Advice Needed: Crate-Training

Fiji ST

So my fiance and I adopted a little shiz tzu a couple of weeks ago from the Franklin Co. shelter. Couple years old, just a really good all-around dog. The problem is, he will not go into his crate voluntarily. It's always a struggle and I need some advice from those on here who know more than I do.

Here's info on the dog: He's a 15 lbs. dog. The cage is suppose to be built for his size. He was found as a stray, but does listen to some commands, so we think he was dumped. When he's in his crate, he lifts up his fleece mat and lays underneath it. Or he pushes it up against one side and lays against it. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in it.

My thinking is, of course, he really doesn't like being in a crate. The other is he doesn't like his mat. Which is fine, but I don't want him having to lay on the plastic tray underneath for 5 hours.

I don't know where to go from here. I've never crate-trained a dog before. I've had dogs for 14 years growing up, but we never had to worry about using a crate. Frankly, I don't trust the dog alone in my place for that long. May have an accident, chew on the furniture, etc. So, please give me some advice.

So my fiance and I adopted a little shiz tzu a couple of weeks ago from the Franklin Co. shelter. Couple years old, just a really good all-around dog. The problem is, he will not go into his crate voluntarily. It's always a struggle and I need some advice from those on here who know more than I do.

Here's info on the dog: He's a 15 lbs. dog. The cage is suppose to be built for his size. He was found as a stray, but does listen to some commands, so we think he was dumped. When he's in his crate, he lifts up his fleece mat and lays underneath it. Or he pushes it up against one side and lays against it. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in it.

My thinking is, of course, he really doesn't like being in a crate. The other is he doesn't like his mat. Which is fine, but I don't want him having to lay on the plastic tray underneath for 5 hours.

I don't know where to go from here. I've never crate-trained a dog before. I've had dogs for 14 years growing up, but we never had to worry about using a crate. Frankly, I don't trust the dog alone in my place for that long. May have an accident, chew on the furniture, etc. So, please give me some advice.

Don't force him to go inside. Very likely he had a very bad experience in one. Our dogs have always "wanted" to go in their crates. We use a blanket to cover it up and make it more of a "den". With our current pup, we actually put it in our Pantry as it is a smaller room and helped him feel safe and more cozy. Now he's in the bedroom and just fine with it being covered up. Just do so with something he won't pull inside and eat.

We use old blankets we have collected over the years as his bed. Occassionally he will pee on them, but that's typical until he gets fully house trained. All day for a pup is stretch to hold it.

My advice...put the crate in a small area that's darker and quiet. Leave the door open and use treats to help coax him inside. Do not remove him if he cries. No matter how much of a PIA it becomes. Otherwise, you'll condition him to cry.

Good luck. Post back if you need more. All of our pups love going into their dens. I'll post a pick of ours later. We cover it with a cheap black table cloth that we picked up at Odd Lots or somewhere. All black helps him feel covered and safe.

Ryan is the dog trainer guru here on CR. He's been over our place. Cool guy. I'm sure he'll chime in.

I will try to cover it up. I always figured that was not something you shouldn't do. I have it next to the couch kind of out in the open. I can put it into the dark corner I suppose. I guess I didn't want to leave him in a dark corner. I hate forcing him into it. I'll give it a shot though with the treats. Do you think it's too late?

What about his bed mat? Any reason why he wouldn't lay on it other than he doesn't like it?

I will try to cover it up. I always figured that was not something you shouldn't do. I have it next to the couch kind of out in the open. I can put it into the dark corner I suppose. I guess I didn't want to leave him in a dark corner. I hate forcing him into it. I'll give it a shot though with the treats. Do you think it's too late?

What about his bed mat? Any reason why he wouldn't lay on it other than he doesn't like it?

I don't think it's too late. He may never really "love" the kennel but I bet he'll go into it eventually. Bed matts.....never had good luck with them. ONce they soil them, they are a PIA to get clean. We've always used blankets. Dogs like to roll around and mess them up. I bet he doesn't like it because he can't mess it up and make it the way he wants it. Try a couple old bath towels to start.

I don't think it's too late. He may never really "love" the kennel but I bet he'll go into it eventually. Bed matts.....never had good luck with them. ONce they soil them, they are a PIA to get clean. We've always used blankets. Dogs like to roll around and mess them up. I bet he doesn't like it because he can't mess it up and make it the way he wants it. Try a couple old bath towels to start.

I think I have some old blankets lying around. I may have some old sheets that should work as well.

MY fiance asks that we have tried treats, but we can't get him close enough to the crate. He usually stays away and has begun to run away when we try to put him in his crate.

You know, I think you should just come over and train my dog for me Tim. :)

I used treats like Tim. I had a dog that loved steak. Its pricey but I only had a limited time with him so I had to bring out the big guns. I would put a little bit in there every now and then. After a couple of days he would go and sit in his crate in hopes that I would bring him steak. A few good boys, treats, and some time he finally started to go in there to sleep by himself.

I'm curious to see what Ryan does. I've noticed he does modified techniques that work better than normal stuff.

I think I have some old blankets lying around. I may have some old sheets that should work as well.

MY fiance asks that we have tried treats, but we can't get him close enough to the crate. He usually stays away and has begun to run away when we try to put him in his crate.

You know, I think you should just come over and train my dog for me Tim. :)

Sounds like he's had a really bad experience with kennels. You mentioned crate....plastic kind? I've only used the black wire kennels. Way more inviting and friendly than a box-like crate. Those I would NOT cover. My bad....I assumed you were talking wire style.

You can find one on Craig's List easy and cheap. Try that kind and I bet you'll have way, way better success.

I have a black wire one. It has a black plastic tray at the bottom for easy clean-up. I would never get him an all-plastic ones.

I put the crate in the corner of my living room. It's more confined because its got the couch on one side and the entertainment center on the other. no sunlight reaches it. I'll try it tomorrow.

Quick question: Should I be crating him at night too. We usually have him in it during the day, but I keep him out at night with me in the bedroom. He curls up next to my reading pillow and I have no problems at night.

You're just gonna have to put in the time to get him comfortable with it. Like was already said, he's had a bad experience I bet. Get in the floor with him in the evening or whenever you're at home and sit by the kennel playing with him. Toss a ball in there and get him used to going in and getting it. Like was also said, make it as comfortable and inviting as you can with it. Put his favorite toys in there and keep them in there unless he's playing with them and even then toss them around the room and make a point to toss them in the cage here and there. I would also put him in there at night to sleep and I'd put it in your bedroom so you're in the room with him. Eventually he's going to get over it. Just have to keep working with him. NEVER use the kennel as punishment either.

You're just gonna have to put in the time to get him comfortable with it. Like was already said, he's had a bad experience I bet. Get in the floor with him in the evening or whenever you're at home and sit by the kennel playing with him. Toss a ball in there and get him used to going in and getting it. Like was also said, make it as comfortable and inviting as you can with it. Put his favorite toys in there and keep them in there unless he's playing with them and even then toss them around the room and make a point to toss them in the cage here and there. I would also put him in there at night to sleep and I'd put it in your bedroom so you're in the room with him. Eventually he's going to get over it. Just have to keep working with him. NEVER use the kennel as punishment either.

Oh good, I can't wait for him to start whining while I'm sleeping. :lol:

When it's in my room, should I have it covered up too?

Oh good, I can't wait for him to start whining while I'm sleeping. :lol:

My Boxer pup did this...soooo annoying cause I couldn't take him out. My prob I think was the had the cage in my room, so he could see me in bed and he was caged. Back in the day apartment living.

My Boxer pup did this...soooo annoying cause I couldn't take him out. My prob I think was the had the cage in my room, so he could see me in bed and he was caged. Back in the day apartment living.

What'd you do?

I've always done it in the bedroom covered and yes the whining sucks but they get over it. When my pups are real young I'll put a radio next to the kennel. At a couple years old I wouldn't think the whining would be as bad.

I always used treats or his chew bones to get him in there. Our dog never sleeps with us and he is in his crate when we go to bed or leave the house. It just takes time. Now as long as I am home alone and say Crate he will go in it. If other people are around he hides behind them. I just have to push him closer to the crate then when he is almost there he goes inside on his own. We have had the dog since he was 7 weeks old.

What'd you do?

Well, the GF at the time had me take him out...until we fell asleep and he torn my room to shit and shitted in a couple places. From then on his ass just whined and eventually he stopped.

This lil bastard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/Tyson056-1.jpg

So the crate training has gone pretty good the past week. He seems to like it now that it's covered. He goes in most mornings with issue and he sleeps in it at night without me having to coerce him or shutting the gate. He even sits in there for naps when I'm home during the day.

Now I just have to train him not to use his teeth when he's playing and to walk better on a leash. :)

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

So the crate training has gone pretty good the past week. He seems to like it now that it's covered. He goes in most mornings with issue and he sleeps in it at night without me having to coerce him or shutting the gate. He even sits in there for naps when I'm home during the day.

Now I just have to train him not to use his teeth when he's playing and to walk better on a leash. :)

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

:thumbup: glad it worked out. him sitting in it during the day while you're home...very good sign and typical of a dog in their den. Our girl goes into hers to get away from kids, puppy, etc.....

enjoy!