Male pitbull on my porch

Sully

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LJ, that's my girlfriend's shop. If you have any concerns or questions, hit me up and I'll talk to her.

It's just a personal preference thing. It's going to be hard to convince a veterinarian to board their dog somewhere where vaccines aren't required.

I know this sounds like personal vendetta but I would say if she wants to keep the dog and make it work have her call me and if not me I would be happy to make some other recommendations.

I am very late to this discussion but I have to comment either way because I love pits and have owned one in the past and loved the dog dearly. I am currenty voluntering for a shelter just down the street from my house for community service hours and they are pit friendly and even rescue dogs that were involved in fighting rings and do investigations trying to stop the dog fighting ring that has developed in the greater columbus area. I will speak to them asap tomorrow and see what they can do. They already have 3 pits up for adoption as we speak. I will let you know what I can do asap if this beautifual dog still is looking for a home. I would take him myself but I am living with my parents currently and my dad breeds english setters and we already have 12 and no more kennel space avaible. The shelter will make sure that this dog is properly matched with a good owner so there would be no worries about whether or not he would find a loving home.

I am very late to this discussion but I have to comment either way because I love pits and have owned one in the past and loved the dog dearly. I am currenty voluntering for a shelter just down the street from my house for community service hours and they are pit friendly and even rescue dogs that were involved in fighting rings and do investigations trying to stop the dog fighting ring that has developed in the greater columbus area. I will speak to them asap tomorrow and see what they can do. They already have 3 pits up for adoption as we speak. I will let you know what I can do asap if this beautifual dog still is looking for a home. I would take him myself but I am living with my parents currently and my dad breeds english setters and we already have 12 and no more kennel space avaible. The shelter will make sure that this dog is properly matched with a good owner so there would be no worries about whether or not he would find a loving home.

What is the adoption rate on Pits? Most people steer away from them and years and years in a cage doesn't do a dog any good either.

Definitely some truth here. Be assertive. That doesn't mean overbearing and yelling and all that jazz but be calm, be serious, and don't lean over or encroach on the dog. Don't give the dog affection just for the sake of giving it affection, but if you call it over and it comes, show some affection. Calm affection. Soft but meaningful movements. If you crounch down to get him to come to you, keep your back straight. I can't emphasize enough not hovering over the dog. And that goes for any dog of any breed.

I would say if you are a dog person, keep him. I do training ha ha.

:) good notes

What is the adoption rate on Pits? Most people steer away from them and years and years in a cage doesn't do a dog any good either.

I do understand that some people who have been brainwashed by local and national media will stay away from this breed but at least you know that he is going to be given a chance and will get any necessary training that he may need as well. This is an important thing as opposed to never getting a chance and being put down because of ignorance and fear. They are trying to work things out and will be letting me know as soon as they can on what they can do for him. There have been multiple adoptions out of this shelter in the past year that were pits so there is a very good chance that if they can take him he will end up finding a good home and at the end of the day that is all we can ask for. They have outdoor runs not crates to house the dogs. Plus a fenced in yard that I would estimate is around 3 acres where he could play and interact with other dogs. This place is out by Johnstown off of 310 in the country, not in the city on a small plot of land. I agree that a shelter should be the last option for the dog but if he can't find a home with responsible owners off this site this would be the best place for him due to location and land at his disposil.

I do understand that some people who have been brainwashed by local and national media will stay away from this breed but at least you know that he is going to be given a chance and will get any necessary training that he may need as well. This is an important thing as opposed to never getting a chance and being put down because of ignorance and fear. They are trying to work things out and will be letting me know as soon as they can on what they can do for him. There have been multiple adoptions out of this shelter in the past year that were pits so there is a very good chance that if they can take him he will end up finding a good home and at the end of the day that is all we can ask for. They have outdoor runs not crates to house the dogs. Plus a fenced in yard that I would estimate is around 3 acres where he could play and interact with other dogs. This place is out by Johnstown off of 310 in the country, not in the city on a small plot of land. I agree that a shelter should be the last option for the dog but if he can't find a home with responsible owners off this site this would be the best place for him due to location and land at his disposil.

The dog will receive necessary training at the shelter? +1 for that shelter than because I have never seen a shelter that does obedience training. In fact, I know of pit bull rescues locally that have turned down offers of free training to help get dogs adopted. They just wanted people to foster them, not train them. So if this place does obedience training for all it's dogs before adopting them out, sound slike a pretty good place that indeed would have a high pit adoption rate.

As for media brainwashing people thus making them not want pits, that's only part of the problem. The other problem is all the regulations an Ohioan has to follow in order to legally own a pit. It's got nothing to do with how they view the dog, but more how the governemnt views them. Someone may understand pits are as good or as bad as any other dog but they don't have the money to buy $100K in liability insurance the state dictates you need to own a pit, so they opt for the black lab instead.

And as for having 3 acres of fenced in are instead of a small spot in the city, I am not understanding what that has to do with the dogs welfare.

The dog will receive necessary training at the shelter? +1 for that shelter than because I have never seen a shelter that does obedience training. In fact, I know of pit bull rescues locally that have turned down offers of free training to help get dogs adopted. They just wanted people to foster them, not train them. So if this place does obedience training for all it's dogs before adopting them out, sound slike a pretty good place that indeed would have a high pit adoption rate.

As for media brainwashing people thus making them not want pits, that's only part of the problem. The other problem is all the regulations an Ohioan has to follow in order to legally own a pit. It's got nothing to do with how they view the dog, but more how the governemnt views them. Someone may understand pits are as good or as bad as any other dog but they don't have the money to buy $100K in liability insurance the state dictates you need to own a pit, so they opt for the black lab instead.

And as for having 3 acres of fenced in are instead of a small spot in the city, I am not understanding what that has to do with the dogs welfare.

There are a lot of shelters and adoption programs that send dogs to the prison program or accept dogs from the prison program. All of my parent's dogs came from shelters that sent them through prison, my sister's dog's as well, my grandpa's dog came from the Delaware county humane society and he was a prison dog that delaware county sponsored.

• 1 month later...