The Motorcycle Wave

twisted12

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its gay when I make the effort to wave and they dont wave back. I noticed last year a lot of sportbike guys didnt wave back. I rarely get waved from the cruiser guys but I wave most of the time, unless its a Harley I wont waste my time. No offense to you Harley guys.

To Wave or Not to Wave"

By Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old *******s on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while your at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why they don't spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ***. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.

i just like to mock those that don't wave... they're taking the biker thing way too seriously. Thats mostly the harley guys though, and I do make fun of them. Its always funny as shit when I catch a light with one then look over to give a nod or say hi, and they don't acknowledge you.... thats when I really start laughing (at them)

Top Ten Reasons Not To Wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.

8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.

3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The espresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Sportbikers Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.

9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.

8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.

7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.

6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.

5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.

4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.

3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.

2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.

1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.

9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."

8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.

7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.

5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!

4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.

3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.

2. You haven't been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

progress.gif

i wave except when the opposing traffic is really far apart like on freeways with huge medians. that and when youre riding hard (which i really dont do, except with a select few people)

a thread like this pops up about every year and i seem to remember someone talking about how they try to wave as low as possible.

i just like to mock those that don't wave... they're taking the biker thing way too seriously. Thats mostly the harley guys though, and I do make fun of them. Its always funny as shit when I catch a light with one then look over to give a nod or say hi, and they don't acknowledge you.... thats when I really start laughing (at them)

i just dont see the point of waving to some random starnger..do you do it in your car?..no, so why bother..guess im just fucked up, or missing the whole idea

a thread like this pops up about every year and i seem to remember someone talking about how they try to wave as low as possible.

Yes it does... every year, at least twice! But I try to wave as low as possible, get a good reaction from people! :D

i just dont see the point of waving to some random starnger..do you do it in your car?..no, so why bother..guess im just fucked up, or missing the whole idea

no I don't wave in my car, then again we're not on OhioDrivers.net either. the riding community is a huge part of riding, like it or not

I do it, just to do it. I remember the first wave I got when I started riding and it made my day. I hope that I'm someones first wave, but I also do it to keep it alive.

That just really made me laugh a lot a bit. :lol: You want to take their wave virginity you sick sumbitch! :lol:

hells yeah! :D

I almost deleted that after I typed it, but it made me laugh too much so I left it in

I HATE waving, but I always end up doing it. I hate that it was even started. I don't know the fella. In 2004 I waved at this harley guy once and he didn't wave back so I turned around, got next to him and honked my horn and waved again. He didn't do ANYTHING! As I was letting my anger out, I pulled in front of him at 70mph and stood up on my pegs and began slapping my ass in his face. Flipped him off and hit my next exit. :nono: It's mainly cruisers that never wave back to me, but I still always wave back. If I get 2 no waves, then I don't wave for the rest of the day unless the other rider waves first.

It's a big fucking mess. I say we all stop the shit and just ride.

I HATE waving, but I always end up doing it. I hate that it was even started. I don't know the fella. In 2004 I waved at this harley guy once and he didn't wave back so I turned around, got next to him and honked my horn and waved again. He didn't do ANYTHING! As I was letting my anger out, I pulled in front of him at 70mph and stood up on my pegs and began slapping my ass in his face. Flipped him off and hit my next exit. :nono: It's mainly cruisers that never wave back to me, but I still always wave back. If I get 2 no waves, then I don't wave for the rest of the day unless the other rider waves first.

It's a big fucking mess. I say we all stop the shit and just ride.

Dont worry fellow OR members. Since this tragic event happen that sad day in july of 2004, Nick has since gone through anger management. He no longer slaps his ass in people's face. He has been able to tone it down to a simple flip of the bird! :D

In 2004 I waved at this harley guy once and he didn't wave back so I turned around, got next to him and honked my horn and waved again. He didn't do ANYTHING! As I was letting my anger out, I pulled in front of him at 70mph and stood up on my pegs and began slapping my ass in his face. Flipped him off and hit my next exit. :nono:

:lol:

I wave at everyone. I hate to dog on Harley riders, but those guys will look right at you waving, and turn their heads straight ignoring you. I've made a point to flick off a couple in the past. Like they don't want anyone to see them waving at someone less macho than them, er something... Sportbikes and other types always wave back.