New TV help....

Putty

OK, so I wanted to upgrade my 32" Vizio LCD in my bedroom....I put it in my daughters room. I went to HHgregg and bought an LG 42pj350 (720p). I do not have a cable box in my room, so I'm just using the coax from the wall (getting HD box tomorrow). Well, the quality on this plasma straight from the wall was horrid, so I went out and bought a bluray player to see how it'd look at it's best. I screwed with the settings and could not get this thing to shine even with bluray. To see if it was just me...i took the BR player to my 52" plasma, 1080p, in my living room and there was that clarity I was looking for. So I have decided to take this TV back tomorrow. I have decided to get either LG 42LD450 or LG 37LD450. These are 1080p LCDs @ 60hz.

The thing is..it's a bedroom TV..I don't have to get a high end screen...I have that downstairs, but I want good qual. You guys have any input on these two LCDs??

Do you think an 1080p LCD @60hz will look better than a 720p plasma @600mhz??

Its so hard to just say "well plasma is better than LCD" or vice versa. These days quality is almost model-specific. I have a 37 inch LG LCD in my bedroom, and its been a great set. Crisp picture, and accurate color representation. Though keep in mind I tune all of my tv's in the service menus, so I can't speak for off the shelf settings.

Also at those sizes the difference between 720p, and 1080p is almost non-existent. I'd go cheaper, but still good quality, 720p every time at 42" or less.

I have a plasma and would not get it again. It uses too much power and runs really warn. Also it will get screen burn in quickly. Mine is about 3 years old and says "H" in the lower right corner on a black screen because I watch a lot of history channel.

Back to the OP, were your settings correct on the TV you have? A lot of times the factory settings are not what they should be. I would get a 32" unless you have a big bedroom. Personally I don't want (or have) a TV in my room.

I found a TV forum where there was a thread on the TV. Several guys posted calibrated settings and I was using several of them. None gave me good results. Factory wasn't any better.

TV is a big part of my life...lol. I must have one in my room and I sleep with it on all night. If it shuts off....I wake up. A must.

I found a TV forum where there was a thread on the TV. Several guys posted calibrated settings and I was using several of them. None gave me good results. Factory wasn't any better.

TV is a big part of my life...lol. I must have one in my room and I sleep with it on all night. If it shuts off....I wake up. A must.

LOL. Damn man. All night long, fuck that. Every time I do that I end up reliving whatever was on tv in my dreams.

I depends on what you are using the TV for. To be honest, if your nice screen is a lcd, i would just get an LCD. Plasmas are perfect for watching movies because the blacks are much better and refreshes better. 600hz actually is only 100 because its broken itno 6 segments across the screen. Whereas LCDs differently.

Have you seen any of the 120hz LCDs yet? If you hook that up to a nice HD source, itll look good. If you are using the one in your bedroom as a tv watcher, i would just get an LCD 1080p 60 or 120hz.

Not sure why blu ray with that 720p set is not giving you good quality picture.

I personal love plasmas for movies. I have a 60inch Pioneer Kuro for my main and a 42inch samsung 720p for the bedroom.

If you are sitting further then 6ft away, you will not notice any difference from 720p vs 1080p with screen size smaller then 50inch. And even at 50inch you will be hard pressed to see the difference with the naked eye.

May want to search avsforum.com for recommended settings for that set. Usually makes a world of difference.

LCDs in general are great for rooms with alot of light, as they tend to be brighter. Plasmas like someone mentioned will be better with blacks.

I think both types have their pros and cons, just depends on what it is that you are using it for.

All in all, hope you find a set that fits your needs and have fun.

-D

I pulled it down this morning and boxed it up. Taking back to try the LCD. I agree plasma can be nice cause my nice one is. I spent 550 on this 42, so I guess this is a case of "you get what you pay for". I was on avsforums and found a thread on the specific TV and used their settings and it did not help. I'll be taking the LCD back, too, if it does not meet my needs. Then I'll wait and spend a nice bit on a better brand/model.

yes.. plasma is garbage

Wrong, but thanks for playing

a few movies not every one, Driven looked the best

You HAVE to be joking. Your Netflix can't physically look HD with that setup, no matter what resolution you are streaming. You are wathing a 720p TV with a source that can output, at max, 480p. Have you ever even seen a nice TV? I stream Netflix regularly - at best, it looks like a compressed HD stream. Most of their "HD" content is DVD quality. And this is streaming through a PS3 to a large 1080p TV, not a freaking Wii (which I found the Wii looks worse using the component cables vs. the composite cables, back-to-back on our 720p 50" LCD rear projection).

What I really am not getting is why is ANYONE buying a TV right now. Black Friday is in a couple of weeks - that is when the real deals will be out.

What I really am not getting is why is ANYONE buying a TV right now. Black Friday is in a couple of weeks - that is when the real deals will be out.

Cause HHGregg is honoring Black Friday prices right now. Door buster deals are never good TVs, so I don't give a shit about that. Plus, i'm not waiting in a long ass fighting line at 3am for a damn TV.