6 speed z28 rear end whine

boosted_Ok

im looking to buy a camaro and i finaly found a z28 with a 6 speed and the only main problem im having is the rear end makes a whining noise?? owner said its been doing it and is common in trans am and camaro's.. im pretty sure its the pinion gear going bad but how long can it be driven like that and is this a pain to change? or expensive

if the car itself is in good shape then just replace the rear guts for $500 when you get it. If your not going to race the car then this option would be fine, just use GM parts and you'll be quiet.

6 speed cars are known to have rear end issues since they get "shocked" more when launching.

Mine did not whine until we installed the 4:10 Richmond gears. Apparently Richmond gears whine more than others. If yours are stock then might be worth it to replace them. Since it'll all be apart might be worth rebuilding the posi unit too (new clutches, etc...) Also could install a new rear end cover at the same time. I think I saw someone selling a 10 bolt cover on here, jegs brand if I remember correctly.

Guest Removed

some gears just whine. i have had a few sets in my day that no matter how i set pinion depth, or side load, they whined a little.(im talking whine you could barely hear, only cause the car was quite) but it could be a bearing whine aswell. these are bad about the pinion bearings going to shit and causing a whine aswell. hell i have even seen fresh gear oil quiet some down.

BUT! IMO if your going to drag race the thing and do hard lauch's with it, get away from the 10 bolt period. no sense in putting moneys in it when its just going to keep breaking the more you mod the car

some gears just whine. i have had a few sets in my day that no matter how i set pinion depth, or side load, they whined a little.(im talking whine you could barely hear, only cause the car was quite) but it could be a bearing whine aswell. these are bad about the pinion bearings going to shit and causing a whine aswell. hell i have even seen fresh gear oil quiet some down.

BUT! IMO if your going to drag race the thing and do hard lauch's with it, get away from the 10 bolt period. no sense in putting moneys in it when its just going to keep breaking the more you mod the car

+1 for pinion bearings going bad and whining. Gears can whine, but the pinion bearings take more of a beating in an f-body.

Guest Removed
+1 for pinion bearings going bad and whining. Gears can whine, but the pinion bearings take more of a beating in an f-body.

how many sets have you beat up, even being a auto trans car

+1 on replacing the rear... like James said, you can either get a used rear (make sure it's in good shape before buying... it might be for sale because someone trashed it) or save up and get a 9 inch.

I got mine used for $100 and had it rebuilt with stock 3.42's for $150. $250 for a completely overhauled stock 3.42 rear is pretty dam good imho.

My car makes more of a grinding noise under load rather than a whine. I'm sure it's the pinion bearings. I replaced fluid. Still did it. Pulled both rear axles, had them checked for straightness (and they were), put new axle bearings and seals in. Still did it. I've been driving it like that for 3 years. I even took the car to Marion last summer and ran it 10 times in one night. Granted, I have street tires, so it didn't hook for shit.

Irregardless, instead of dropping more cash on my rear (the car, not mine), I'm saving for a 9". But that's because I want to hit some track events. If I knew for sure that I wasn't going to race it anytime soon, then I'd just have the 10 bolt rebuilt.