Windows 7 internet absurdly slow

Mowgli1647545497

So I upgraded to Winmdows 7 last night and now my internet has gone thru the floor.

Prior to this I had XP and logged ~6.5Mbps on a speed test. Now it pegs at ~0.50Mbps. Its like its throttled. Bounces right up to .5Mbps and stays there. I tested on my other PC, a laptop still on XP and its still at 6.5Mbps. so its not my router or cable modem.

Help!

Details:

Fresh Windows 7 (64bit ultimate) install on a new drive

No hardware changes at all except added the new harddrive

wireless is a PCI Linksys WMP300N

Router is also Linksys

Excellent to very good signal strength

What I've tried so far:

I've tried several driver updates. Tried allowing Win7 to use the default broadcom driver. Its currently running on the default driver.

I tried doing the following:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I disabled IPv6 support

double HELP.

Edited by Mowgli

I haven't had any speed issues at all with Windows 7. Same inconsistent speeds I've always gotten with Time Warner. OS wise, everything runs quicker than it did in Vista; all hardware is identical to my Vista install (well, I added a 6th hard drive, but Windows 7 is sitting on my RAID-0 like Vista did). 64-bit, Ultimate.

I haven't had any speed issues at all with Windows 7. Same inconsistent speeds I've always gotten with Time Warner. OS wise, everything runs quicker than it did in Vista; all hardware is identical to my Vista install (well, I added a 6th hard drive, but Windows 7 is sitting on my RAID-0 like Vista did). 64-bit, Ultimate.

I love 7, I got a Crucial SSD and talk about fast booting.

Found and fixed the problem. For some reason there were two network adapters present in Device manager:

- the Broadcom one that runs my linksys card

- and an Atheros L1 gigabit card one.

hmm no idea why that second one was there - I'd disabled the motherboard's onboard network port in bios before I started the install.

Anyhoo, I disabled the Atheros in Device Manager and *poof* back up to speed. In fact its now ~45% faster than XP was: its now ~9.7Mbps down (upload unaffected).

Whew.

----------

Wondering if I should turn IPv6 support back on. Or the other stuff..... probably wont until I run into some other problem.

I heard there is a free upgrade for vista users...how the heck do I get that?

Only applies if you have purchased a computer running Vista, or the OS as a box unit after June 26, 2009.

Fuckers don't offer it for everyone.

Hey guess what Microsoft, The Vista I got two years ago is still the same shitty Vista you're letting your recent customers freely upgrade from, you fuckers.

The wifes new laptop has 7 Ultimate on it, and thus far, its much better all around. Still have to grant permission for certain applications to run though.