Windshild Washer Fluid Issue

wagner

My 2005 Element seems to like pranks. It plays a joke on me where sometimes it shoots washer fluid and sometimes it does not.

I checked the fluid and it does not appear to be frozen in the container. I checked as much of the line as I could and it seems to not be frozen. The nozles in the hood do not appear to have any ice clogging them on the outside.

When I try to activate the system I can hear the pump run but nothing comes out. The werid thing is that Yesterday on the way to work nothing. As I was stuck in traffic I thought I would try at Random and it worked allt he way home and even last night.

This morning on the way to work nothing.

If there is some sort of freezing isssue what is the best way to try and fix this?

Serious answers please save the funny for romper room

Don't know if it's a problem in your particular case, but it's very common on some cars for snow melt to seep into the spray nozzle from above and then freeze. I know you said you checked it from the outside, but just a tiny bit of ice is going to stop the flow.

Maybe to test it, next time it does it you could pour warm water on one nozzle and see if it works then, or if you are near a 110 outlet, use a small hair dryer just on the nozzle to see if it remedies the problem.

A number of the cars I've owned over the years had heated nozzles and even heated washer fluid reservoirs. The Range Rovers and some of the S-class Mercedes with the winter option package had that. Of course, I still needed to use fluid with anti-freeze properties, since the reservoir would freeze when the car was turned off.

Check the pickup in the reservoir. Maybe its clogged?

This is what I thought it might be, I just need to find a dry non snow covered place to check this.

I had this problem a few days ago.. turns out I was low on fluid lol. I know it sounds stupid but have you topped it off recently

Oh that is what I thought at first too and filled it up. I was actually really praying that is all it was. Not that lucky :(

I did get the extra warenty when I got it so if my dumb ass can't figure it out Carmax can.

Don't know if it's a problem in your particular case, but it's very common on some cars for snow melt to seep into the spray nozzle from above and then freeze. I know you said you checked it from the outside, but just a tiny bit of ice is going to stop the flow.

Maybe to test it, next time it does it you could pour warm water on one nozzle and see if it works then, or if you are near a 110 outlet, use a small hair dryer just on the nozzle to see if it remedies the problem.

A number of the cars I've owned over the years had heated nozzles and even heated washer fluid reservoirs. The Range Rovers and some of the S-class Mercedes with the winter option package had that. Of course, I still needed to use fluid with anti-freeze properties, since the reservoir would freeze when the car was turned off.

I will try this and I might pull the lines under the hood to see if there is a block before it gets to the nozzles on the hood.

Use the warranty. Id visually inspect, and if you cant find it quickly, take it in.

I plan on it as soon as i make sure it is not something I can fix. I hate dealing with dealerships they make everything very difficult when it comes to stuff like this.

Sounds like you may have a slight problem with freezing of the fluid somewhere in the line. Once the underhood heat gets to the line it thaws and there you go. I know that in a large quantity and storage space, that the fluid shouldn't freeze in these temps. I'll assume that in the line you have a space where the concentration of water is higher and it freezes in the lines somewhere. This happened to me on Sunday and when I hit the gas station almost all of the people were trying to get their windshield washer squirters to work as well. That is my best guess at this point.

Bring it to my house. I have a full bottle of fluid and I'm bored!

Just had the same issue with the edge. Checked the entire line and found the nozzle broke off. Had to install a universal nozzle until Ford gets some stockers in for me to pick up.

Switch to Rainex orange /thread

+1. It also helps keep the snow from sticking to the window. Not completely, but it helps.

When I had my old Beretta I kept a bottle of washer fluid with me in the car at all times. The washer motor had not worked for a very long time, but the wipers worked fine. So, every time I needed to wash the windshield I would hold the bottle out of the driver's window and "slosh" the cleaner onto it. :D

Well we figured out that the problem is that there might not be a problem at all. On the way over to Carter's the damn thing started working again. After we stood in his garage (with no pants on) we figured out it is a honda and it makes no sense.

I went to walmart filled it up with some orange drank and we shall see if that fixes it.

When I had my old Beretta I kept a bottle of washer fluid with me in the car at all times. The washer motor had not worked for a very long time, but the wipers worked fine. So, every time I needed to wash the windshield I would hold the bottle out of the driver's window and "slosh" the cleaner onto it. :D

OMG this wins.