Grass Problems...(Sorry, Long Read - Lots of Pics)

FormulaMatt

Is this crab grass?

I got this house 2.5 years ago. It was SEVERELY neglected on the outside. The first year in, I made HUGE improvements in the landscaping and in the yard. Then last year, I put some Scotts fertilizer down and come to find out, it was a bad bag and had been recalled by Scotts. It was too late, the damage was done. It killed half of my yard.

Fast forward to this year. I over seeded in the spring and got alot of the dead areas to come back. Then later in the spring, I used the Scotts patch master to fill in some of the last remaining holes. It all looked great for about the month of June. Then in early July I started having these, what I thought were crab grass, areas start showing up. I got some of the Scotts fertilizer with crab grass preventer and weed killer. Now, 2 weeks later it seems to have fertilized the crab grass. It seems to be taking over my yard, and to top it off, it seems to be choking out the "good" grass.

Am I incorrect about this being crab grass? Whatever it is, how can I kill it without killing my whole yard or having to pull it all up and do sod? Should I call Scotts and let them come treat it? Or do any of our resident landscapers wish to tackle this?

The pics are in chronological order from taking possession of the house to my current problems.

Thanks for any suggestions. :cool:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/DSCN1472.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/DSCN1572.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/IMG00102.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/IMG00104.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/IMG00103.jpg

Edited by FormulaMatt

Matt

I can stop by with my Ortho book that is like 4" thick and shows all the grasses and weeds and proper products for them. I forget the exact name of this, but there's a liquid application that can be done to kill it. I'm out today, but if you wish, just ping my cell or text me and I'll stop by. I eradicated a lot of that stuff a few years back myself.

Heck, I bet someone on CR will cultivate it, dry it and smoke it. You could end up profiting from it :)

Edited by TTQ B4U

Plants are an area of weakness for me. But I do have a curiousity question. Do you ever hold Scott's accountable for the damage done to your lawn from a recalled product? Of course, it being 2yrs ago, it may be a little late to act now.

Matt

I can stop by with my Ortho book that is like 4" thick and shows all the grasses and weeds and proper products for them. I forget the exact name of this, but there's a liquid application that can be done to kill it. I'm out today, but if you wish, just ping my cell or text me and I'll stop by. I eradicated a lot of that stuff a few years back myself.

Heck, I bet someone on CR will cultivate it, dry it and smoke it. You could end up profiting from it :)

Absolutely awesome. I will give you a call when I get home.

Plants are an area of weakness for me. But I do have a curiousity question. Do you ever hold Scott's accountable for the damage done to your lawn from a recalled product? Of course, it being 2yrs ago, it may be a little late to act now.

Scott's more or less said it was Lowe's issue since they did not prevent the bags from going out. Lowe's gave me a refund (of course) and a small gift card. Scott's did however come out and did the over seeding and aerating (last fall) for free. I think it was nice of them to do this much, since I agree it was ultimately Lowe's fault I got the bag.

I could probably have pursued it further legally, but the costs to do so did not justify it - and really, its pretty minor. I don't think it's worth suing over.

I also enjoy this kinda thing and wanted to try to fix it myself. But, I'm a little stumped now.

Edited by FormulaMatt

I had a similar situation from when I bought my home in 2007. After tearing out all the overgrown bushes/trees my grass was wrecked. I tried fixing it, aerating/seeding it, in 2008 but wasn't having the effect I wanted. So in 2009 I killed it all, let it sit for 1 month to make sure nothing was growing, and did it all over. Came back beautiful in 6-8weeks and its nice and thick and green now, hardly any weeds.

I'll grab the name of the seed/feed stuff i used when i get home, but honestly i think its a little late in the season to use that kind of stuff. I had bad luck with the spray stuff, it left yellow patches all over my yard, lol, looked like spots.

Funny coincidence with this thread...

I have a ton of crabgrass on my lawn in UA, and I was talking to my brother-in-law last night over dinner about how nice his lawn looks. He uses Tru-Green (ChemLawn)...they aerate the soil, do 7 spray applications, over-seed, AND guarantee against weeds and crabgrass. All he does is mow, trim and weed flower beds. I looked into it this year but passed...even though the costs are comparable to me doing fertilizer myself.

I'm outsourcing my lawn care next year. Fertilizer is a waste of money if you don't apply it correctly and in the right amounts. Plus, we all have old bags of fertilizer lying around...what a waste. I'm happy to mow, but would rather have some sort of guarantee by a company that everything will be taken care of.

It is just so damn frustrating because I had it looking soooo good.

It went from the unkept in the first pic, destroyed in the second pic, fixed and plush in the 3rd and 4th pic, now to slowly hideous in the fifth pic. Ridiculous. :mad:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/DSCN1472.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/DSCN1483.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/DSCN1558.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/DSCN1572.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/Matt86K5/Starleaf%20LN/IMG00103.jpg

I'm outsourcing my lawn care next year. Fertilizer is a waste of money if you don't apply it correctly and in the right amounts. Plus, we all have old bags of fertilizer lying around...what a waste. I'm happy to mow, but would rather have some sort of guarantee by a company that everything will be taken care of.

I've used Scotts for years, up until this year when they jacked up prices again. 5yrs ago I started with them and each treatment was around $33 per. Now they are up to about $62+ per treatment. Now I'm behind and of course the yard has lacked the same level of investment $$ but that's my fault. Next year for sure I'll be all over it.

Funny coincidence with this thread...

I have a ton of crabgrass on my lawn in UA, and I was talking to my brother-in-law last night over dinner about how nice his lawn looks. He uses Tru-Green...they aerate the soil, do 7 spray applications, over-seed, AND guarantee against weeds and crabgrass. All he does is mow, trim and weed.

Be very careful with Tru-Green. I had issues with them actually coming out and applying when they said they did at my old house.

I kept noticing problems with weed sections popping up in my yard. I kept having them come out and I would get home to see the little "Keep Off Lawn" sign, but no results would happen other than when I would spray them myself.

I have a camera security system on my house (that house did too). Two out of four times they came out for their "free guarantee" service, all the guy did was put the sign in my yard hang their info on the door and leave. I showed their manager when he came out, he was shocked. I think he thought I was bluffing.

I'm sure it is rare that this happens, but the fact it happened twice to me is enough where I will NOT use them again.

Edited by FormulaMatt

The offer I had in the spring was $29 an application, minimum 7 apps a year. I think that's partly because my next-door neighbor and others on my street use them...

My bro has a HUGE lot and only pays $49 an app:confused:. It's only a year contract so I figure I can whine about a price increase to keep it low, or just jump to another company for a year...

the only real way to stop crab grass is to either spray it with a "non-selective herbicide" which will kill anything it touches. so be careful. or to put down a pre-emergence herbicide. it is to late for that one now though. it has to be put down before the crab grass germinates. which is late winter, early spring. have actually seen people put it down while snow is still on the ground. round up is the best non-selective herbicide i have ever used. if you have just massive patches of the stuff you can rent a sod cutter. cut out the crab grass, put in top soil, replant kentucky bluegrass seed. course i wouldn't be surprised if your top soil has crab grass seed also.

now thats out of the way. yes its crab grass. the "preventive" is going to do jack shit now. its what i said above, a pre-emergence. it has to be put down before the crab grass germinates. once its started only way i have seen to get rid of it is manually, or with the non-selective herbicide. also crab grass is a lot more hearty then your good grass. which in this area is usually a kentucky blue/fescue mix. oh if you use the sod cutter idea. it wouldnt be a bad idea after you have put top soil down to spray well with a non-selective herbicide. then wait how ever long it says to plant.

Matt,

The photos you have are of Crabgrass. Likely mixed with Dallisgrass though.

Key to killing it now is to use something like Ortho Crabgrass Killer. Works very well. They also sell a combo CG Killer/weed killer or CB / Nut Grass killer.

I've used both with great success. Hit it every 5 days for 2-3 treatments and it will be gone. Use a good pre-emergence next spring. Just make sure you do so after you do any spring clean ups such as thatching.

I still have the Ortho Problem Solver book if you want to borrow it.

Crabgrass is really bad this year and I have been in the lawn/landscaping business for many years. Kill it off and reseed and like the others say catch it early spring before it germinates. Crabgrass and weeds thrive in bare and weak areas of your yard.

Matt,

The photos you have are of Crabgrass. Likely mixed with Dallisgrass though.

Key to killing it now is to use something like Ortho Crabgrass Killer. Works very well. They also sell a combo CG Killer/weed killer or CB / Nut Grass killer.

I've used both with great success. Hit it every 5 days for 2-3 treatments and it will be gone. Use a good pre-emergence next spring. Just make sure you do so after you do any spring clean ups such as thatching.

I still have the Ortho Problem Solver book if you want to borrow it.

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to call you yet Tim. The wife got sick and I have been of full baby duty. Leaves little time between taking care of him and the 2 boxers. I know you know how this is lol. Think we could meet up some time tonight or this weekend?

I have similar issues going on with my lawn right now and I'd rather it all die and turn brown then have TruGreen come back on my property. I will NEVER give them another $1 of my money.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35251

Yea, they're a class act. The spring after my father passed away they called my mother, she told them no, they proceeded to tell them they had spoken my father had told them to go ahead with the service this year. They will never service my property, period.