Pickup or Jeep?

zeitgeist57

I've had "Cleetus", in the form of 3 different '80s Chevy C10's and C20's, for the last 7 years as a third vehicle. Every one of them I have used extensively. I've enjoyed the simplicity of maintenance (relatively speaking), cheap parts, and utility: there isn't anything I haven't been too afraid to tow, from a ton of gravel in a 1/2 ton truck, piano(s), a '71 Dodge Dart shell cut into 3 sections and ratchet-strapped to the bed for scrap, a Bobcat, my Corvette on several occasions, countless appliances both new and used, the list goes on...

However, I've recently been aware of the fact that much of what I haul could just as easily be put on some sort of trailer. Also, with a family that is sure to grow, I could put a few extra seats to good use. It would also be nice to have 4x4 for some fun, or just traction when the weather gets dicey. With the trailer, it would be nice to separate hauling duties from everyday driving, especially when just going around town for lighter trips.

I've done some light googling, and was wondering how much a typical YJ or TJ Wrangler can tow. I think I saw 5000lbs somewhere. Has anyone out there walked away from a pickup truck lifestyle for an SUV and trailer?

Jeep Wranglers suck for anything more then light towing. My old boss had one and it was pathetic even with the 4.0. You'd want to get something a little bigger to get any real use out of it. If you ever want to pull your Vette again or anything that big I'd steer clear from anything Jeep sells. Maybe a Tahoe or something similar would work well, of course then you need a suitable trailer. Personally I'd rather have an extended or crew cab truck so I wouldn't need to own my own trailer for everything I wanted to haul. Don't forget you'd have to buy tags and take care of a trailer too.

A Wrangler is absolutely the wrong vehicle for anything but the smallest of small trailers. The wheel base is just too short. I would also think twice about towing a car with a 6 cylinder SUV. For what you're looking for it sounds like a crew cab truck would suit your needs best.

However, I've recently been aware of the fact that much of what I haul could just as easily be put on some sort of trailer. Also, with a family that is sure to grow, I could put a few extra seats to good use. It would also be nice to have 4x4 for some fun, or just traction when the weather gets dicey. With the trailer, it would be nice to separate hauling duties from everyday driving, especially when just going around town for lighter trips.

I've done some light googling, and was wondering how much a typical YJ or TJ Wrangler can tow. I think I saw 5000lbs somewhere. Has anyone out there walked away from a pickup truck lifestyle for an SUV and trailer?

This is my way of thinking and why I have gone the SUV route. It works well for me, and I rarely have needed to haul anything that didn;t end up fitting inside the Jeep anyway. I'm not sure what the Wranglers are rated to tow but the Cherokee is rated at 5000. I would caution that I don't think I'd want to do alot of max weight towing though. I agree that a truck or and SUV on a "real" truck chassis would be a better choice for towing a car. I don't like the idea of towing nearly double the weight of the tow vehicle. Also the short wheelbase of the Wrangler may not help much either.

Thanks, guys. That's why I love this forum: get an idea, post it up...receive great info!

I don't anticipate towing anything too heavy (like a camper or boat), but it was nice towing my Vette to PA for track day. A Jeep - even if it could tow a car hauler - would be dangerous in handling and seriously weak on braking...I did not think of those two issues.

My wife and I are most likely going to be picking up an older Suburban at the end of next year for a 3rd vehicle. Dogs to dog park, hauling, pulling, snow, dirt etc.

I too want an enclosed vehicle and a trailer to do my errands.

Good luck.

I like the suburban idea. My parents have a 2003 suburban with the 5.3 and tow package, and it has been rock solid for 140k+ miles now. It has towed a 30-foot travel trailer right at max towing capacity without issue since they bought it new, at least a couple dozen trips a year. It recently went to Canada and back at what we learned was actually about 500 pounds over max capacity when weighing in at the border.

You can fit a ton of stuff in it too with the 3rd row seat out, and it's needed nothing other than normal maintenance.

A Wrangler is much better as a to and from daily driver or even a toy. I had a YJ for six years. I sold it to buy my '03 Silverado. I admit, I will never go back to a Jeep for a DD. I do want another one for a toy someday in the near future though. The truck is just far more practical for me now.

I am also pretty close to getting rid of my truck, to be replaced by an SUV, probably an older Tahoe. Since I have a trailer to use, I am thinking I would really enjoy the extra room of a Tahoe, even with my current 4-door truck.

Add a wife and 2 kids with car seats + diaper bags, and that 'huge' cab is all of a sudden stuffed full. :(

I went from being a truck guy to being an SUV guy. I ended up with an 06 Hemi Grand Cherokee, and to be honest, it's as small as I would go to tow cars with, and even then I wouldn't want something more than midsize behind it. I'm not sure that a Wrangler would be suitable for anything bigger than a jetski.

There's nothing wrong with getting an SUV, just be realistic about it's capabilities. The other option is what was already mentioned, a crew cab truck.

The Wrangler and Cherokee are only rated to tow up to 5000 lbs. I would never ever want to tow that much with a Wrangler, but they are rated to that much. I would be a little more willing to tow that with a Cherokee, but still I would probably limit myself to around 4000lbs. Next step up would be a Grand Cherokee. If you are really concerned with towing, then I would be looking for one with the V8. They really only get get a few less mpg than the ones with the 4.0L. Both Grand Cherokee ZJ's (93-98) and WJ's (99-04) will tow up to 5,000 stock, but it goes up to 6,500 with the factory tow package (different axle and tranny cooler). Not sure on the newer Grands, but I would figure about the same with them.

its not about how much weight a vehicle can pull. a lot of cars can pull way over the rated weights, its about safety. If you have it loaded down are you going to be able to turn or will the front end be so light because of the load on the back that it hesitates a little. Also braking....just cause something can pull 5k lbs doesnt mean it can stop it safely. I've pull trailers from 500-20,000 with light weight trucks 1/2-1tons and you begin knowing the limits fast. If i were to buy a vehicle intended to pull 5k lbs (a car per say) i wouldn't buy anything less of a 1/2 truck.

LOL. Jeeps blow for towing in our experience. My dad tried to tow his boat (97 Malibu Sunsetter LX) to Alum Creek from Bexley in my sisters 2000 Jeep GC - 4x4/v8/loaded/etc - and it was sagging so bad in the rear and definitely wasn't up to the task.

He's had Suburban's ever since I can remember, starting in like 86, he took like 4 years off when he bought a Ford econoline conversion van from like 98-2002, and since then he's had a 2004 and now has a 2009.

It fits a 4x8 sheet of drywall in the back w/ the seats removed and literally will tow almost anything, I think like 12,000lbs.

I would leave a jeep for a beach cruiser/mud slinger, and not count on it doing any major towing.

Lots of good info in this thread. I had a TJ with the 4.0/5sp and 3.73 gears. It had plenty of power too. I towed a 17'11" tunnel hull with an outboard on a tandem axle trailer. The whole package weighed around 3000 lbs. It would get and go just fine, but handling and braking were on the verge of dangerous. I towed from Hilliard to Lake Cumberland Ky and back once with that combo. We had a situation on the way home where traffic was running along fine and came to a sudden stop out of nowhere. The momentum of that little boat nearly caused me to lose control. I bought a truck after that.

I now have a K2500 Suburban for all of the reasons listed by posters before me. It will haul anything and tow anything I have with ease. Mine is a 1993 8 Lug version with the 4L80E that I built a 496 full roller motor for since the factory 454 is anemic. In fact, I love the 'Burb so much that I am in the middle of a complete interior and paint resto of it.

Go with a big 'Burb and never look back.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/brianscy/The%20Burb/th_DSCF1437.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/brianscy/The%20Burb/th_DSCF0387.jpghttp://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/brianscy/The%20Burb/th_DSCF0386.jpg