'03 Sunfire/Cavalier Fuel Pump Replacement Questions?

twistedfocus1647545489

Has anyone here done a fuel pump swap on one of these? The wife's fuel pump seems to have gone out (no suprise... I also found out the filter was never changed in 110k).

I can buy a whole replacement module (pump/sender all in one) locally for about $250 and at RockAuto.com for about $170 for the Spectra brand and $220 for ACDelco... However Rock Auto also lists just the pump as a service item for ~$60 with this warning:

Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit; New Concept. Repair the faulty pump within the O.E.M. fuel pump module with this kit. Skilled Automotive Repair Experience Required for Install.

I have done fuel pump swaps before and don't expect it would be hard to swap the whole module, but being that it appears the pump is the only thing bad I'd prefer to just swap the pump out of the existing module. I know guys do something similar on Cobra's and such and it doesn't sound difficult. I'm certainly no mechanic but I'm not completely retarded with tools/wiring/etc.

So, does anyone have any experience with this type of replacement they can share? If I'm going to mailorder I need to do it today and I'm really not sure what is best for me to do. I'd really like to save the $200 this close to Xmas if I can without f-ing myself in the process.:confused:

I always recommend going with Delphi on a GM and that car you should just get the module as that is how it's intended to be replaced. As for dropping the tank on that car it really is one of the easier ones, you just have to drop one side out and slide it down at an angle.

why replace the whole module if only the pump is bad?

That is how GM designed it, its not considered a servicable item. Taking it apart can be done, but a few more parts would need replaced anyway to ensure there are not internal leaks. Like the flexable line from the pump to the top of the module, this peice needs to be cut most of the time to get it separated from the pump and it's not easy to get. The wires in there are not meant to be taken apart either. This type of thing can be done, but the proper and easier way is to just do the whole thing.

I always recommend going with Delphi on a GM and that car you should just get the module as that is how it's intended to be replaced. As for dropping the tank on that car it really is one of the easier ones, you just have to drop one side out and slide it down at an angle.

Yeah, I'm a cheap ass at heart but I would much rather pay the price and do it once if it seems I'm taking a risk with the pump only fix.

I was looking at it last night and haven't decided how to attack it. It looks like maybe the passenger's side would be the direction it has to come out? I wish all GM cars had access panels, but no it doesn't look like a hard job.

Guest tbutera2112
That is how GM designed it, its not considered a servicable item. Taking it apart can be done, but a few more parts would need replaced anyway to ensure there are not internal leaks. Like the flexable line from the pump to the top of the module, this peice needs to be cut most of the time to get it separated from the pump and it's not easy to get. The wires in there are not meant to be taken apart either. This type of thing can be done, but the proper and easier way is to just do the whole thing.

ahh...good info, thanks scott

Yeah, I'm a cheap ass at heart but I would much rather pay the price and do it once if it seems I'm taking a risk with the pump only fix.

I was looking at it last night and haven't decided how to attack it. It looks like maybe the passenger's side would be the direction it has to come out? I wish all GM cars had access panels, but no it doesn't look like a hard job.

You've got it, just don't put a jackstand there, I've been down that road. I will say that there are actually remanufactured pumps out there so you may actually be getting what you pay for, bite the bullet and find a Delphi.

You've got it, just don't put a jackstand there, I've been down that road. I will say that there are actually remanufactured pumps out there so you may actually be getting what you pay for, bite the bullet and find a Delphi.

Thanks.

I discovered that I can get one in from Carter through work for the same price as I can mailorder a Delphi. I trust Carter products for "upgrade" type stuff and would normally take their stuff over stock, but do you think that it would be ill-advised in this case?

Thanks.

I discovered that I can get one in from Carter through work for the same price as I can mailorder a Delphi. I trust Carter products for "upgrade" type stuff and would normally take their stuff over stock, but do you think that it would be ill-advised in this case?

Honstly I don't know what Carter does or have any experience with them personally. So you're on your own, Delphi is OE and why I stick with it.

you can also you a blazer fuel pump.. they aer cheaper but dont pickup at 1/8th a tank..

the fuel lines are the hardest part of the job if that gives you a idea on how easy it is to do the install.. Dont be scared it is pretty easy and straight forward

If u get the whole mod Jason I can do it in like an hour as long as there isn't a full tank

It's almost half full unfortunately. I think with a floor jack and a piece of plywood we can probably lower it without spilling it all in our eyes. I'm making arrangements to get the pump module today if I ever get a free second.

i didnt read a lot of this, but my sisters just went out earlier this year, julyish. they said the tank had to be dropped to replace it. my dads "friend" told him like $900 with parts, derek said he could do it for i think $425 with parts. they ended up just getting rid of the car because it was only worth like $2000 or so.

Guest Removed
i didnt read a lot of this, but my sisters just went out earlier this year, julyish. they said the tank had to be dropped to replace it. my dads "friend" told him like $900 with parts, derek said he could do it for i think $425 with parts. they ended up just getting rid of the car because it was only worth like $2000 or so.

and you never called me..for shame!

yeah the tank on these has to be dropped, and they arent as easy to do on the ground due to them being in front of the axle, and on top of the exhaust. but still rather easy to do.

and you never called me..for shame!

yeah the tank on these has to be dropped, and they arent as easy to do on the ground due to them being in front of the axle, and on top of the exhaust. but still rather easy to do.

i dont think i had dealt with you before at that point, or i would have called you.

Okay, apparently this tank is held on by hopes and dreams or some sort of Voodoo magic because it won't come down. I have both straps loose and all connections off yet its like it's held on from above.

Anyone know a trick to getting the tank to come down? The Haynes manual says to remove the exhaust heat shield and I popped some of the rivets loose so it could hang and it can;t be holding the tank up.