What's an aftermarket steering damper for?

that dude

what exactly does a steering damper do)aftermarket) that a stock one doesnt do besides allowing for fine tuning.i guess idont understand whats the "need" for them..whats the advantages for the average street rider?

you should start your own thread with that question and let the powers that be try to answer. It will be like throwing rocks at a wasps nest. that is if you like doing such things.

you should start your own thread with that question and let the powers that be try to answer. It will be like throwing rocks at a wasps nest. that is if you like doing such things.

hellz yeah, the forum know all gods will answer in a very disrespectful and belittling manner. You will be glad that you asked.

hellz yeah, the forum know all gods will answer in a very disrespectful and belittling manner. You will be glad that you asked.

I wonder of whom thou speak?

Man, these new liter bikes are so light and tend to be very light on the front. When they dance the front like that under load, they tend to shake the front. The damper allows it to be slowed and lessened to prevent tank slap.

An angry liter bike is a tough bull to ride... I run mine pretty light as I like the movement and such...

Not a need on the smaller bikes, but the 750 is a boarder line one to have it on...

Oh yes... I have a GPR on my R6 because of a bad tank slapper I had one time... I had to go right home & change my underwear...

Basically the front end comes off the ground under heavy throttle ( be 1/4 inch or 1 foot, or full wheelie) and when it comes back down, its not aligned properly throwing the bar around...

The damper will allow you to "stiffen" up the bar and prevent very quick left and right "jerks"... Allowing you to lessen the effects of a miss aligned front end, and re-gain control of head shake/tank slap faster...

Here are a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1srcQMa_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMvAsh_MRM

Stock dampers do the job but can make for heavy steering. You probably won't notice the heavy steering until you mount the fancy damper. Funny how that works.

Plus' date=' when your stock unit gets warm the performance can diminish. A nice clicker unit can remedy that on the fly.[/quote']

you can change out the oil in the stock one too i think ? I haven't doe it , but others I know have !