WTB: Decent Car in 3-4k Range

Kevin R.

Ok. So the Mustang was totalled out by Nationwide and I am waiting for them to give me a number. This number could be good (4k ish) or crappy (2k ish). Who knows. I am going to bitch until the world's end if they offer me 2k so we will forget that number.

I am posting mainly so that if anyone sees anything that catches their eye that is decent, let me know.

I do not necessarily want a "Mustang replacement" nor another Mustang. Probably something with good gas mileage that doesn't smell nor look like someone took a shit on the inside. I just need something to get me through the next 6-8 months until I graduate and start my job where I can afford something newer and nicer.

Just thought I should start looking now because once Nationwide cuts me a check they are going to take this rental away in a heartbeat.

I appreciate any help or leads.

BTW if mods don't like this because it is not "specific" enough feel free to delete or move. Just looking for a little help.

My advice for you would be to get on craigslist and just scout out a deal. So many good deals on there if you have a general idea of what you're looking for, and even if not. . if you got some time to sort through the bullshit, it's worth it.

Good luck to you in finding something and getting the bigger end of the stick with that check ;)

Guest tbutera2112
if youre only needing it for 6-8 months, i would suggest picking up a thousand dollar beater on craigslist and putting the rest of the money into your bank account and just sitting on it to help towards a down payment on something nicer when you do go to buy something

if youre only needing it for 6-8 months, i would suggest picking up a thousand dollar beater on craigslist and putting the rest of the money into your bank account and just sitting on it to help towards a down payment on something nicer when you do go to buy something

Yes, but I don't want to have to put money into this car. It could be 6 months -- could be a year. I don't want to have to put tires, breaks, etc. into a car I don't plan on keeping. Plus, I don't want to look like a dildo face going to my new job in a rusted out 1980's smoking Pinto.

I bought my 2003 Focus ZX5 from the original owner 2 months ago for $4k. It's loaded and had only 62k miles on it. Sure its a focus, but its a fine daily and pretty nice for $4k. Deals can be had, I've seen a few zx3 focus for sale for like $2500 with around 80-110k miles.

Just a suggestion.

I have a couple VWs on the lot that may work for you. I know we have an 02 Jetta GL auto with 52k on it. There's also an 02 Golf GLS five-speed with 75k for ~$4000 and an 00 GTI GLX with 135k on it.

Let me know if any of those peak your interest and I can find out the prices on them. If not, I'll keep searching for you.

Not getting 3-4 now.

How come thats all the cars worth? the value for the car is that low or something? I hope you figure something because finding a nice car under 3k is hard.

lincoln ls, v-8 with manual tranny

Nope. Only the V6 was available in manual transmission. V8 was auto only.

Nope. Only the V6 was available in manual transmission. V8 was auto only.

Are you sure? I seen a v-8 manual last winter I wanted to buy.

The LS was introduced in early 1999 as a 2000 model year vehicle, in part as a successor to the Lincoln Mark VIII coupe that was discontinued after 1998. It was the first Lincoln in decades to offer an optional manual transmission. With its available V8 power, rear wheel drive, and near 50/50 weight distribution, the LS was an attractive alternative to European sports sedans.

I read the other day they made a few hundred manual transmissioned V8s in the first year. Good luck finding one.

Where did you seen it?

Yes I am sure.

Ford's 5R55S 5-speed automatic transmission with an optional manual shift ability called SelectShift was standard with either engine while a Getrag 221 5-speed manual transmission was available for V6-equipped LS models through an optional sport package.

The ones I seen were full out manuals not that slapstick shift stuff.

The ones I seen were v6 cars

fixed

Ford's 5R55S 5-speed automatic transmission with an optional manual shift ability called SelectShift was standard with either engine while a Getrag 221 5-speed manual transmission was available for V6-equipped LS models through an optional sport package.

Nice wikipedia quote. :)

Nice wikipedia quote. :)

yup:bangbang:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/LS1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/LS2.jpg

Edited by nurkvinny
Ha. We got way off topic.

Guest Removed
If I had around $4k to spend I would buy myself a lincoln ls, v-8 with manual tranny. I think their nice looking.

I would ask anyone to please run as fast as they can from one of these. Great looking cars and very comfortable but they are some of the biggest pieces of shit we get in at work. They are expensive to maintain and seem to have more problems than any other car we get on a regular basis. Its kinda sad cause I always like them too. Just my two cents, but hey what do I know... I only work for Ford.;)

i will be selling an 03 tauras here in a few weeks has 156000 on it with the 3.1 v6 clean car i run alot of apts all over ohio so put 50 60k on cars a year mostly highway anyways i will be slinging it for about 2200 have all records and chit for it it is the flex fuel car and gets good milage anyways pm me if intrested will have new brakes all around and tires when it goes