cut open oil filter

brennan

today at work, out of boredom, i decided to cut open one of my old R6 oil filters. when something is oem, i usually expect it to be top notch quality. to my surprise, this filter had some sort of hard object for filtration. i have no idea what this is made of. it doesn't look like that great of a filter considering how much i pay for it. i guess i can't just judge it right off the bat though without cutting open any other filters. i just find it odd, it doesn't filter anything like a car filter (well, it does only to an extent) opinions? anyone else cut open filters before? k&n or anything?

oemfilter005.jpg

oemfilter002.jpg

oemfilter001.jpg

oemfilter004.jpg

oemfilter003.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few

OilFilters2.jpg

bike filters, correct?

looks like i might actually be going against what i said and switching filters.

the springs are actually better than the flexible tab things if i'm not mistaken.

but even though something like the k&n has the flex tab (or whatever you call it) it offers more filtration paper

The spring is to allow bypass of the oil so the engine won't be left without oil under any conditions like a clogged up filter or a high rate of flow. That's right, most filters on engines do not filter at anything other than idle or near it. As the RPM goes up, the filter bypasses unfiltered oil to the engine. Think about that the next time your oil is dirty and needs changed.

I just noticed that Purolator is not recommending the extra high filtration filter for use on motorcycles. It says the higher pressure required may not be available on all motorcycles. This is new.

I mention this because some people consider the Purolator filters the best filters available. I use them, and still will, but I'm not going to be getting the "Pure One" with the advanced filtration for the bike. Just the regular one. And dang it, I just bought two of them...

Also noticed that Purolator now has a motorcycle line of filters, all chrome or all black. Cheap on amazon.com.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/en-us/products/pages/motorcyclefilters.aspx

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/en-us/document/Documents/MotorcycleAPP_082808.pdf

Ok, done... just ordered a 6-pack of black ones with free shipping, heh... one to two months to ship from factory... $10.54 a pair...

oemfilter004.jpg

btw, that's the weirdest dang filter element I think I've ever seen. I got serious doubts. I'd like to see some info on that one. Can't we all just get a paper filter? And I don't mean one of those roll of toilet paper filters...

Not that my opinion matters. But I have been using a K&N and Shell Rotella T 5W40 for my bike. I will only use Wix on my cars. You know them Wix are NASCAR approved:roll:

:D

wix AKA napa gold filters

good filters, i've cut a few open

btw, that's the weirdest dang filter element I think I've ever seen. I got serious doubts. I'd like to see some info on that one. Can't we all just get a paper filter? And I don't mean one of those roll of toilet paper filters...

i have serious doubts too..

it was a hard material.

i'm changing my oil/filter asap tomorrow to a k&n with amsoil

We use to have a dis play of filters when I worked at a parts store years ago. It is interesting to see the differences.

If I remember correctly the Fram's and Delco filters looked the worst. Wix looked the best. But that's just looks Filters can become a really heated subject. I say do what you want!

FWIW

We use to have a dis play of filters when I worked at a parts store years ago. It is interesting to see the differences.

If I remember correctly the Fram's and Delco filters looked the worst. Wix looked the best. But that's just looks Filters can become a really heated subject. I say do what you want!

FWIW

i highly agree about the frams

they are partial cardboard and lack a bit of filtration compared to others

i could debate oil/filters all day haha

i highly agree about the frams

they are partial cardboard and lack a bit of filtration compared to others

i could debate oil/filters all day haha

Good!

My filter is better than yours and my oil will kick your oils ass!! Even if I use the same oil and filter. Mines just the best and that's it!

<in a loud, arrogant voice> :)

i have serious doubts too..

it was a hard material.

i'm changing my oil/filter asap tomorrow to a k&n with amsoil

You know what? Don't blame Yamaha too much, they might not have even known what was inside. The manufacturers contract out for stuff like filters, and get them made with their name on it. I'm sure they try to inspect and control the stuff, but not catch everything. If it was from China or something, who the hell knows what might be inside...

I've been searching for info on that type filter, I've sort of seen something like it before. I'm not finding any info now. I think a pic should be sent to Yamaha, and ask them wtf.

if im not mistaken the best filter was the oem suzuki filter..there was a test on gixxer.com, and the oem suzuki filtered more particulates btter flow..i also run rotella t full synthetic 5-40 in my 750..best part is wally world sells it for 16 a gallon..highly highly reccomended by many racers

if im not mistaken the best filter was the oem suzuki filter..there was a test on gixxer.com, and the oem suzuki filtered more particulates btter flow..i also run rotella t full synthetic 5-40 in my 750..best part is wally world sells it for 16 a gallon..highly highly reccomended by many racers

Just be aware that is an automotive diesel/gasoline engine oil, and that might cause clutch slippage in some bikes. It does not have the newer motorcycle oil ratings, and does have the newer automotive ratings that indicate the use of low friction modifiers.

Humour; one sport bike forum has a guy that says he uses it with a 1/4qt of STP. I'd guess that his clutch was slipping from the oil, and not slipping from the STP. The STP makes those clutch plates stick REAL good.

DO NOT USE STP IN A WET CLUTCH MOTORCYCLE

if im not mistaken the best filter was the oem suzuki filter..there was a test on gixxer.com, and the oem suzuki filtered more particulates better flow..i also run rotella t full synthetic 5-40 in my 750..best part is wally world sells it for 16 a gallon..highly highly recommended by many racers

I just spent $5.77 a quart at Walmart. Little blue bottle to go with the little blue pill!;)

Pq2sW5hS.jpg

You know what? Don't blame Yamaha too much, they might not have even known what was inside. The manufacturers contract out for stuff like filters, and get them made with their name on it. I'm sure they try to inspect and control the stuff, but not catch everything. If it was from China or something, who the hell knows what might be inside...

I've been searching for info on that type filter, I've sort of seen something like it before. I'm not finding any info now. I think a pic should be sent to Yamaha, and ask them wtf.

i work for honda, and i believe we contract with two companies. one shitty, one fairly good.