What to look for in a diesel vehicle?

Forrest Gump 9

Like the title said, what do I need to look for when buying a diesel power vehicle? After three years searching I've finally found a Land Cruiser I want. It's old but in very great shape. The only problem is it's powered by a diesel engine, and I know nothing about diesel engine. Thank in advance.

The advice will be different depending upon the year and the size of diesel.

For example, the 4.2 diesel in some of the JDM Land Cruisers will require 9L of motor oil at every 3,000 mile oil change. I have heard that they develop rod end issues if you don't use the Japanese spec oil.

The 4 banger diesels in the Land Cruiser Prado are reputed to be slow. Some years used a 2.8 L turbo diesel which was a little better.

Most of what I hear is that unlike diesel versions of most trucks, the Land Cruiser diesels are generally more expensive to maintain and get terrible mileage compared to their gasoline versions.

Have you checked any of the Land Cruiser or off-road forums? I'm sure they know a lot more about these beasts than anyone here.

It's my understanding that the Japanese use their own system of standards for testing oil. Their engineers have developed the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) service class ratings, just as the U.S. has the American Petroleum Institute (API) ratings, Europe uses the ACEA standards, and there is even an International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC). Some OEM's even have their own standards such as VW50.0 from Volkswagen, MB22 from Mercedes, and 4718M (Mobil One only) for some Corvettes.

Japanese diesel engines use JASO M 355 (DL-1, DH-1, or DH-2). I've both heard and read that some engines can develop problems if you use oil that doesn't meet the manufacturer's minimum requirement. Specifically, the 4.2 Toyota diesel in the Land Cruiser is susceptible to rod problems if you use oil that doesn't meet the JASO standard.

As I said before, the off-roader and the Toyota forums have a lot more dependable advice than I can offer.