V8 Beast

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this

+1

:)

Seriously though, I was really impressed with the interior. If you have the cash to option it out with the Brembos it would make for a pretty bad ass DD/weekend racer starter kit. A guy I work with just bought one and he loves it so far (only about 2 weeks in).

New cars go fast and are still comfortable to drive. There is basically 10 years of comfort technology that the TA does not have.

True story.

I'd seriously consider one if I was in the position to afford a new car. This coming from a notorious Mustang squirrel is probably no surprise, but seems like a very solid foundation - probably the best ever. They are a bit heavy if I had to criticize anything but it makes a fair amount of power and they seem to respond well to mods. Go drive one. I haven't yet, but I've seen at least 2 people that I never would have expected to own a Mustang buy them recently. All it took was a test drive and they were hooked.

Pros:

Good suspension design (not cutting edge, but modern-ish)

Good power/modability

Nicest "pony car" interior I've seen yet

Still has that Mustang sound...

Great brakes, with 14" Brembos available right from the factory

Cons:

Weight

Price (not ridiculous, but the added "niceness" certainly isn't free)

EDIT: also, bear in mind that if you ante up for the Brembos you'll probably want some all-seasons on another set of rims for winter and they won't be cheap in 19". The stock tires on the upgrade wheel are not really a good choice for winter.

buy a better seat, take out your camshaft, downgrade your converter, remove your eibachs, lower gear shifting pressure, raise the t-tops to allow easier entry, change your torque arm angle, retune your car, upgrade your stereo system, and buy a warranty

Fixed

M3 performance for half the price.

The only cons I see is that there are going to be a million of them on the road, and when you go to a cruise-in you might be approached by (or lumped into) the "typical" Mustang owner crowd. Ford already has a S/C kit from the factory that gives a REALLY nice boost in performance and CAN come with a warranty (if the dealer installs it, but the kit is pricey).

I hate Mustangs with every ounce of my being, but I would buy a new 5.0L.

The only cons I see is that there are going to be a million of them on the road, and when you go to a cruise-in you might be approached by (or lumped into) the "typical" Mustang owner crowd. Ford already has a S/C kit from the factory that gives a REALLY nice boost in performance and CAN come with a warranty (if the dealer installs it, but the kit is pricey).

M3 is 55 or 58k (4/2dr), Mustang with brembos is 35k.

All of this (except the hate :p)...

with the addition of the fact that what has always been the major upside of owning a car that everyone has is that parts will be plentiful and cheap in no time. If you care about exclusivity - never buy a Mustang. If you don't give a shit about that I see no reason not to buy if you have the means and like the car for your personal needs/taste.

EDIT: Not to mention that this guy has probably driven WAAAY more new cars than I and is not already a Mustang fan. I have seen a lot of that lately. It's a game changer for sure.

School me

Buying a new car is almost always a big waste of money. Wait 2 years, get a used for way under the price of new, and still have a factory warranty. Let some other idiot take the depreciation hit.

i was just at the race track i talked to a guy who says the are really fast seen his friends in the 9's from the show room i don't know all about them good luck

LOL, maybe in the 1/8th mile. Of course you think your Saturn went mid-12's @ 108, lol.

Thats a bad analogy.

Might be twice the price, but you end up with twice the car in the end.

avg e30 m3 = $10-15k

avg 86-93 fox = $4-8k

avg e36 m3 = $7-10k

avg 94-98 stang = $3-$6k

avg e46 m3 = $13-17k

avg 99-04 stang = $6-11k

You see where im going....

Here is my impression of the car. For the pro's, the car is probably the funnest Mustang to drive ever built and it is not all in the power of the 5.0 motor. The electric power steering is really good in my opinion. It is very progressive and provides a lot of driver feedback. You always feel like you are in control of the car. The car has a really "light" feel which makes the car feel smaller than it is. The Brembo brakes feel really good on hard stops and the car feels really well balanced. Power is very good right from the factory and the higher in the rpm range, the harder it pulls, especially between 5k-7k. Ford put a lot of technology into the motor that was not available previously. Twin independant variable cam timing, piston oil squirters, and factory widebands are some of the major additions. Ford got it right on the gear spacing with the transmission. The car pulls really hard and evenly in every gear. If you opted to go auto, the new auto is a 6spd and the auto transmission cars actually seem to have an edge on the manual cars in the 1/4. Fuel mileage is great for the power the car makes. With the 3.73 gears and driving 75mph, I got an average of 23.7 mpg going to Indianapolis a few weeks back. The interior feels years ahead of the previous generation. The seats are really comfortable and the interior layout is decent. The sync system is really nice and will actually do turn by turn directions right on the radio display. My car has the Shaker 500 system and it sounds really good as well. Plug the Ipod right into the center console and you are ready to roll.

Cons so far for me are the clutch. In my opinion, not really a Ford a problem. If used as the car was intended to be used from Ford, the stock unit would probably hold up fine. If you go standard and plan to drive it hard, the clutch will eventually need addressed and the McLeod units are not cheap. There are plenty of guys already having issues with the pedal sticking to the floor above 7k and so far the only real solution has been to go with an aftermarket clutch. I only know of one other person that has sheared the dowel pins off of the flywheel and he also has been beating the snot out of the car, so that seems to be a much rarer issue and only related to high rpm abuse. The good news on the clutch is that the McLeod unit is very, very nice and easily streetable while giving plenty of room to grow int he power department. My only other complaint so far is in the noise department. When the car was stock, it was fine. Once it was lowered and the lower control arm relocation brackets were installed, rear diff noise started being transmitted through the floor. Not a huge issue but I am picky and it does annoy me.

I think the internals may actually be a little bit stronger than people were originally speculating. There are a few cars out there in the 580 rwhp range on stock internals that seem to be doing fine so far. Only time will tell how well the rods will actually hold up and no body will know for sure what the threshold is until people actually start crossing it.

Thats a bad analogy.

Might be twice the price, but you end up with twice the car in the end.

avg e30 m3 = $10-15k

avg 86-93 fox = $4-8k

avg e36 m3 = $7-10k

avg 94-98 stang = $3-$6k

avg e46 m3 = $13-17k

avg 99-04 stang = $6-11k

You see where im going....

Honestly your avg e36 and e46 numbers are a bit low too.

Completely agree. That vid made a bunch of people use that horrible analogy.

M3 is 55 or 58k (4/2dr), Mustang with brembos is 35k.

_______________________________BMW______FORD

BASE PRICE____________________$60,575 $30,495

PRICE AS TESTED_______________$67,025 $40,275

TRUE CAR TRUEVALUE PRICE*_____$64,341 $32,585

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/specs.html#ixzz10m94tKwA