cut open oil filter

brennan

also, I don't believe Ferrarris have oil filters. They are high strung race engines that normally require rebuilding every 15,000 miles. They use lots of high stress small parts that wear fast.

thats what i was thinkin? :dunno: but i doubt NAPA makes a ferrari filter anyway :p

Lizard which ones do you think are the best? versah and OEM?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of guys run Rotella. Personally, I only run it in the diesel I have. I run Motul 300V or the Maxima stuff in the bike. Repsol is pretty good, too.

Thing is with Rotella, I know a lot of guys use it, but I have never seen the internals of a bike that uses it. I know with ELF, Motul, Maxima and Repsol, the results speak for themselves. No blueing or issues relating to poor wear protection after MANY hours of service...

A lot of guys run Rotella. Personally, I only run it in the diesel I have. I run Motul 300V or the Maxima stuff in the bike. Repsol is pretty good, too.

Thing is with Rotella, I know a lot of guys use it, but I have never seen the internals of a bike that uses it. I know with ELF, Motul, Maxima and Repsol, the results speak for themselves. No blueing or issues relating to poor wear protection after MANY hours of service...

i was really hoping to try the repsol oil a while back,

so i went to the local honda shop.

i got the answer "uhh, we don't carry that oil"

DUMB.

it's honda oil!

ive heard good things on the rotella, but nvr seen a blackstone test on it. B you dont have to change the oil every 1k, if ur worried about it, send a sample of ur oil to blackstone at 1k and 3k/5k intervals and see what they say (depending on ur riding style, amount of trackdays, etc) I ran the repsol semi-syth. for 3k and by the time i got close to 3k my bike seemed to shift very differently, almost rough, but it could have just been me. Soon as I swapped in amsoil, it was night and day difference.

Edited by exSRAaron

i was really hoping to try the repsol oil a while back,

so i went to the local honda shop.

i got the answer "uhh, we don't carry that oil"

DUMB.

it's honda oil!

They sponsor the GP team. It isn't a Honda oil per say. Repsol is bought through Tucker Rocky and I am amazed the dealer doean't carry it as most shops do...

if its good enough to run in a 500,000 dozer its good for a 10,000 bike .excavation machine motors are working harder than any bike..plus i can change my oil and filter twice for the price of one.. :D

ive heard good things on the rotella, but nvr seen a blackstone test on it. B you dont have to change the oil every 1k, if ur worried about it, send a sample of ur oil to blackstone at 1k and 3k/5k intervals and see what they say (depending on ur riding style, amount of trackdays, etc) I ran the repsol semi-syth. for 3k and by the time i got close to 3k my bike seemed to shift very differently, almost rough, but it could have just been me. Soon as I swapped in amsoil, it was night and day difference.

i know i don't have to change it that early, i just like to keep my oil clean. i mean, when you see how people treat their cars every day, and the oil comes out sludgey or chocolatey when you change it, it just really annoys you i guess. i like to keep my oil fresh even if it still has time to break down.

They sponsor the GP team. It isn't a Honda oil per say. Repsol is bought through Tucker Rocky and I am amazed the dealer doean't carry it as most shops do...

i was amazed too. i did see that had some sort of repsol on the shelf, but it didn't look to be for sports bikes. i know they make different types of oils. possibly i dealt with a new guy or something?

Iron Pony has Repsol. It's a great bike oil for a lower price. It's not the best, but far above average. It's made in Spain and Argentina. There's an advanced search on the webpage to identify which oil to use for which bike. Oddly, it recommends synthetic Moto Off Road 4T 10w40, Moto Racing 4T 10w30, SuperSport 4T 10w50, or Repsol Moto Sintético 4T 10W40 for my bike. 10w40 is what Honda says to use.

http://www.repsol.com/es_en/productos_y_servicios/productos/lubricantes/informacion_de_productos/marca_repsol/automocion/aceites_motocicletas/default.aspx

edit: if it says JASO T-903:2006 MA or JASO T-903:2006 MA2 then it's made for motorcycles.

Edited by ReconRat
info

you can't really go by looks.

I was using a NAPA filter (just like the one in the picture)in my truck that has a side mounted filter. and I think it was letting the oil drain back out over night. within 6 days of using it, my motor spun 2 rod bearings.

I've always changed the oil on a reg basis too. and used synthetic oil. oil pressure was always good.

it had to be the filter that did it in.

I exclusively use purolator pure one filters on my bike. and from now on in my trucks.

here is one I cut open

3316237018_51df1d46d3_b.jpg

Iron Pony has Repsol. It's a great bike oil for a lower price. It's not the best, but far above average. It's made in Spain and Argentina. There's an advanced search on the webpage to identify which oil to use for which bike. Oddly, it recommends synthetic Moto Off Road 4T 10w40, Moto Racing 4T 10w30, SuperSport 4T 10w50, or Repsol Moto Sintético 4T 10W40 for my bike. 10w40 is what Honda says to use.

http://www.repsol.com/es_en/productos_y_servicios/productos/lubricantes/informacion_de_productos/marca_repsol/automocion/aceites_motocicletas/default.aspx

edit: if it says JASO T-903:2006 MA or JASO T-903:2006 MA2 then it's made for motorcycles.

I've been using Repsol sintetico 10w40 since my bike was new.

it currently has 35k miles on it.

track and street.

It also didn't need a valve adjustment when I checked it last winter. with 33k miles on it. that just tells me it's working very well if the valvtrain isn't wearing all that much.

Edited by serpentracer

I wouldn't be too harsh on the Yami filter as it appears to be a high density fabric based filter. Think something like a foam filter vs. paper. Foam will do better at filtration if done correctly... We've done tests with foam filters vs. paper and even cloth like K&N and the foam ones do better. We even had a sponsor that had a test machine that could test flow rates and other weird stuff I have no idea what they mean, but they'd do filters for our race bikes and some were WAY better than what we tested and some sucked or were worse.

I seen a test done on foam air filters VS k&n and BMC.

the test results were published. the test was SAE J726.

it proved that a oiled foam filter trapped more dirt and flowed as much air as a wetted gauze filter such as K&N and BMC. and actually will flow much more air when it's dirty than a dirty wetted gauze filter can.

also have a look around in the car world. K&N's air filter oil has been shown to cause problems with Mass Air Flow sensors if over oiled.

Edited by serpentracer

you can't really go by looks.

I was using a NAPA filter (just like the one in the picture)in my truck that has a side mounted filter. and I think it was letting the oil drain back out over night. within 6 days of using it, my motor spun 2 rod bearings.

I've always changed the oil on a reg basis too. and used synthetic oil. oil pressure was always good.

it had to be the filter that did it in.

I exclusively use purolator pure one filters on my bike. and from now on in my trucks.

here is one I cut open

can i ask which napa filter you ran?

Ok, we've determined that the foam filters are better, but is the Yamaha filter considered a foam filter?

At this point, I'm confused as to which filter I should get for my oil change coming up.

agreed. the yamaha filter didn't feel like foam, it was a hard substance. i purchased a k&n filter, but i can always return it if need be.

I've only used OEM filter and OEM synthetic oil, and will continue. It's what the engineers recommend and it doesn't add HP messing with different crap, so I'm strictly OEM filter and KawaChem synthetic oil here. With all my new bikes I didn't go synthetic though until 2,000+ miles.

Ok, we've determined that the foam filters are better, but is the Yamaha filter considered a foam filter?

At this point, I'm confused as to which filter I should get for my oil change coming up.

I was talking about AIR filters.

I buy purolator pure one filters. because a R6 can use a mazda miata oil filter.

they are 99.9% efficient.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/en-us/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Edited by serpentracer