Jeep XJ started up like a tractor...

sciongirl

Haven't had any problems with it but within the last few weeks, I've been driving it for longer trips. The other day I drove for about an hour and stopped for food... got back to the Jeep, started it up and it sounded horrible, the whole thing was shaking and sounded like the it was idling too low so I tried to give it gas and nothing happened when I tried to rev it up. Didn't register it at all. So I turned it off and back on, did the same thing... when I'd rev'd it up, the odom wouldnt even move. Turned it off and gave it a second, then it worked fine! I drove it home like nothing had happened.

Anyone know what this sounds like?

Haven't had any problems with it but within the last few weeks, I've been driving it for longer trips. The other day I drove for about an hour and stopped for food... got back to the Jeep, started it up and it sounded horrible, the whole thing was shaking and sounded like the it was idling too low so I tried to give it gas and nothing happened when I tried to rev it up. Didn't register it at all. So I turned it off and back on, did the same thing... when I'd rev'd it up, the odom wouldnt even move. Turned it off and gave it a second, then it worked fine! I drove it home like nothing had happened.

Anyone know what this sounds like?

do you get in and just turn the key or do you let the fuel pump cycle then turn it on?

lol..

I just put the key in and turned it on, like I have everytime... If it sits for a few days, I will put the key half way and give it some gas before I start it.... but I had just been driving it.

Shawn,

When it started up like that... no check engine light stayed on, will it still have a code?

If it's a newer model it's almost certainly injector heat soak. I believe #3 is the usual culprit. There's a TSB for them and the dealer just puts a heatshield on that injector. If I do alot of low speed driving and shut mine off and start it back up shortly after I still get little rough idle for a bit and I already have the heatshield. A friend of mine has a 2001 without it and he has the issue you describe fairly often.

Also maybe a leaking injector? (if it's an early model)

Edit: the heat shield is just a simple piece of heat insulation stuff that you could probably fab/install yourself if you don't want to go to the dealer. I can take a pic of mine if it helps.

If it's a newer model it's almost certainly injector heat soak. I believe #3 is the usual culprit. There's a TSB for them and the dealer just puts a heatshield on that injector. If I do alot of low speed driving and shut mine off and start it back up shortly after I still get little rough idle for a bit and I already have the heatshield. A friend of mine has a 2001 without it and he has the issue you describe fairly often.

Edit: the heat shield is just a simple piece of heat insulation stuff that you could probably fab/install yourself if you don't want to go to the dealer. I can take a pic of mine if it helps.

The heat shield disintegrates fairly quickly, I just tore mine off and dealt with it.

I have had that issue in the past it will throw a miss fire code/CEL on cylinder 3. but it has only happened twice and it was when I was pushing the engine pretty hard.