Pros and cons of getting a new 5.0

V8 Beast

Buying a new car is almost always a big waste of money. Wait 2 years, get a used for way under the price of new, and still have a factory warranty. Let some other idiot take the depreciation hit.

I'd be hesitant on the 1st model year like this too. Let them work out any bugs and make those couple few upgrades. I say buy a 1 year old 2011 in 2012.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying a new car is almost always a big waste of money. Wait 2 years, get a used for way under the price of new, and still have a factory warranty. Let some other idiot take the depreciation hit.

LOL, maybe in the 1/8th mile. Of course you think your Saturn went mid-12's @ 108, lol.

When's the last time your Firebird was running?

WTF does that have to do with any thing? When was the last time your boat was running?

When was the last time either one of your guys mouths stopped running?

Oh wait.

:p

Pros - it'd be brand new, nothing is quite like "new". Everyone else already said the obvious.

Cons I'd have to say is for the price i'd still rather invest in something a trifle older by a year and get something with a little more umphf for my buck.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/24/ford-issues-tsb-for-2011-mustang-over-clutch-problems/

Ford has issued a dealer Technical Service Bulletin for a clutch issue on 2011 Mustangs built before April 25, 2010.

Affected models with less than 10,00 miles might experience a clutch pedal stayout condition, where the clutch will remain on the floor even after it's released during high RPM shifts, something that sounds like both an annoyance and a potential safety issue. According to the TSB, the repair takes less than an hour.

It is not clear if the clutch issue will eventually precipitate a recall, but there have been no rumblings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to suggest that it will. Have a look at the details after the jump or speak to you're dealer if you're not sure if your pony car is covered.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/24/ford-issues-tsb-for-2011-mustang-over-clutch-problems/

Ford has issued a dealer Technical Service Bulletin for a clutch issue on 2011 Mustangs built before April 25, 2010.

Affected models with less than 10,00 miles might experience a clutch pedal stayout condition, where the clutch will remain on the floor even after it's released during high RPM shifts, something that sounds like both an annoyance and a potential safety issue. According to the TSB, the repair takes less than an hour.

It is not clear if the clutch issue will eventually precipitate a recall, but there have been no rumblings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to suggest that it will. Have a look at the details after the jump or speak to you're dealer if you're not sure if your pony car is covered.

The tsb is for a replacement pedal assembly. There are two different pedal assemblies for the car. Mine has the upgraded version and still had the clutch sticking above 7k. Keep in mind that the factory rev limiter is set at 7k from Ford and the tsb is inteded to solve problems up to that rpm. For those with tunes that bump the limiter, the tsb may or may not solve the issue. If it doesnt, the only fix is an entire new clutch assembly.

Honestly?

You won't get M3 level performance without the brake package. To get the brake package, you need the higher trim level. It puts it at 35,290ish.

no you don't, both the brembos and gears are available on the base V8. $32,190 w/o gears, $32,585 w/ gears.

The tsb is for a replacement pedal assembly. There are two different pedal assemblies for the car. Mine has the upgraded version and still had the clutch sticking above 7k. Keep in mind that the factory rev limiter is set at 7k from Ford and the tsb is inteded to solve problems up to that rpm. For those with tunes that bump the limiter, the tsb may or may not solve the issue. If it doesnt, the only fix is an entire new clutch assembly.

word has it that the problem may be ford's new clutch pedal spring assembly. replacing the pedal box with the GT500 unit or the spring with the GT500 spring, and it *should* be good. IIRC, the TSB replacement still uses the same spring arrangement as the one it replaces, just modified.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/710327-2011-5-0l-clutch-pedal-issue-fix.html

get a new camaro!

nothing wrong with a 4th gen and 5th gen.

Huge difference between the 4th and 5th gens. The 5th gen Camaro isn't half the car the new Mustang is in my opinion. Within the short trip Brady took me on in his 5.0, I was impressed. Glass roof, brembos, 6 speed, handling, interior, and not to mention the 5.0 motor. Hands down Ford seems to have read minds with this car, it's everything anyone could ask for. I'll be excited to see the Boss 302 out on top of all the others in the market like Roush. If I wanted another pony car, I wouldn't think twice about buying one.

word has it that the problem may be ford's new clutch pedal spring assembly. replacing the pedal box with the GT500 unit or the spring with the GT500 spring, and it *should* be good. IIRC, the TSB replacement still uses the same spring arrangement as the one it replaces, just modified.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/710327-2011-5-0l-clutch-pedal-issue-fix.html

The new pedal assembly is the same as the GT500 assembly but with 1 extra spring. Removing the extra spring basically makes it a GT500 assembly. It does help and seems to fix the cars with stock rev limiters. While it has worked on a few cars with raised limiters it is not a sure fire fix for cars with raised limiters that are shifted above 7k. Several cars have already reported still having the problem with the new pedal assembly above 7k. Ford isnt going to do anything for the cars having the issue above the stock rev limiter, nor should they. The only real fix for the cars that go this route is a new clutch assembly. Part of the problem lies in the pressure plate design.

It's a clutch problem, not a pedal problem. At high RPM's when the clutch is depressed the diaphragm spring/pressure plate does not return after you let off the pedal. This condition is called 'stay out' and changing the pedal will not change anything.