Good news for droid owners

CRed05

http://www.facebook.com/motorola?v=feed&story_fbid=294428153158&ref=mf

Motorola Hi all-- we know you are frustrated with the lack of details regarding Android software upgrades and we sincerely apologize for not being able to share info sooner. We're happy to relay the 2.1 upgrade to DROID will start to roll out this week, and we will have more information to share on other device upgrades later

But dont expect it to look like the Nexus, according to Engadget.

* It's based on Android 2.1. The build currently being circulated is identified as 2.1 version 1, mirroring the update just pushed to the Nexus One last week.

* Google Goggles is now pre-installed (no matter how unhelpful it may be).

* The browser's now multitouch enabled, just like Google Maps 3.4. Huzzah! No Flash, but then again, we weren't really expecting that.

* Interestingly, the home screen's still got the same look as 2.0.1, meaning it doesn't adopt the Nexus One's rotating 3D grid of app icons -- it's still got the pull-up drawer tab at the bottom.

* No active wallpapers. Bummer!

* The news and weather widgets introduced on the Nexus One are included. Maybe certain capabilities of 2.1 are going to be restricted to devices with minimum performance benchmarks?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrade really gives me nothign to look forward too. Rooted, with Bugless Beast, o/ced to 1g. Have all the stuff there coming out with anyway.

The upgrade will give ROM cooks a better and more stable platform to begin with. One that was actually designed for the Droid, as I am assuming they used a Nexus dump to create one for the droid. So even for Rooted and custom rom folks its good news. Rooted stock 2.1-update1 is the best ROM I've ever ran, better than anything even Cyanogen has released.

What a crock of shit. So they basically outright lied to me when I bought this phone. Still love it though.

Hey I could be wrong, but looking at the specs on that one, and Sense being a resource hog on top of the added features in 2.1, I dunno...

Ive know about this for a few days now..Finally got around to unrooting my phone and returning it to stock for the update.

I guess I can go without having a overclocked phone for a bit :)

Not sure how it works for the Droid. But people had the update rooted for the nexus in a matter of minutes after they got ahold of the update url. I didnt have to unroot, I just had to install update.zip, and then flash the rooted boot.img to re-root. The update will automatically unroot the phone, but it needs to be modified to ignore the signatures, which someone kindly did.

Not sure how it works for the Droid. But people had the update rooted for the nexus in a matter of minutes after they got ahold of the update url. I didnt have to unroot, I just had to install update.zip, and then flash the rooted boot.img

Sounds similar from what I understand.. I had my phone set to block OTA updates a while ago, I don't know if that setting was ever restored to normal. Oh well, I'm watching the droid forums carefully for the next few days.