passat 3.6 4motion. All in the CPO market.

We tested a few of those cars on the way to my wife finding what she wanted:

- IS250 is a nice car. Probably the slowest of the group you mentioned. You MUST get Navigation with this car; the interior feels out of place without it, and they did a really good job with the Nav setup. This was one of the top picks I had for my wife, but she felt it was a more guy-oriented car, and was significantly more expensive for the same class of car/features compared to what she got.

- CTS: Very awesome, likely one of the quicker cars in the group, the interior updates on the current model are very nice. Solid pick. Could have been a winner for my wife except she decided to go used and an AWD CTS wasn't available used.

- We drove a couple Benzs...ehhh, just weren't impressed for the money compared to the others.

- You left off the G35x, another good contender. Much more HP than the IS250 AWD, but the interior isn't quite as nice. Still a nice driving car.

- 3 series BMW's do drive really nicely; you don't have to go 335xi (which would be faster than anything else you would be looking at anyway). The interiors could use a bit of help compared to the others though.

- A4 - this ended up being the winner. Why? My wife was able to get a off lease 06 with 1.5 years of factory warranty + 2 more years of Audi CPO warranty, and had a 0.9% 60 month, 0 down finance rate. She loved the car and how it drove, and the price was better than anything else in its class for a used car with similar miles/age.

Seriously, don't even look at a freaking Taurus.

If your looking for an AWD car, with good amenities...nothing beats a quattro. That 2.0T is a fantastic motor. The Merc would come in at 2nd, but you cant get it in a manual if that matters to you, and Audi's interior is just so much better I think, along with its AWD. I've sat in the new cadillacs, and dont care for the interior at all.

go look at some m45's

My parents got one as a loaner when their TT went in for service. Its a big car, and I like the reverse video assist or whatever you call it, but besides that I was not too impressed by it. Felt like a maxima with lipstick on.

Thanks for the opinions and I am going to look more closely at few of the models that have been mentioned that I havent looked at. Namely the M45/G35x and Volvo.

Out of those cars I drove, the new CTS AWD and it is the clear winner. Although I agree it is hard to find used....which is why Ive only been looking at new. However the dealer is offering some pretty inticing pricing until 11/2. They were going to give me 1.2k more for my car than any other estimate, lowered the price of the car 2.5k below msrp, and have 0% financing for 72 months. This is all before I shot back an offer...this is the initial offer.

The Nav system was great to use and I really like how it would hide away once the car was off. The interior was the best of the bunch, just plain awesome. And its got 100 hp more than the IS 250 and "felt" like the quickest of the bunch. The styling is great! Car has great lines. And if I didnt live somewhere that I needed AWD the new V would be sitting at my place already.

CTS AWD has a driveshaft going through the oil pan.

The Volvo S80 regardless of motor choice is a great car. Obviously the S80 V8 AWD is a quick car and simply amazing to drive. The T6 AWD model is also extremely nice choice.

Your looking at around $39k for a nice T6 AWD model new.

Also, with Volvo right now your looking at the Safe and Sound plan for 5y/60,000mi for maintance,warrenty,wear and tear. It also has the Haldex AWD system with preloaded diff meaning instant traction when slip is detected.

Guys, I'm not sayin I don't like the Euro's I love them to death. I'm going from a maintenance standpoint of the OP needs to have someone else service his cars.....

If you will take note he also mentioned USED, if he wants to buy a new A4, then by all means that is what I would rather have. Thinking of the person and their wallet not what I personally think is "cool". I posted in haste I know and this is what happens here.

Relax I'm on the Euro side lol

So since we are talking about personal preferences and experiences here is my thought out piece.

Based on what you are looking at I would not put the Taurus or the CTS in the same league as the Imports. If you wanted to buy American I would stick with the CTS the Taurus is a first production year for the new model, let everyone else find out what the glitches and problems will be.

I would probably put the Mercedes higher up than the Audi and Lexus. The Mercedes could possibly be a headache with repair bills and the over engineered electronics that it has. I would stay away.

Which leaves the Lexus and the Audi. I personally would pick one of these two, being biased as a Toyota man and seeing the hardships customers wallets have had to go through on older (60K-120K if it makes it there) A4's I would much rather have the IS250. I do not know how long you intend to keep the car, but if you are going to keep it past 60K I think that the Lexus and the CTS would be the best bet in the long run. Then again if you are really spot on with maintenance the Audi would be a great car for you as well with a really proven AWD system.

I could keep going, but you get the idea and you claimed that you have pretty much made up your mind. I will be curious to see what you chose and why.