Mid-Ohio PDX (SCCA)

downingracing

I was holding out hope I'd be able to make it...but after wearing a brand new set of Hawk race pads down to the backing plate and cracking a front rotor in two days this past weekend I won't have the car turned around in time for this.

Time for some brake cooling or weight reduction.

I was holding out hope I'd be able to make it...but after wearing a brand new set of Hawk race pads down to the backing plate and cracking a front rotor in two days this past weekend I won't have the car turned around in time for this.

Time for some brake cooling or weight reduction.

which Hawk pads? on the E46M3?

which rotors do you run?

if it is the E46 M3, yes ducting will work more than great but I'd advise to switching to PFC (Performance Friction) DirectDrive rotors or at the very least, the stock Euro floating rotors. BMW stock rotors are so soft they wear out fast and have a tendency to crack easily...

and

some Carbotech XP8 or XP10 (judging by the weight of the E46M3, oretty much same as E36) or PFC01 or PFC06 (longer lasting, little but less bite than the PFC01) pads. Porterfield R4 pads are darlings too for the bimmers.....

:) good luck...

who were you running with last weekend? Buckeye BMWCCA?

leme know if you need a hand, I love working on these cars

Edited by das borgen

HT-10's on OEM euro rotors

The euro rotors are good for the street but eat pads like nothing else, combine that with the fact my car is fully optioned, full weight and has no cooling. I haven't really tracked the M3 in a few years and forgot how quickly it goes through stuff at full weight, esp now that I've grown even more as a driver.

I think I'm going to go back to standard rotor blanks and either HT-14's or PFC 06's. I'd rock the PFC rotors but I really intend on tracking the M3 one or two more times until I can get a replacement for the Porsche so I don't want to drop a ton of money into it.

I was running with PCA this past weekend. I've done most of my track stuff with them all the way back to auto-x with my father in his 944. I will likely be instructing with them next year as well.

Andy

gotcha! PFC06 is the way to go everyone raves about them on the M3

with me and a half tank, my car weighs in at 3410lbs..... I didn t get any fade with the EBC Yellowstuff Pads at MidOH

truth be told, blanks work more than well if their temps are managed

get your car right and come do Putnam with NASA Oct9-10 :)

I'm out. Tirerack is backordered on the rotor blank I was going to buy and nobody else can get me them in time to be installed unless I pay an insane amount for shipping.

...and i was just there last weekend too so I'll live.

you guys enjoy.

I m not going either

I ll just do that Putnam event and call it good........

you can always check other places

I'm not sure you can find a track day at Mid-Ohio for less... If you do, I'd question the amount of cars that will be out there and take a close look at the event insurance offered... :) Maybe next time!

a 2 day event is usually ~300.. that makes spending 200 on a one day event seem like alot of money-- Via NASA HPDE

Had a great time on friday. I think my brakes are still smoking, but it was all in good fun. I'm going to be doing this again. I need to come up with a good track setup, maybe a tune.

I would do power last

tires

brakes

suspension

cage

power

in that order

but I digress

I'm already running a good deal of bolt on's, on the stock. if i did a tune it be to protect my engine from kr. On the track on my last session i had a really hard knock. I'm going to chaulk it up to the fact that my fuel tank was empty and fuel pump must have starved for a second.

So far brakes are good i was running Hawk HPS at the track and they worked very well with not fade even though they were smoking, the tires i had worked well also only time i sliped was during the rain session, and even then no to much. I'm still trying to decide on a suspenstion setup, but i know i do need to do that.