Whats the best gaming console to buy?

HotCarl

So im on vacation all week and want to go shopping. I know PS3's can download movies and do all kind of crazy shit but arent they more expensive? xbox 360's are nice but dont they break often (ie, red ring of death from what i understand)? Dont need a Wii, im buying one for my girl this christmas anyway. I'll probably play it often this week but with my work schedule and other commitments i probably wont play more than a few hours a week so im not trying to spend a ton.

Must have:

A good first person shooter game

Preferably a good hockey game

NOT break within the first 6 months of owning it

NOT cost over $500

Be user friendly with its online play

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urgh, not this question again.

Ha, sorry man i had to ask. Now that i think about it i probably should've searched, oops.

As for the PS3 I do not have a blu-ray player yet so that could definitly come in handy. But modding an xbox 360, isnt that somehow illegal to download free games? Not that i care so much about the legality of it but i always hear of microsoft suspending peoples accounts and whatnot?

Get PS3, you'll feel like a retard paying to play online if you get a 360. And, yes microsoft does everything it can to fuck you off their servers when playing with illegally downloaded content.

NHL10 on PS3 + free online gaming + blu-ray = win.

Also, the 120GB PS3 is $299, the Xbox 360 Elite is the same price. The COD:MW2 edition is $399 and you get an extra controller, the game, and for some reason a 250GB HDD.

In my apartment for the past 2 years we've had a:

PS3

Xbox 360

N64

SNES

NES

Wii

Sega Dreamcast

Of all those, the Xbox simply gathered dust because no one wanted to pay for an online subscription. We had 4 controllers for that and only 2 for the PS3 but we played that about twice as much as any other console, with the exception of N64 (Mario Kart).

edit: OH YEAH and of all those consoles, the ONLY one that ever malfunctioned on us was the Xbox RRoD, which happened after a year for no reason because no one ever played it.

I'd say 360. They have a far more solid support for their multiplayer network than the ps3's free network as well as a crap ton of marketplace things to pick up for the games you'd like. The ps3 has the blu-ray and what not but is a lot more expensive. Go check out that thread where walmart is selling (or was) a 360 with a 100 dollar gift card for 199. That's a stupid awesome deal.

I've had both the 360 and the PS3. I no longer own a 360, however, simply because I went through three due to the RROD. PS3 is much better as a media/game console but I miss the online play on 360. Sure, it costs money to play online on 360, but the online play was MUCH superior to the PS3's. I like 360's controller better as well.

Guest slow f23

^ best game i've ever played.. by far. so addicting! haha

i've got a 360 i'm looking to get rid of if you are interested OP.. pm me. bought it off steve (jus2sweet) a year or so ago.

Guest tbutera2112
lol at people bitching about having to pay to play online with xbox.... 50 bucks for a year....if thats seriously a budget buster for you, maybe you shouldnt be spending your money on video games anyways

I have both and I prefer the 360, controller feels better and the graphics on the PS3 arent so earth shattering compared to the 360. The PS network is free but has its issues and yes the XBL is monthly payment but it offers exclusive videos and updates.

I would say just play with both of them and see whta interests you