Android pwns Iphone in Q2 also (suck it SpaceGhost)

CRed05

I'm pretty sure the guys posting in here don't make a living working on these things. I do.

Speaking as a developer thats had to work in both environments, and as a business owner who's company is working in/selling products in/consulting in both environments: Android is a far better development environment than the iPhone/iPad. java>Xcode its not even a contest. Coding, deployment, environment, resource usage and control, flexibility, portability - apple isnt even close.

I can spin out apps in 3/4-1/2 the time it takes my team to do the same on XCode. Less cost, more innovation.

Open Source always beat proprietary. Period. And this is coming from a guy who's other main line of business is MS .NET development. I don't even like java. But the same arguments the xCode guys are spouting today are what the proprietary coders were belching in the 90s when java showed up, and we all see how that turned out. Java has stomped the shit out of every other development enviroment out there by numbers. Thats what open source does. It allows all those millions of poor stinking indians and chinese who dont give a shit about your intellectual property right to come in like raiding norsemen and build a better mousetrap over and over. And Apple's past strategy of protectionism is going to work about as well as trade tariffs did to stop globalization.

Writing's on the wall. Either apple opens it up, or falls back to its former status as a niche/boutique player. Darling of the arts set.

Nailed it.

http://yaroq.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hammer-and-nail_web.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, it's for the Motorola Cliq. I have Cliq XT and it says it doesn't work. I will search some more...

Bummer. On Motorola's site, it says "CLIQ XT (USA) Upgrade to Android 2.1 - testing in process". Looks like it will get it OTA soon enough.

From what I have read originally it was supposed to be updated in May, then June, then July. Got delayed again. Apparently there are issues with the motoblur integrating properly. Oh well, I will only have to deal for 3 more months max.

The droid 2 is a droid 1 with a better processor, froyo, the mic is on the bottom of the phone, the front slider section is molded differently, and the huge direction pad on the keypad has been removed to allow for a better keypad. The keypad is still pretty lame but better than the original droid. With the new processor I actually like it more than the incredible now (for texting reasons), overall the incredible is a better phone.

The droid x is awesome for internet surfing, watching movies, and playing games. The wierd feeling of talking on that huge thing is the only thing I dont like about it. If I had it I would have to have a headset. It fits pretty well in the pocket, is light for its size, and takes absolutely great pics and vids. The standard on screen keyboard is great for people with fat fingers. The great thing about that is if you dont like it you can download a different keyboard. When I was testing it out I was surprisingly able to send texts with very few errors in spelling. Usually when I use touch screen phones I end up giving up on texts and just calling the person. Cant go wrong with an x. Like an evo but the evo software is a little better flowing.

g1 ftw, android is thie shiznit

t-mo sent me a text msg today telling e that "the g2 is coming" :eek: very nice!

Yes, I saw that. It will be the first hspa+ phone, and quite possibly have a dual core processor with android 3.0. Hope it doesnt have a hardware keyboard.

Yes, that's the point. You know why it's on 40 phones? Cause it can be, and therefor it will sell more. See how that works?

Selling more by selling 40+ phones doesn't mean anything. Market share without profitability is just embarrassing. Ask any business owner or investor if they want to be the biggest or the most profitable; only the failures will not say the most profitable.

In the profit Dept. Apple Pawns all of you.

http://gigaom.com/2010/08/17/apple-snags-48-of-mobile-profit-pie/

If popularity were cool and good for business, then someone better tell Nokia as they have by far the largest smart phone market-share. But it is not dictating industry standards and I make more money selling my underwear on craigs list than they do selling a phone. Developers like the iPhone, not because iPhone has the largest number of customers, But because the iPhone has people who are willing and able to spend money on Apps.

Pure fact that back with the invention of the iPod and now the iPhone Apple (and profitability) are what sets the standards. Look around, every manufacturer is attempting to duplicate the success that Apple has achieved by following the real leader.

And yet they're not only selling more, the growth curve is steeper. Its like being in 1995 and sitting in a mustang trying to deny that that camero isnt pulling away in 3rd gear...

Developers like the iPhone, not because iPhone has the largest number of customers, But because the iPhone has people who are willing and able to spend money on Apps.
Thats probably why the uptake on android development is four times what it is on iphone development, and pulling away hard...

Writers of magazines about developers like the iPhone, not because iPhone has the largest number of customers, But because the iPhone has people who are willing and able to spend money on Apps.
Fixed. Gotta love the journalism crowd.

Thats some b.s. my phone has been working fine for a few weeks.. along with the 100+ other people I know that all carry droid 1's (yes I really know this many people with the phone). The biggest issue came from people downloading software not made for their phone because they couldnt wait a week. The phones have also been able to tether for the longest. The update is so that Verizon can monitor your tethering and make you pay for it. The people that wrote that should retire.

P.S. I already have flash on my droid 1.. love it!

Thats some b.s. my phone has been working fine for a few weeks.. along with the 100+ other people I know that all carry droid 1's (yes I really know this many people with the phone). The biggest issue came from people downloading software not made for their phone because they couldnt wait a week. The phones have also been able to tether for the longest. The update is so that Verizon can monitor your tethering and make you pay for it. The people that wrote that should retire.

P.S. I already have flash on my droid 1.. love it!

True. I installed the OTA update on a co-workers and my brother's droid, along with flash and they both work flawlessly.