Internet/Domain legal question

zeitgeist57

Hypothetical situation (to protect the innocent):

A guy owns EXAMPLE.com domain name, and has a blog operating with it. For some reason, said blog is "owned" by an LLC he established to protect his business interests. :rolleyes:

Yours truly is competing directly with this person, and realizes that EXAMPLE.net is available. The desire is to set up a website for informative purposes only, not commerce.

Keeping in mind that the only business interest the first guy has is intellectual property that can't be worth much. Can yours truly be put in the wringer for running a competing website name so close to this guy? Does he have the power to do a cease-and-decist sort of order?

CLIFFS: I don't want to buy a domain name if I am going to lose use of it from some whiny nerd. :)

I'd say it's said jack-asses fault for not buying both example.com and example.net if he intended to cyber squat them. Although it may be a pain for you to have to constantly deal with the problem that people may unknowignly go to his site when looking for yours based on the general tendency to type .com when going to most addresses.

You're fine, clay. If he were a gigantic business with lots of money, there could be a case there but if he was he would have already bought it. As long as you don't disparage his site or brand, should be a-okay.

I guess why start two things that are the same? Why not contact this Paul Milligan guy and see about working with him on it? He's gotta be someone from here and saw the posts about it.

It isn't registered to a business...

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=columbuscarsandcoffee.com&prog_id=godaddy

Paul Milligan

paul1287@gmail.com

89 Yorkshire Rd

Delaware, Ohio 43015

United States

740-803-1287

And lastly, legally you have no problem buying the domain and putting a site on it as long as you have valid interest and aren't just squatting the domain. The phrase "columbus cars and coffee" isn't a registered trademark or copyrighted. You're good.

Columbus Cars and Coffee is the largest exotic/performance car gathering in Central Ohio, and among the largest in the state. Approximately 30-40 cars were found at each 2009 event.
Buwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have to all go to one of "his huge events" and all park like 50 ft away. What a freaking douche bag.

Milligan, a life-long car enthusiast, has been involved with exotic car events in Central Ohio since 2007
Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, this guy is serious???

I've tried to link up with Paul on this for the last year, when we both coincidentally came up with Cars & Coffee groups in 2009. He seems like a nice guy. However, we see Cars & Coffee very differently, from how it's hosted to what we are each expecting out of it. Paul Milligan is a videographer that has done work in the "exotic" car crowd in Central Ohio and is catering to the Lambo/Ferrari owners. I don't give two shits what you drive (as long as you are proud of it), and quite frankly the more unique and individual your ride is the better. He wants to do parties, cruises, and grow a business around Cars & Coffee. I just want to have coffee and look at/talk about cars.

I tried to register for CC&C.com last winter, but Paul literally beat me to it by a month (Aesthetic_influx can verify). I asked him nicely on several occasions if I could work with him to use his website - even pay for space - to promote coffee meets every other Saturday, and he kept me out.

I've had more people email me (columbuscarsandcoffee@gmail) over the last couple of winter months than I ever did promoting CC&C last year. I didn't even have a website - just word of mouth through car forums/groups and email - and the interest is strong. I need to have a website more than he does, and that is why I'm setting one up.

P.S...the "Cars and Coffee" concept is not unique, as it really started several years ago in California. However, I went to a similar event in Naples/Ft. Myers for the years I lived in Florida, and loved it. When I moved back to Ohio in 2008, I knew I had to start it back up.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50172&highlight=cars+coffee

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47875&highlight=cars+coffee SEE POST #10

P.P.S...I'm not trying to "cyber squat", as domain names (by the grossload) aren't cheap and an unnecessary expense.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Buwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have to all go to one of "his huge events" and all park like 50 ft away. What a freaking douche bag.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, this guy is serious???

I would say it probably is one of the lager regular exotic gatherings in the state. In one of the pics there is an F-40. It's a pretty nice sized meet for exotics since you usually can't get those guys to come out to stuff like this on the street.

I'd love to own all of those domain names, but $8 to $10 a year for each name is too much. If anyone wants to buy a name and hold onto it for the benefit of our group I would be appreciative. :)

I'm just posting ideas for you. You wouldn't pick all of them, just one and make it the name of your group.

Oh...I already registered for columbuscarsandcoffee.net last night. However, I like Columbuspitbrew.com/.net also...wanna set something up with me? :)

LOL @ godaddy coupons on fatwallet...it's stupid how easy I also found those on Google. Saved me a bunch on other names I have registered for renewals at the same time last night as well.