lettuce talk about lifts

kirks5oh

Buying a lift today for storage and oil changes, etc.

Do I really need the $2800 bendpak?

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/BendPak-HD-9ST-B-9000-lb-car-storage-lift-p/bendpakhd-9st-b.htm

With low profile ramps, drip trays, casters it will be closer to $4k. Its 9k lbs capacity, the max I'd have on it are my sports cars, maybe an suv for an oil change. Or I can get the $1800 autolift brand.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Auto-Lift-CAR-PARK-8-8000-lb-Storage-Service-Li-p/car-park-8.htm

Its 8k lbs capacity. Both have the same width, height, runway length. The drip trays and casters are cheaper--i'd probably spend $2500 total. Lift is going in my shop--plenty of room, and ceiling height. I'm not hard-up for cash, but do you guys think its worth it

Bought a used direct lift. There is a dealer in indy that sells these new, I have no concerns about the safety of this lift for home use. I spent 8+ years working under challengers and rotarys and sure for the professional who rasies and lowers the lift 40-50 times a day I would get a more expensive one but his one is super heavy and works flawlessly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/1972nova/DSC00945.jpg

go with the cheap one. your life isn't worth the extra $$$.

But seriously, we have a $1200 eBay lift in our barn and it works fine and i feel perfectly safe under it. there are so many safeties in place that it is almost impossible for the car to literally come crashing down. at most it might slowly come down on you and you will have plenty of time to run while flailing your arms.

Ordered the bendpak. Came in less than $3100 with the lift, casters, drip trays, ramp locks, and an adjustable height 8 gallon oil drain. No tax,free shipping, but I have to pick it up at a conway terminal since I don't have a forklift. I guess it just comes down to piece of mind.

all i can say is I've been in two different shops, one used Chinese lifts, they last 1.5 years and then parts are not available for repair, and the other used bend-paks that so far are 10 years old with no problems.

direct lift is a product of rotary...you can still get parts. If you are a professional i would pay high dollar but if not imho its a waste

I read somewhere that the angle of the posts (on a 2 post) is important so you can open the doors without banging... that is what I plan to do when I get mine someday. Not sure if the bendpak or other one you are looking at are 4 post or 2

damn you bought that shit fast I was trying to find out what I could do for you on something similar shipped to your door and installed maybe next time....

thanks, i appreciate it. my biggest issue is that i live in wisconsin, and there are limited installers/etc. here. i've been tossing around the idea of buying one for a while, finally just decided to pull the trigger.

I read somewhere that the angle of the posts (on a 2 post) is important so you can open the doors without banging... that is what I plan to do when I get mine someday. Not sure if the bendpak or other one you are looking at are 4 post or 2

i went with the entry level bendpak 4 post lift for service/storage. 9k lbs capacity. i was back and forth between the cheaper one and the bendpak, but at the end of the day you can't put a price on safety/quality of something when you're going to park a nice car under it, and work under it as well.

thanks, i appreciate it. my biggest issue is that i live in wisconsin, and there are limited installers/etc. here. i've been tossing around the idea of buying one for a while, finally just decided to pull the trigger.

its all good, you should be able to walk into a napa/carquest/orileys purchase a lift have it dropped shipped to your door and installed all in one package deal through the vendor (i.e. rotary etc.)

if you call the lift manufacturer they can recomend an installer and help you make an appointment to have it put in