1995 Ford GT90 Concept Car

cinergi

I saw that on Autoblog and remember the original, though I didn't realize it was detuned to 400hp and the chassis may be underengineered as a viable driver.

Ideally, someone like Jay Leno would buy it, strengthen the chassis, and drive it until it breaks. Whoever buys it, I hope wouldn't spend more than $500-$750k on it. Yes, it was a great concept, but the platform is pre-pre-preproduction weak, and the only real character it has is that the idea got people fired up enough to warrant the intro of the recent Ford GT.

I should've been more clear. I was talking about the auto industry as a whole, sorry. My post was more about companies that spend millions on prototype cars that they know will never see the light of day outside of a car show

you entire post is fail!

3million on a car that never had a chance of making it to production...and they wonder why they are in such financial troubles

Spoken by someone who has no idea of the process. Everything custom made for a vehicle cost thousands of dollars. Prototype parts cost big bucks and building a prototype car in any large corporation environment is an expensive endeavor.

EDIT: I thought you were talking prototype car in general. I see you are talking car show type prototype car. It's just a part of the process. I guess using a prototype for advertisement also is better than it never seeing the light of day.

I saw that on Autoblog and remember the original, though I didn't realize it was detuned to 400hp and the chassis may be underengineered as a viable driver.

Ideally, someone like Jay Leno would buy it, strengthen the chassis, and drive it until it breaks. Whoever buys it, I hope wouldn't spend more than $500-$750k on it. Yes, it was a great concept, but the platform is pre-pre-preproduction weak, and the only real character it has is that the idea got people fired up enough to warrant the intro of the recent Ford GT.

I bet Leno ends up with it. However I imagine he won't change anything. I also bet it goes for < 500k

Damn, there are a bunch of tards in this thread. WTF??!!

That is a concept car, nothing more. A lot of concept cars don't even run, let alone can be driven hard. Most of them have custom "show" tires that aren't meant to be driven even at a highway speed. And this is for ALL makes out there, not just "the dumbmestics" for the haters.

You don't buy that car to drive it (or to freaking mod it to make it somehow driveable on the street). You buy that car as a show piece, as it is a piece of automotive history, that will likely increase in value.

"Epic Failure" because a car that was BUILT to be a displayed concept car, DID EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS BUILT FOR, and was never built to be a street driver somehow is an "epic failure."