CBS Rejects gay dating site Superbowl Ad.

SpaceGhost

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news/companies/mancrunch_ad_super_bowl/?hpt=P1

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2010/01/29/news/companies/mancrunch_ad_super_bowl/mancrunch.top.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Super Bowl network CBS rejected an ad Friday from ManCrunch.com, a gay dating Web site.

"After reviewing the ad, which is entirely commercial in nature, our standards and practices department decided not to accept this particular spot," said CBS spokeswoman Shannon Jacobs. "We are always open to working with a client on alternative submissions."

CBS (CBS, Fortune 500) said it turned down the ad partly for financial reasons, but ManCrunch believes that there's more to it than that.

"It's straight-up discrimination," said Elissa Buchter, spokeswoman for the Toronto-based dating site.

Jacobs of CBS declined to comment on the charge of discrimination.

Buchter provided a copy of the CBS rejection letter to CNNMoney, which states that the ad "is not within the Network's broadcast standards for Super Bowl Sunday."

The letter also states that the CBS sales department "has had difficulty verifying [ManCrunch's] credit status."

Buchter said that basing the rejection on credit status doesn't make sense because "we offered to pay cash." But Jacobs said CBS has no record of any such offer.

CBS is charging up to $3 million for 30-second spots. Buchter said ManCrunch would have been charged $2.5 million for its ad and would have had no trouble paying it, since the newly formed company recently raised $40 million from investors.

Shortly before ManCrunch announced the rejection, Jacobs of CBS said her company was reviewing the ad and it was "just one of many."

Jacobs also said the spots were "virtually sold out. We have one, maybe two spots left."

ManCrunch's ad, which can be viewed on its Web site, shows two men watching the Super Bowl. Their hands brush each other in the potato chip bowl, which inspires a passionate, male-on-male make-out session.

ManCrunch is not alone. Godaddy, an online retailer of Web site domain names, is running an ad in the Super Bowl this year but it had another ad rejected by CBS in the process. The rejected ad features a man named Lola.

This year's Super Bowl, between the Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints, will be played Feb. 7 at Sun Life Stadium near Miami. The facility in Miami Gardens, Fla., formerly called Dolphin Stadium, was recently renamed

Thank you CBS.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, they won't air this but they'll air the anti abortion, Christian commercial because supposedly they say they are unbiase even though they've been pressured to not air it. This was just last week. They sure flip flopped with this. Shouldn't be anything on there but football and beer commercials, anyway. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't give two shits. I just have no respect for double standards.

You = winner.

If people want to be gay, why do you have a problem with it? Perhaps you are in the closet?

I thought the exact same thing.. heres my professional opinion..

His response to this thread indicates that he is having trouble with his own sexuality. He feels that if he lashes out people would be less likely to think he enjoys another mans musk rubbing off on him as he cuddles his burly lover everynight. The first thing he needs to do is accept the fact that he likes the feel of men sausage on his tonsils. Thats the only way for him to be truley happy in this lifetime.

You = winner.

If people want to be gay, why do you have a problem with it? Perhaps you are in the closet?

They just bother me alot, felt like sharing it with you guys. Also I didnt have as much of a problem with it untill they started wanting all this attention, and putting up commercial? They should be hiding in their closets.

I thought the exact same thing.. heres my professional opinion..

His response to this thread indicates that he is having trouble with his own sexuality. He feels that if he lashes out people would be less likely to think he enjoys another mans musk rubbing off on him as he cuddles his burly lover everynight. The first thing he needs to do is accept the fact that he likes the feel of men sausage on his tonsils. Thats the only way for him to be truley happy in this lifetime.

lol ok, your so smart, no wonder your a moderator.

I don't want my young sons watching the ad.

And yes, large breasted GoDaddy ads are fine. :) And that site just got more advertising - for much cheaper - than any Superbowl segment.

So straight sexuality is OK for your young easily influenced sons to watch, but gay sexuality is not. Got it. :o

Yeah, playing devils advocate a little bit, they had to know that add had a possibility of getting rejected. Lots of bigots like you in the world to rely on.

Freedom relies on the premise that all people are free. Democracy relies on the premise that not the majority rule so as to alienate the minority, but that all people can be heard and live their lives as they wish.

Notice use of smiley.

I see a regular smiley there. For me that would usually denote being happy or agreeing with something. If I were trying to be sarcastic I might use this one. :rolleyes: Or this one. :bs:

Were you trying to be sarcastic? I didn't get that from either the tone of your sentence, or the smiley.

I see a regular smiley there. For me that would usually denote being happy or agreeing with something. If I were trying to be sarcastic I might use this one. :rolleyes: Or this one. :bs:

Were you trying to be sarcastic, I didn't get that from either the tone of your sentence, or the smiley.

I SEE. Now, you have to see:

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/30500/Hillary-s-Cleavage--30971.jpg