03 Cobra block, look at this cylinder

BDHG940

I am not an engine builder and the guy selling this has a good reputation online. He has had the motor sitting for around 1.5 years just as a backup and needs a tranny. Listed it up online and wants a very fair price, 28k mile 03 block that did have a few bolt ons and still just the eaton on top.

He was telling me there were just a few scratches in this cylinder #4 and everything still has cross hatching in the cylinders. Is this something I should worry about or let me know. I just want to make sure Im not about to make a bad decision

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/on3p/cylinder.jpg

its sat for about a year and a half and the guy told me to come over its just a 7 hour drive to look before I buy. Said he would take it back even if I bought it and something came back completely screwed up if I just paid the shipping which its going on my account anyhow. I just dont want to make a bad decision and trying to stay away from the 35-3900 shortblocks when I know the 03/04 shortblocks can take what I am looking to do

Guest Removed

IMO, have it honed and open up the bore tolerance some...and rering it!

the cobra motors are bad about the pistons swelling and dragging the bores when a turbo is strapped on it.

thats how alot of the high HP cars are living longer making tons of power. and with a proper tune, its all good.

Guest Removed
thats show little signs of drag there, yes. but it would be a great foundation for a starting point! the thing you dont know is till you pull the pistons out..the factory bore claerance on those are too tight from the git go. that why i said what i said. open up the clearance and rering it with the proper gaps, and toss it together and throw a bunch of boost at it. make sure you dont reuse the main or head bolts, the arp head studs have a stupid price, but are well worth it in the long run. and use arp on the mains too,the factory bolts are NOT reusable! Edited by Removed

Guest Removed
its sat for about a year and a half and the guy told me to come over its just a 7 hour drive to look before I buy. Said he would take it back even if I bought it and something came back completely screwed up if I just paid the shipping which its going on my account anyhow. I just dont want to make a bad decision and trying to stay away from the 35-3900 shortblocks when I know the 03/04 shortblocks can take what I am looking to do

they cant take what your looking to do factory stock..trust me! depending on how much you plan on making anyway.

how much power you looking to make?

No I was trying to just keep it to a minimum. Im not going all out just trying to do the least amount for the time being and be safe for at least the 600-650hp range.

Im going to throw a lowball, see if he bites and hope to get away doing bearings, re-ring, hone with arp main and head studs?

Guest Removed
No I was trying to just keep it to a minimum. Im not going all out just trying to do the least amount for the time being and be safe for at least the 600-650hp range.

Im going to throw a lowball, see if he bites and hope to get away doing bearings, re-ring, hone with arp main and head studs?

if your doing that, then you'll be fine...lol

things got manley rods in it already, with arp rod bolts..

throw a decent piston upgrade at it and you should be golden

You can build a teksid for the same amount it will cost to build the one your looking at. Looks like the pistons will have grooves on the ring lands.

Not disputing your info or anything, but I'd like to know where, and how I can build a Teksid for $1100.00, that will handle at least 700hp.

You can build a teksid for the same amount it will cost to build the one your looking at. Looks like the pistons will have grooves on the ring lands.

i agree with this dude. that is a no go on the 03. ok he buys a o3-04 block lets say it need bored and new pistons. ask dover how much that cost lol. you could buy a bare teksid block and a stroker kit put it together and be 500 more then if he rebuilds the 04 block. you would be crazy not to just do the strong block anyways.

i'd buy the shortblock, bore it 0.020 over, and get some good pistons in there. reuse the rods, with new rod bolts, and you're good for 700rwhp all day long with no heat expansion problems with the pistons.

as stated, these motors were all hand-built. some have issues with piston to wall clearance, some don't. some have even blown motors completely stock, with back to back high speed highway runs (prolonged boost---high temps). ford went with tight clearance on purpose to avoid piston slap on cold starts.

like i said, i would definitely bore it, and get some better slugs in there. the rods/crank/block can handle 800 hp without a sweat. get some rod bolts and you're golden.

Guest Removed
i'd buy the shortblock, bore it 0.020 over, and get some good pistons in there. reuse the rods, with new rod bolts, and you're good for 700rwhp all day long with no heat expansion problems with the pistons.

as stated, these motors were all hand-built. some have issues with piston to wall clearance, some don't. some have even blown motors completely stock, with back to back high speed highway runs (prolonged boost---high temps). ford went with tight clearance on purpose to avoid piston slap on cold starts.

like i said, i would definitely bore it, and get some better slugs in there. the rods/crank/block can handle 800 hp without a sweat. get some rod bolts and you're golden.

the stock manley rods have arp bolts in them.