Engine swap project?

Science Abuse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tiernay-Turbine-Engine-TT10-MEP-362A-Jet-Engine-Gen-Set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2305f0e4e0QQitemZ150423528672QQptZMotorsQ5fAviationQ5fPartsQ5fGear

I think it would be right at home in an FB RX7, or somethng else small and light.

The Tiernay TT10 Turbine produces 150 hp, and weighs 100lbs. All in a package less than 22 inches long. This Turbine Engine uses three fuel nozzles stock yet one can easily add three additional fuel jets bumping the horsepower close to 300.

Only on the grounds of you'd be the only one with one.

$5,500 for a 150hp swap that makes less torque than a rotary is going to be a tough sell for me.

They use a gearbox. Instead of shifting 1st at 77,000 RPM it brings it down to 12,000. This is a starter turbine, it should have a decent amount of torque.

edit: doc should buy it for that one japanese...thing... that he owns.

I'm seeing mixed specs saying it makes anywhere from 180lb ft to 300 lb ft.

I don't know about you, but I can carry 100lb on my back with no problem, the potential to have 300hp from something half my weight seems to worth it, cosidering that people spend that kind of money rebuilding Vtechs and 12A's for torqueless "race" applications.

Imagine replacing a 5.0 or SBC with that... or putting it on a go-kart or on the back of an Atom.....

With how much fuel a typical kart holds, you'd probably be able to get it started and 3/4 of the way to operating temperature before it ran out.

This is true. HP is directly related to the volume of air being run through the engine, and that air needs matched with an appropriate afr. The size of the engine is nice, but 300hp worth of fuel is 300 hp worth of fuel.

Is that a condom with a tie wrap sealing off the fuel line?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/007kettle/IMG_1260.jpg

It was common for the soldiers in Vietnam to use condoms to seal the barrel of the M16.