2006 Explorers...

V8 Beast

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd sell you my '05 eddie bauer explorer for $15k easily, and it just rolled over 50k miles. we've been very happy with it so far. third row is difficult to get to--i just have all 3 car seats across the middle row, with the 3rd row folded down. $18k is too much.

explorers do NOT make good tow vehicles, so i'm told. i just picked up a new car hauler, and the guy at the trailer dealership warned me strongly against using our explorer to tow

explorers do NOT make good tow vehicles, so i'm told. i just picked up a new car hauler, and the guy at the trailer dealership warned me strongly against using our explorer to tow

He say anything more, or just his opinion? I'm assuming it's stemming from the Explorer/Firestone debacle. Whereas, Uhaul themselves quit allowing trailers to be rented to Explorers, but allowed trailers to be rented to Mountaineers. He's probably forming his opinion from this type of publicity. As well, in 2005 or 2006 (whenever Ford made the face change) they also improved the frame, steering, and drivetrain of the Explorers. The v8's have no issue with pulling power, the 4.0's while a bit more sluggish have little issue unless you're at the limit of weight or exceeding it. My only concern is from the 5 speed behind the 4.0 and heat when pulling a very large load. I haven't heard many issues though from the 6speed auto's behind the V8's. If equipped with the factory tow package (tranny cooler) there really isn't any issue as long as the driver is coherent.

Yeah its that issue. Thats why I went with the 2006 as one of my choices and not a 2005. From 05 to 06 they made it stronger and gave it better safety features. If I need to rent a trailor I have to have a 2006 or newer thanks to that whole issue. They are rated to tow over 5000 pounds. With my car an trailor it would be a total weight of just below 5000.

He say anything more, or just his opinion? I'm assuming it's stemming from the Explorer/Firestone debacle..

he didn't elaborate. i figured he was referring to the firestone mess, but who knows--this guy sells trailors for a living, and was pretty knowledgeable. our '05 has the weak v8, so i will probably end up using our caddy if my wife will let me.

I wouldn't tow a car with an explorer, but hey what do I know.

I dont know... what do you know? I hate posts like this. Post facts or dont post. The thread is to help me find a good truck. If you know something I dont that will help me then please post it.

I dont know... what do you know? I hate posts like this. Post facts or dont post. The thread is to help me find a good truck. If you know something I dont that will help me then please post it.

I've just grown up pulling large trailers and learned how to tow with a large trailer (30+ ft) and have made cross country trips as half of a pair of drivers and I wouldn't trust towing a car with less than a 3/4 ton.

I've just grown up pulling large trailers and learned how to tow with a large trailer (30+ ft) and have made cross country trips as half of a pair of drivers and I wouldn't trust towing a car with less than a 3/4 ton.

Cool, thanks broham. Its only going to trails, kil-kare, and Dragway 42. The longest drive is about 2 hours and it will only tow 4 times a year (the rest of the time I drive the car to the track). If its only a few times per year will it really make that much of a diffrerence?

Cool, thanks broham. Its only going to trails, kil-kare, and Dragway 42. The longest drive is about 2 hours and it will only tow 4 times a year (the rest of the time I drive the car to the track). If its only a few times per year will it really make that much of a diffrerence?

I think LJ's point was that the Explorer, while it technically can handle the tow, isn't the best option when thinking of hauling for safety reasons. Reasons being that a larger (3/4ton +) vehicles can handle, brake, accelerate and all around tow better than a smaller vehicle which is maxed. I don't think he was really talking about the reliability of the tow or tow rig.

One time a year, four times a year, or 100 times a year really doesn't matter (about making a difference) if that one time you have a failure while towing kills you. A poorly setup tow rig, or trailer can cause deadly accidents no matter what size the tow rig is. But, having a bigger rig is playing on the safe side when it comes to rolling the dice. Bigger, in these cases, is usually better.

Given that you want to pull your car, I'd suggest something bigger than the explorer myself. I'd opt for a Diesel Expedition in the flavor of a 7.3L. You get the carrying capacity and towing capacity.

If anyone can think of an suv in the $15k range that has 3rd row seating, 4wd, over $6000lbs tow capacity, and good safety ratings please let me know. My bonus check is being held for ransom by my job so its looks like I have a month to make a decision.

Look at some Yukon XL's. Mine is a little older but it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Also I have a frind that has an explorer. I believe its an 05 or 06, (not real sure). Anyway, he tows a small 6x10 trailer and 1 motorcycle and he has had 2 rear ends in it in the last year and a half and he doesnt do much towing.

Edited by KennyFKINPowerz

My uncle tows his nova to norwalk quite a bit and has an 06 Explorer. Its the v8 version i believe and he hasnt had any issues whatsoever in the last 4 years hes towed with it. I guess everyone has their own opinions but I think as long as the car being towed is properly loaded on the trailer and the weight is centered well you shouldnt have issues. Ive rode with him a few times and with the v8 I really didnt even notice the trailer being back there, I cant speak for the v6 though.

I wouldn't trust towing a car with less than a 3/4 ton.

I'll never understand this. I've hauled a large selection of cars and trucks over the years thanks to always being "that guy with a car trailer" that everyone calls when they need help. I've used 1/2, 3/4, and full ton trucks. 2wd, 4wd, short, long, lifted, lowered, you name it.

For hauling a normal-sized car on an average weight car hauler, there is no real-world advantage of 3/4 over 1/2, besides maybe someone 'feeling' safer. If you have the load on the trailer correctly, the truck's spring rate shouldn't be an issue. Hauling heavy stuff... by all means, go bigger than 1/2.

Having said that, it sure would be nice to have a 3500 turbo diesel. :)

I'll never understand this. I've hauled a large selection of cars and trucks over the years thanks to always being "that guy with a car trailer" that everyone calls when they need help. I've used 1/2, 3/4, and full ton trucks. 2wd, 4wd, short, long, lifted, lowered, you name it.

For hauling a normal-sized car on an average weight car hauler, there is no real-world advantage of 3/4 over 1/2, besides maybe someone 'feeling' safer. If you have the load on the trailer correctly, the truck's spring rate shouldn't be an issue. Hauling heavy stuff... by all means, go bigger than 1/2.

Having said that, it sure would be nice to have a 3500 turbo diesel. :)

Well, from my experience of hauling massive loads to small loads, I can say the biggest thing is You do need a heavy rear spring and a good trailer brake controller. The biggest mistake I ever made was I was in a pinch one time and had to pull a 2 horse bumper pull without a trailer brake controller. I also didn't have heavy rear springs. This was in a 1/2 ton. Now people are gonna think, oh... heavy horses, blah blah blah.... An aluminum trailer and 2 horses is around 4400 lbs. One of the worst feelings I ever had. Now, if you got a double axle trailer, a good trailer brake controller, and set the brakes slightly higher than the vehicles brakes, you should be ok for short flat hauls, but to me the rear end will feel slushy. But hell, with the 8 horse and a 3500 we set the trailer brakes higher than the truck.

When I owned my Photography Business in 2006 and 2007, I towed my 7x16 enclosed that was fully loaded all over the US to tons of race tracks with my Chrysler Town & Country 3.3L. I did have a brake controller and I put some heavy duty shocks on it. It sucked but I did it. Thats why I bought the Yukon though.

Nice convo guys.. I'm learning a lot here. I have towed with my 06 Envoy slt about 8 times in the last 3 years. Other than feeling down on power it never really feeled unsafe.. just not very reliable. A few times I could tell I was over heating my tranny and had to give it a break.

Since I only tow about 4 times a year why dont I just rent a truck and trailor from one of you for $120 for a day. That way I can focus on comfort and not tow capacity :p :p

i will probably end up using our caddy if my wife will let me.

???? You bought it with the money you earned. Why would you even need to ask?

Well, from my experience of hauling massive loads to small loads, I can say the biggest thing is You do need a heavy rear spring and a good trailer brake controller. The biggest mistake I ever made was I was in a pinch one time and had to pull a 2 horse bumper pull without a trailer brake controller. I also didn't have heavy rear springs. This was in a 1/2 ton. Now people are gonna think, oh... heavy horses, blah blah blah.... An aluminum trailer and 2 horses is around 4400 lbs. One of the worst feelings I ever had. Now, if you got a double axle trailer, a good trailer brake controller, and set the brakes slightly higher than the vehicles brakes, you should be ok for short flat hauls, but to me the rear end will feel slushy. But hell, with the 8 horse and a 3500 we set the trailer brakes higher than the truck.

I've towed about 6500, plus 500lbs of passengers, in my Avalanche, which is only 1/2 ton. Double axle 18' open care hauler, but at the time I didn't have the brakes working on it. Towed fine...braking was poor though. Hooked up the brakes and my brake controller, and good to go for towing anything.

I've towed with cars pulled too far forward and had no issues at all.