Columbus noob here...what's up?!

Bkizz

Hey guys and girls, what's up? I am a newbie to this forum so I thought I would make this my first post. I live in Hilliard just right outside of c-bus on the west side. Jagr from riderforums.com pointed me this direction so it will be cool to find some locals I can ride with. I look forward to meeting up with some of you.

I've always been really into cars but just made the switch over to 2 wheels last summer. I can't believe I didn't buy a bike long ago because I absolutely love it! I bought a 2007 Suzuki GS500F off of craigslist as my "starter" bike last summer and quickly logged on almost 4k miles in a few months from commuting and cruising. My car sat in the garage most of the summer and fall. After a while, the GS just didn't have the power I was looking for and I hated that it was carbarated...what a pain in the *** getting that to start, expecially cold.

In November, I started casually looking at other bikes. I wanted a good looking bike that was quick, affordable, good for commuting and bearable to insure. I wasn't really interested in something that could do 160mph. Besides, I could get myself in enough trouble even with the GS. I had thought about getting an SV650 but I didn't want a naked bike and the styling of the fully faired verson just didn't do much for me. Then my attention was diverted to the 650R and after reading up on it, I loved what I saw. I stumbled across this 2008 at ASK powersports in Grove City with 2000 miles. After some haggling, I got them to give me a decent amount for my GS and knock the price of the 650R down to $3999!! The best news is IT'S PAID OFF.

Well, like every other machine I've owned, I couldn't help but modify it. First to go was that goofy rear fender. The red wheels had to go too so I had them powdercoated gloss black and replaced the red rear coil-over shock with a silver one from a green 2008. Other mods include an Arrow titanium slip-on, Power Commander III, Suburban Machinery bars, blacked out windscreen, eliminated front reflectors and "Ninja" brake reservoir cap. I also added a few other touches like painting the body screws gloss black, making the "TOKICO" front brakes stand out in silver and sliding the front forks up about 14mm to give the front end a lower stance. My next addition will be R&G sliders and mirror extensions so I will be able to actually see what is behind me.

Unfortunately, it is still winter...damn it. I have still had the bike out quite a bit when the temps warm up to the 40's and 50's. It's a cold ride but is totally worth it to me. The real downside is how filthy the bike is from riding on messy wet roads...again, it's still worth it.

Well sorry for putting everyone asleep... Finally, a picture.

kawa.jpg

A picture of my other baby...2006 Accord V6 6-speed...modified of course. :)

2691805684_9a8f96fe7e_o.jpg

Here's the old GS:

Suzuki037.jpg

Edited by Bkizz

Welcome Rider. Good to have you here. :wheeliezx10:

And thanks for the comments Sgirl and SwingR'. You guys rock too.:badgerrock:

Weve got a lot of really good and knowledgeable people in here.

The only thing we ask is you wear your gear. See you soon.

The only thing we ask is you wear your gear. See you soon.

Always, I like to keep my head in tact and skin on my body if I can help it. I'd like to pick up some better pants though...like reinforced jeans or something similar.

Thanks for all the comments!

Always, I like to keep my head in tact and skin on my body if I can help it. I'd like to pick up some better pants though...like reinforced jeans or something similar.

Thanks for all the comments!

yep. get some of those mang.

Hilliard huh? We have a few riders in Hilly-yard.

Welcome!

Gorgeous bike. Those black 08's nearly killed me when they came out...I wanted a black so badly but figured they weren't doing another black after the 06's. I'm jealous :D Great choice with the SM bars too; the stock bars are my biggest gripe with this bike.

Where do you store the bike, anywhere near campus? Any chance I could stop by and hear that pipe of yours within the next few weeks or so? I'm getting sort of bored with my bike and I'm planning on tossing an Arrow on it to spice things up a bit; they sound great from the vids I've seen but I would love to hear one in person.

Also, just thought I'd throw this out there; http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/ is a fantastic place to get 650r parts and the owner hosts a really good 650 forum. Worth a look if you're a 650r rider for sure :)

*edit*

Also...goddamn you got that thing for a song. If I'm lucky, I'll have my 07 paid off at the end of this summer :(

Edited by Harb67

Where do you store the bike, anywhere near campus? Any chance I could stop by and hear that pipe of yours within the next few weeks or so? I'm getting sort of bored with my bike and I'm planning on tossing an Arrow on it to spice things up a bit; they sound great from the vids I've seen but I would love to hear one in person.

The bike is in my garage just waiting for another semi-warm day. Yea, I'm fairly close to campus...maybe 10-15 minutes away max. Just let me know one weekend if you would want to meet up to check out the Arrow. I'm warning you though, once you hear it, you will want one right away so maybe you should wait untill you have that tax return in hand. :)

Edited by Bkizz

welcome! nice bike!

welcome!

not quite my style of bike, but it was modded nicely. i dig it.

as for the accord, i work for honda, and the v6 6 speeds are a blast to drive.

hope to see you around, even though i'm in cinci territory ha.

wait...so you work for Honda but ride a Yamaha?!?! :nono:

haha j/k

The bike is in my garage just waiting for another semi-warm day. Yea, I'm fairly close to campus...maybe 10-15 minutes away max. Just let me know one weekend if you would want to meet up to check out the Arrow. I'm warning you though, once you hear it, you will want one right away so maybe you should wait untill you have that tax return in hand. :)

Sounds good. I'm free at least one day every weekend; this weekend it's looking like Saturday. Looks like it'll be fairly cold though, so I dunno if you'd wanna roll the bike out of the garage and fire it up or not. I'm in no rush though, I have to wait until spring break to work on my bike anyway (it's up at my parents house near akron :( )