LFA Breaking news!!

Forrest Gump 9

:confused:

Me thinks speed was involved :whistle:

Upside....at least he died doing what I have to believe he loved. Prayers to the other guys though. Testament to both cars though....notice in the video that while every airbag in the place was set off, the passenger compartments looked remarkably good. Now they were serious casualties of course, but still, very impressive. If either of those was a Chevy Cavlier, there wouldn't be anything left.

Honestly, that's a job I would love to have. Right up there with live condom testing.

and reports say he veered into oncoming traffic and collided head-on with two others test drivers in a BMW. The two BMW test drivers survived the crash, though one is reportedly still in critical condition.

Massive MI, he was dead before he hit the BMW. I hope I go with a massive MI.

Sad news. Hopefully the other driver pulls through.

One of my biggest fears at my (old) job was being involved in an accident on public roads while traveling away from home. I've been on "ride-and-drives" where inexperienced people will grossly over drive the cars and put themselves and others in danger. During winter test season there are frequently test drivers killed in Sweden. This was obviously not what happened here, but I would disagree with the statement that "at least he died doing what he loved."

Guest tbutera2112
hm...those cars dont appear to be very safe...the damage really doesnt look that bad (cab wise), yet there was one death in the lexus, and one guy in the bimmer is in critical...hope they pull through, but if i was in the market for a bimmer and saw this, i think i would switch companies and look for something else!

The guy died doing what he love to do. He had done this thousands of time before. He probably had some medical condition that lead to the accident (could be heart attack). And I hate to say this, but the LFA will become an instant classic because of this news.

I don't know anything, but him being 67 and the witnesses said he "Veered into on coming traffic" on a public road when he was just driving the car not "testing" it. To me, it sounds like he had a Massive Heart Attack behind the wheel. I don't really see a test driver for 40+ years just losing control of the car on public roads. I think he was dead before he hit the BMW. That makes way more sense to me.

Guest tbutera2112
I don't know anything, but him being 67 and the witnesses said he "Veered into on coming traffic" on a public road when he was just driving the car not "testing" it. To me, it sounds like he had a Massive Heart Attack behind the wheel. I don't really see a test driver for 40+ years just losing control of the car on public roads. I think he was dead before he hit the BMW. That makes way more sense to me.

i agree...still doesnt account for the lack of design in the bmw...the damage in the pics doesnt look anywhere to close something that should put somebody in critical condition juding by the cabin of the car

hm...those cars dont appear to be very safe...the damage really doesnt look that bad (cab wise), yet there was one death in the lexus, and one guy in the bimmer is in critical...hope they pull through, but if i was in the market for a bimmer and saw this, i think i would switch companies and look for something else!

First off, while the passenger compartments held up well, the damage is extensive. The problem with driving in a test vehicle is:

#1) most of the time the airbags are disabled. Obviously the BMW's bags were on and deployed, but the pics of the LFA make it difficult to tell. It appears that they draped a white sheet over the interior of the car (the airbags are not that big).

#2) if you are testing and riding as a passenger you could be holding a laptop, or even worse, there could be a hard-mounted laptop on a metal stand in front of you.

My guess is the LFA driver could have crossed the center line due to a medical condition, but death could have occurred from the accident. He was "spied" on the Nurburgring shortly before this, and for all you know he could have been wearing a harness with his helmet and HANS removed after he exited the track. Or the airbag could have been disabled and hit hit the wheel. Or maybe he cut the corner because he didn't see anyone. Or maybe it got loose coming out of the curve and he was trying to save it. Who knows.

The BMW driver is most likely the one that's fine, while the passenger probably sustained serious injury from either the airbag forcing something into him (laptop), or he hit a hard-mounted stand.

The speculation (even mine) is worthless though. This is no reason to pass on buying a BMW.