Male pitbull on my porch

Sully

I hope you understand that this can turn into aggressive behavior from any dog. He is not staying with the baby because YOU told him to, he is doing it on his own accord because in the dogs eyes it is a new introduction to the family unit that is lower on the totem pole than him. He isn't "protecting" the baby out of love, it is status, the baby is HIS responsibility in his eyes. The fact that the dog barks at you when your rocking the baby proves this. Accepting this behavior is playing with fire. You may get burned...hopefully you will not though.

I was thinking the same thing. Our female boxer has become extra protective of the kids now that Ares has passed too and we are working on it. I don't need her growling at the neighbors or another dog or heaven forbid, another child. IMO, it's likely that she now sees herself as no longer being submissive to him and that it's her role now to be the main protector.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you understand that this can turn into aggressive behavior from any dog. He is not staying with the baby because YOU told him to, he is doing it on his own accord because in the dogs eyes it is a new introduction to the family unit that is lower on the totem pole than him. He isn't "protecting" the baby out of love, it is status, the baby is HIS responsibility in his eyes. The fact that the dog barks at you when your rocking the baby proves this. Accepting this behavior is playing with fire. You may get burned...hopefully you will not though.

+1. I would put a stop to that right away.

I was thinking the same thing. Our female boxer has become extra protective of the kids now that Ares has passed too and we are working on it. I don't need her growling at the neighbors or another dog or heaven forbid, another child. IMO, it's likely that she now sees herself as no longer being submissive to him and that it's her role now to be the main protector.

Right on. A dog should NEVER show aggressiveness towards another person, or even another dog unless commanded to do so by the owner/handler. Whenever a dog makes it's own decision to exhibit aggressive behaviors, you open yourself up to a lot of liability.

This is what I tell people abut my dogs. They are NOT protection or attack trained. Therefore, if someone breaks in my house while I am gone and my dogs do NOT bite them, I am totally fine with that because I would rather have a dog that does not exhibit aggression than one that exhibits aggression in an uncontrolled manner without direction from a higher authority.

Right on. A dog should NEVER show aggressiveness towards another person, or even another dog unless commanded to do so by the owner/handler. Whenever a dog makes it's own decision to exhibit aggressive behaviors, you open yourself up to a lot of liability.

This is what I tell people abut my dogs. They are NOT protection or attack trained. Therefore, if someone breaks in my house while I am gone and my dogs do NOT bite them, I am totally fine with that because I would rather have a dog that does not exhibit aggression than one that exhibits aggression in an uncontrolled manner without direction from a higher authority.

+1

Damn, glad you went though.

Yeah, I feel better knowing that I tried, instead of just giving him to someone else first.

However, now it just makes it that much more difficult to give him up. I really really wish I didn't have to. But with my work schedule, it wouldn't be fair to him. He is such a loving and caring dog that he needs a family that can give him all the attention he can handle.

Now that Sam did not take him, I have posted with my pit rescue. Though they are full right now, they are still willing to help. Let's see what they want to do. I will call as soon as I hear something.

Is the dog fixed or not? (my rescue will fix and chip)

Is he neutred? How do his toennails trimmed?

The pics of him, do look a bit skinny, so he probably was a drop off, But he has his ears, which seems odd for a "full" apbt.

Im still concerned this is someones dog who got out. He

Also have you posted him on PetFBI.com?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep about the owners looking for him. He should have been chipped and had had his tags on him and supervised. Dog can't run away if it is being adequately supervised and won't run away if properly trained.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep about the owners looking for him. He should have been chipped and had had his tags on him and supervised. Dog can't run away if it is being adequately supervised and won't run away if properly trained.

not true man, my dog gets loose all the time. we have tried body harnesses, choke collars, normal collars... I don't know how he does it, but he always gets out of them. And when he gets lose, obviously, he doesn't have his collar and tags on because he slips out of them.

We need to hurry up and get the new house built so we can get a fence up to remedy this situation although I have a feeling it will still be an issue because he will find a way either over or under the fence.

not true man, my dog gets loose all the time. we have tried body harnesses, choke collars, normal collars... I don't know how he does it, but he always gets out of them. And when he gets lose, obviously, he doesn't have his collar and tags on because he slips out of them.

We need to hurry up and get the new house built so we can get a fence up to remedy this situation although I have a feeling it will still be an issue because he will find a way either over or under the fence.

When your dogs get out and run loose are you outside supervising them when they do this?

It's just that before I ever knew anything about obedience training I would let my dogs outside while I was inside and the one would jump the fence and roam the neighborhood.

Then I started obedience training/establishing myself as the rule maker and making it clear what was/is permitted and what is not.

I don't have that issue anymore. Through obedience training I have taught acceptable and unacceptable behaviors and because I am always there to supervise, everything is always under control. Whenever you leave a dog alone to make their own decisions, that is exactly what they will do.

As for all of the various tools you have used that do not seem to work, who taught you how to properly use those tools? I can't tell you how many people mis-use slip chains, pinch collars, e-collars, etc. because they have never been taught how to or tried to learn themselves how to properly use one.

Is he neutred? How do his toennails trimmed?

The pics of him, do look a bit skinny, so he probably was a drop off, But he has his ears, which seems odd for a "full" apbt.

Im still concerned this is someones dog who got out. He

Also have you posted him on PetFBI.com?

He is not neutered.

His toenails appear to have been trimmed not too long ago.

He has a tail.

He was kinda skinny, but couldn't exactly see his bones. I noticed this morning that he's already looking better in the mid-section.

I have posted him on CL, Petfbi.org, and called and emailed several rescue places around Columbus. All of them are full.

giving a dog a job to do usually remedies the situation as well.

bosco not doing any drills or training or anything= worst dog i have ever met

bosco doing training and drills= the most well behaved dog you could ever imagine.

it's like when people buy border collies, stick them in an apartment and then wonder why they destroy the place. it's because they are smart freaking dogs who are left to have their minds wander rather than have a proper job for them that they can use up their brain power.

giving a dog a job to do usually remedies the situation as well.

bosco not doing any drills or training or anything= worst dog i have ever met

bosco doing training and drills= the most well behaved dog you could ever imagine.

it's like when people buy border collies, stick them in an apartment and then wonder why they destroy the place. it's because they are smart freaking dogs who are left to have their minds wander rather than have a proper job for them that they can use up their brain power.

Right on. That is the whole premise behind obedience training. Constructive focus for their energy. I have clients with dogs who have such high energy levels that an hour and a half walk does nothing to their energy but I would 15 minutes of obedience where the dog has to focus and pay attention to the commands and learn how to do new commands and at the end of the session the dog is ready to chill out. People wonder why their dogs get loose and rip around the neighborhood or dig holes in their yard. They are like kids, if you don’t give them a constructive outlet for their energy and skills, they are going to find one themselves and it is probably through undesirable means.

This particular dog doesn't act like a dog that would run away. He has been at my house since 11:30pm Monday night without a collar or anything. I haven't tied him up or put him in the house at all. He has been 100% outside this entire time, day and night, and chooses not to leave.

This particular dog doesn't act like a dog that would run away. He has been at my house since 11:30pm Monday night without a collar or anything. I haven't tied him up or put him in the house at all. He has been 100% outside this entire time, day and night, and chooses not to leave.

He was probably beat, either by a person or another dog.

I am not saying he will. What I am saying is that if the owners didn't care enough to properly supervise him or take the apprpriate measures to ensure if something did happen he could easily be returned, they have lost their right to own that dog.

He was probably beat, either by a person or another dog.

I seriously doubt it. He has not acted vicious towards anyone he's met or any of the animals at the vet this morning. I would think that a dog who has been mistreated by humans or other animals, would be really afraid of them.

I could be wrong though.

But just from his behavior and everything, I would guess the owners could no longer afford him and couldn't get anyone to take him, so they went for a drive out to the country.

I am not saying he will. What I am saying is that if the owners didn't care enough to properly supervise him or take the apprpriate measures to ensure if something did happen he could easily be returned, they have lost their right to own that dog.

I agree.

I seriously doubt it. He has not acted vicious towards anyone he's met or any of the animals at the vet this morning. I would think that a dog who has been mistreated by humans or other animals, would be really afraid of them.

I could be wrong though.

But just from his behavior and everything, I would guess the owners could no longer afford him and couldn't get anyone to take him, so they went for a drive out to the country.

I've fostered abused dogs before. Some will be mean towards everything, others will just be shy, but clingy. A Cattle dog/ pit mix that i used to have was never mean to anyone, but if she was scared of something, she would just stay in one place and not go anywhere.