cut open oil filter

brennan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who has a cut open of a fram oil filter, I use them on my car, but suspect they are restricting oil flow.

Here is another write up if you are truly interested in the filters. All based off of automotive filters though.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html#recommended

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

I wouldn't be too harsh on the Yami filter as it appears to be a high density fabric based filter. Think something like a foam filter vs. paper. Foam will do better at filtration if done correctly... We've done tests with foam filters vs. paper and even cloth like K&N and the foam ones do better. We even had a sponsor that had a test machine that could test flow rates and other weird stuff I have no idea what they mean, but they'd do filters for our race bikes and some were WAY better than what we tested and some sucked or were worse.

The paper filters are sometimes worse than you'd think. I know the more pleats, the better they are supposed to be. As noted in Yota's test link - the K&N was below average and done on the cheap with the nut being the major "key point" of the filter...

Personally, from what I know of manufacturers is that they have filters specific to what they want in the motor. Meaning, the OEM filter is part of the design process and is used most often. Companies like Emgo and Vesrah are companies that work with the OEMs and are typically the best aftermarket choices...

Don't rely on what you use for your car as a reason to buy for your bike. Bikes are under a LOT more strain and wear situations than our cars are.

All I know is that I have only used OEM and Vesrah through 14 years of racing and track day abuse. We've NEVER had one issue and the only thing I remember at the track was K&N was at one point banned with WERA as there were too many incidents with them. They've since changed and I think they are great simply as a convenience deal with safety wire and access on and off...

Be careful going cheap. Considering how really inexpensive oil and filters are, don't skimp... These are really like owning a high end supercar - you wouldn't put a NAPA filter on your Ferrari, would you?

Be careful going cheap. Considering how really inexpensive oil and filters are, don't skimp... These are really like owning a high end supercar - you wouldn't put a NAPA filter on your Ferrari, would you?

I probably would, if that's what I decided. I have to think of how many Harley friends will only use "Harley oil". There are extremes both ways. I would not automatically buy a "Ferrari filter".

But point taken, saving a buck and buying cheap will get you... cheap junk.

question ???

Does the small filter at the oil pickup ever get dirty ??

Yes, it does. But not if your oil is clean and fresh. If it ever does, it's trouble. It limits the volume of oil flow. Usually it's debris, bugs, gunk, gasket chunks, FOD stuff. Light weight stuff that can be pulled there and stuck. Heavy items like metal will go toward the drain plug.

But in general, no, it's usually ok, and you won't have to pull the engine to check it this week.

Yes, it does. But not if your oil is clean and fresh. If it ever does, it's trouble. It limits the volume of oil flow. Usually it's debris, bugs, gunk, gasket chunks, FOD stuff. Light weight stuff that can be pulled there and stuck. Heavy items like metal will go toward the drain plug.

But in general, no, it's usually ok, and you won't have to pull the engine to check it this week.

thanks ! I was wondering. I've taken my oil pan off and removed the pickup and sure nuff there was debris. quite a bit covering the screen. More than I expected there to be, that and my blew the fuck up clutch basket in a million pieces !! and by cleaning it , I bet it flows much better. I never had the oil light come on except long wheelies ??

I asked because I swapped out the pickup with a stuntex one to save my motor of oil starvation, and was hoping that there wasn't much more crap in there to build up over the screen because the new one doesn't even use a screen at all ??

thanks Cat

To the original question, that looks to me like a composite filter, it's a porous hard media that filters just as well, if not better than paper, it's also much more stable under high pressure and heat. I'm willing to bet there probably wasn't a spring in there, just that chunk. We've got high pressure air filters here at work that are made from sintered bronze. Imagine thousands of tiny brass strings about an inch long bound together. There's nothing wrong with it, it's actually better than paper elements, and probably more expensive too.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the Yami filter as it appears to be a high density fabric based filter. Think something like a foam filter vs. paper. Foam will do better at filtration if done correctly... We've done tests with foam filters vs. paper and even cloth like K&N and the foam ones do better. We even had a sponsor that had a test machine that could test flow rates and other weird stuff I have no idea what they mean, but they'd do filters for our race bikes and some were WAY better than what we tested and some sucked or were worse.

The paper filters are sometimes worse than you'd think. I know the more pleats, the better they are supposed to be. As noted in Yota's test link - the K&N was below average and done on the cheap with the nut being the major "key point" of the filter...

Personally, from what I know of manufacturers is that they have filters specific to what they want in the motor. Meaning, the OEM filter is part of the design process and is used most often. Companies like Emgo and Vesrah are companies that work with the OEMs and are typically the best aftermarket choices...

Don't rely on what you use for your car as a reason to buy for your bike. Bikes are under a LOT more strain and wear situations than our cars are.

All I know is that I have only used OEM and Vesrah through 14 years of racing and track day abuse. We've NEVER had one issue and the only thing I remember at the track was K&N was at one point banned with WERA as there were too many incidents with them. They've since changed and I think they are great simply as a convenience deal with safety wire and access on and off...

you made a very valid point. it makes me question buying a k&n filter today. i might try it, who knows. i think i'm sticking with amsoil oil now though.

To the original question, that looks to me like a composite filter, it's a porous hard media that filters just as well, if not better than paper, it's also much more stable under high pressure and heat. I'm willing to bet there probably wasn't a spring in there, just that chunk. We've got high pressure air filters here at work that are made from sintered bronze. Imagine thousands of tiny brass strings about an inch long bound together. There's nothing wrong with it, it's actually better than paper elements, and probably more expensive too.

k&n runs around the same as an oe for yamaha