Is getting a background check for a job a good sign?

Aaron

Ok, so obviously it is a good sign, but what does it usually mean?

I interviewed for a job on the 27th. She said I was one of five applicants, and that she wanted to make her decision by this Friday (5th).

I get an email today with a link for a background check, and fill it out.

What does this usually mean? Do they usually have lots of people fill out the background check?

Just a bit nervous because I really want this job, and wanted to know what the usual process is. I haven't had a "real" job before (server and part time sales) and I am unfamiliar with the process.

Thanks guys.

i was just hired for a "real" job last week. they sent me for the piss test immediately following the interview. that was a first. she then call and said i had the job, but was on prelim status until my background check cleared. thumbs up fo sho. fo sho.

is a piss test and background check common these days?

I dont think Ive ever done either and I'd consider my job "real"

Yep, especially if it is a position which involves:

- Financial responsibility (bank tellers, mortgage brokers, corporate accounting)

- Heavy machinery (forklifts, trucks)

- HazMat/HazOp (anything that can't be cleaned up with a wet rag/mop, or involves potentially dangerous situations, like 655VDC buss bars)

- Customer facing (because, well, nobody wants to buy their computer from a doped up kid at BestBuy. Or something)