New ride/Project :D

BoostedAce

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So. As some of you may know my car won't go in to gear. So I towed it last night from my garage to my school at 1am. My friend works at U-Haul and got me the truck and trailer free to use for 2 hours. Trans will be comming out tomarrow

I had that problem with my 91 TSI AWD it was the trans. completely toast.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the trans out in a hour and found this......

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/Boosted_ace/FlyWheel.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/Boosted_ace/Clutch.jpg

Clutch is done, spring on the left broke and clutch is trashed. TOB needs replaced and I need to get a new fly wheel disc.

go with a street disc this time, you'll be much happier than a puck and it'll hold just fine for what you intend to do with the car.

+100 for that. QFT! Get a 2600 or a southbend stage 4.

go with a street disc this time, you'll be much happier than a puck and it'll hold just fine for what you intend to do with the car.

Ok, so I have to buy one tonight so my cars not just taking up a lift, I can't remember what brand slowmo told me to go with. But the flywheel plate is changeable so i would rather just buy a new plate, but if I had to I would resurface it.

Run a 2600 and an organic street disc. I would also get rid of the aluminum flywheel and also get an ACT chrome moly one. They hold up well and aren't that much heavier.

So far I have been looking at southbend and ACT since those have been recommended. They are both around the same price. But im getting confused on which one since people are telling me street disc and extreme or somthing like that. Sorry im not familiar with tranys and cluths and stuff.

http://www2.advancedclutch.com/1103050/0/0/0/1990_EAGLE_TALON_TSI_L4_2.0L_T_FI.html

So far I have been looking at southbend and ACT since those have been recommended. They are both around the same price. But im getting confused on which one since people are telling me street disc and extreme or somthing like that. Sorry im not familiar with tranys and cluths and stuff.

http://www2.advancedclutch.com/1103050/0/0/0/1990_EAGLE_TALON_TSI_L4_2.0L_T_FI.html

I haven't run these sorts of clutches in a long time but my assumption would be that you want MB1-XTSS. The disc is the same between the two choices (MB1-HDSS vs MB1-XTSS). The level of "extreme" is the clamping force of the pressure plate. Call them and ask what extreme equates to what number. My assumption would be that "extreme" equates to 2600 and "max extreme" equates to 2900. I say this because ACT always had the stance that you couldn't use a street disc on a 2900 pressure plate although everyone did it.

+100 for that. QFT! Get a 2600 or a southbend stage 4.

Am I reading this right, why would a Stage 4 Clutch be more streetable than a stage 2? I always thought the higher the number, the greater clamping ability, and that it usually came at the expense of being driveable. I'm trying to plan a future clutch/flywheel upgrade myself, and while I've gotten the correct flywheel settled, I can't make heads or tails between different clutch ratings.

Am I reading this right, why would a Stage 4 Clutch be more streetable than a stage 2? I always thought the higher the number, the greater clamping ability, and that it usually came at the expense of being driveable. I'm trying to plan a future clutch/flywheel upgrade myself, and while I've gotten the correct flywheel settled, I can't make heads or tails between different clutch ratings.

This isn't always the case, it really boils down to research & asking others of their personal experience.

The pressure plate design & clamp strength, clutch disk material (can be different on both sides), sprung vs solid hub, and whether or not you have a DMFW, and are switching it out, all control relative "driveability".

I daily drove my old talon around with the act2600, put just over 60,00 miles on that clutch actually and had no complaints, but it may not be for everyone.

I have a south bend stage 4 SS/OFE on the way for the daily now. It should be similar in theory to the 2600. They claim a 50%+ increase in pedal effort, which is fine with me, as the stock clutch is like pushing down a piece of grass. :D

Clutch technology has come a long way in the last few years for Mitsubishi. In the old days, you had to use very heavy duty pressure plates to get the cars to hold big power. It came at the expense of really tearing up the transmissions as the disengagement was not good at all (particularly at non-stock RPM). Basically, if you need anything stronger than your run of the mill 2600/street disc combo then you should be looking at twin disc setups if you want the trans to last (and shift faster).

1990 Eagle Talon Tsi Awd

Engine has a fresh re-build all new seals timing belt water pump.

This car came from texas and has not 1 bit of rust under it. :D

4G63 6bolt

fidanza 8lb flywheel

balance shaft elimination kit

new oil pump

evo 16g turbo running 14lbs

stage 2 clutch (fidanza four puck sprung)

autometer boost guage

new speedo cable

Car will be getting a bigger fuel pump and 550cc injectors SAFC Apexi Neo and a tune.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/Boosted_ace/91DSM2.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/Boosted_ace/91DSM1.jpg

Are you planing on using DSMLink?

Well the Southbend Clutch uses a better clutch disc technology rather than a heavy PP like Mike C already said. The PP in the southbend is actually a 2200, much less than a ACT 2600 and feels close to stock. Which is great for DDing a 400-450 hp car like i am.