HB 191 Strret Racing Law, being debated today

GonneVille

The "Monica Durban Law" is up for debate today on the House floor.

The bill as it is written: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/BillText128/128_HB_191_I_Y.html

The Bill Summary: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=128_HB_191&hf=analyses128/h0191-i-128.htm

Kiss your cars goodbye, people, this shit gives the state the right to seize your car for leaving hard from a light, even if you're the only car for five miles around.

The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway."

Under the bill, in addition to any other sanctions, the court must order the criminal forfeiture of the motor vehicle the offender was operating at the time the offender committed street racing if either of the following applies: (1) the motor vehicle the offender was operating at the time of such violation is registered in the offender's name, or (2) the motor vehicle the offender was operating at the time of such violation is not registered in the offender's name but is registered in the name of another person, and the person in whose name the motor vehicle is registered or the person in control of the motor vehicle permitted the offender to operate the motor vehicle and that person knew or had reasonable cause to believe that the offender would operate the motor vehicle in violation of the street racing prohibition or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance.

If you get convicted of street racing -which now includes ANY AND ALL hard acceleration, high speed, hard cornering, even if no other car is participating- then the court will be REQUIRED, not allowed, REQUIRED to seize your car, with no discretion given to a sentencing judge. So quite literally, if you take off from a light any faster than the rest of traffic, an officer can decide you were racing, arrest you, impound your car, and the court will convict you, take your car and either crush it or sell it at auction.

Even worse, if you are WITNESS to a race, they can decide you were ENCOURAGING the race, and THE SAME PENALTY APPLIES. Worse, there doesn't seem to be any limitation on what can be considered "encouragement" of a race.

In addition, the bill provides that persons rendering assistance or encouragement in any form or manner to the defined competitive use of vehicles must be equally charged as participants (bill's additions to existing law are in italics).

This means, potentially, that if someone talks about a street race on here, and they get convicted for that race, hat anyone who even says something positive about that race can be charged with street racing, and face jail time and long-term license suspension.

In addition, for you guys with nitrous systems, they're going to require you to sign a statement saying you won't use purchased nitrous "in any motor vehicle that I operate on any public road, street, or highway in the state of Ohio." Gee, it doesn't say "in any motor vehicle BEING OPERATED on a public road", it says that you can't use it in a car that you operate on a public road. That leaves a lot of room for them to decide this means that even if you never use it on the road, they can charge you for using it at the track in a car that is also driven on the street. If you "violate" that statement, they'll charge you with misdemeanor falsification.

This bill gives police and courts free reign to consider ANY behavior they disapprove of as street racing, and destroy the life a livelihood of anyone they wish to without even having to produce any kind of real evidence.

Monica Durban either doesn't have a fucking clue just how badly this law she's allowing her name to be attached to can be abused, or she is so dead-set on revenge against a dead man's friends that she doesn't care that it's going to destroy people's lives.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monica Durban either doesn't have a fucking clue just how badly this law she's allowing her name to be attached to can be abused, or she is so dead-set on revenge against a dead man's friends that she doesn't care that it's going to destroy people's lives.

How about her life which was already completely destroyed through pain and suffering incredibly unimaginable. Listen, I'm not a fan of a lot of the wording and intent of the bill, but this statement about Monica is disgusting.

There's no way a law like that can pass, can it?

That just seems WAYYYY beyond ridiculous. Completely over the top.

Yes it can and I am guessing it will. Other states have had laws like this for years and they have not been changed.

The whole fire engine thing is just fucking dumb and I would like my time back for reading that statement.

How about her life which was already completely destroyed through pain and suffering incredibly unimaginable. Listen, I'm not a fan of a lot of the wording and intent of the bill, but this statement about Monica is disgusting.

It's not about being a "fan" of the bill. It's ridiculous, and the potential for abuse appears to be almost deliberately written into it.

I'm not going to be PC about this. If she is aware of how badly this law WILL be abused, and still allows her name to be used on it, then she's made a choice and she can live with the consequences. If she is NOT aware of what is in the bill and the potential ways it can and will be abused, then why is she putting her name on it anyways? I don't know the details of her injuries, or whether she has any mental impairment or whatever. If she does, then her FAMILY should be protecting her from having her name put on such horribly written legislation.

In any case, the lawyer/lawmaker/politician(s) who authored or sponsored this bill need to be removed from office.

You know what? Lets just make any car with over 100 horsepower illegal to drive on the street. That will solve everything. Also, guns and cigarettes should be illegal! Come the fuck on.

I'm all for making the streets safer, but there's a point when some laws are just plain bullshit, for several reasons. Do you know how many police officers could abuse this?

Provides that any person who purchases nitrous oxide at retail in Ohio who uses nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle that the person operates on a public road, street, or highway in Ohio is guilty of falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree.

FYI - A DUI is also a 1st degree misdemeanor. Using nitrous anywhere other than a track under this law is the same as a DUI.

You know what? Lets just make any car with over 100 horsepower illegal to drive on the street. That will solve everything. Also, guns and cigarettes should be illegal! Come the fuck on.

I'm all for making the streets safer, but there's a point when some laws are just plain bullshit, for several reasons. Do you know how many police officers could abuse this?

You mean more than the current number who abuse the Law now? I see Cops do illegal things all the time for no reason other than that no one questions them.

There's no way a law like that can pass, can it?

That just seems WAYYYY beyond ridiculous. Completely over the top.

It can, and it WILL, because nobody is going to speak against it. Even if someone did speak against it, they would be ignored as being supportive of street racing, rather than simply against an abusive law.

FYI - A DUI is also a 1st degree misdemeanor. Using nitrous anywhere other than a track under this law is the same as a DUI.

Or, for that matter, riding a motorcycle after dark with a learners permit. Nobody said it had to make sense!