What is the deal with 03-04 Cobra owners....

Linn1647545492

the 03/04 t56 is a single syncro tranny hence the rigid shifts, where as the fbody/corvette t56 is a triple syncro tranny, also they come shimmed making it easier to shift. There is a thread on ModularFords or SVTP I believe that shows you step by step how to shim the cobra t56 to make it easier to shift.

Actually the fbody trannys are single syncros....its the gto and corvettes that have the triple ones

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call BS. GM is no better at making the T56 shift good: my V which has the same T56 also shifts like shit.

The T56 is a shit tranny, period. Bulletproof yes, but shit to drive, and anyone saying its a slick shifter, installed in any car with any shifter hooked to it, is delusional.

PS: I'm still laughing because the 03 Cobras were faster than fbods and here 7 years later they're still pissed about it.

PS: I'm still laughing because the 03 Cobras were faster than fbods and here 7 years later they're still pissed about it.

Meh. I've beaten f-bodies and been beaten by f-bodies. I have a winning record and that will never change since the car is gone.

I call BS. GM is no better at making the T56 shift good: my V which has the same T56 also shifts like shit.

The T56 is a shit tranny, period. Bulletproof yes, but shit to drive, and anyone saying its a slick shifter, installed in any car with any shifter hooked to it, is delusional.

I had a V too, I am assuming you are still on the stock shifter and bushings? Throw in some UUC bushings and a Katech SS in that car and tell me how it shifts. It isn't BS it is common knowledge.

I had a V too, I am assuming you are still on the stock shifter and bushings? Throw in some UUC bushings and a Katech SS in that car and tell me how it shifts. It isn't BS it is common knowledge.

Only problem that I ever had with mine is when it had a stock clutch in it....a good clutch and shifter go along way in how the tranny feels.

my TA shift 100 times better than corys cobra.....

Does he still have the factory quadrant? What shifter? The only GM T-56 I drove was an 04 GTO that had the factory shifter and it was a spongy piece of garbage, but the first time in the car I was powershifting it and had no issues. The biggest issue I had with the Cobra was the stupid factory quadrant and the release mechanism on it. If you tried to adjust the cable and then hit a gear, it would release tension on the cable and wouldn't go into gear. That was "fixed" and I haven't had an issue since. Not the easiest shifting tranny, but I don't know what the problem is. If someone can't hit gears with it, maybe it's time to give up driving stick.

wow so you mean to tell me a factory boosted v8 beat a n/a v8.. I sure as shit hope so esp when they cost much more... you can buy a ls1 car for under 4k now... Can you show me a running 03-04 cobra for that much???

you get what you pay for. its all apples and oranges...

Point is it may be a bitch but the tranny is solid... you cant always have the best of both worlds

wow so you mean to tell me a factory boosted v8 beat a n/a v8.. I sure as shit hope so esp when they cost much more... you can buy a ls1 car for under 4k now... Can you show me a running 03-04 cobra for that much???

A loaded SS/WS6 was in the $30k's new and you could get a 03/04 Cobra for $32k (MSRP $35k) and under $30k when the rebates hit so price wise they are pretty close.

The difference now is the Cobra's are still worth something and I think you've shown what the LS1's are worth. Like you said, you get what you pay for...

A loaded SS/WS6 was in the $30k's new and you could get a 03/04 Cobra for $32k (MSRP $35k) and under $30k when the rebates hit so price wise they are pretty close.

The difference now is the Cobra's are still worth something and I think you've shown what the LS1's are worth. Like you said, you get what you pay for...

ok so if we are looking at this from a drag point then why would you get the ss or ws6 when they are not to much more hp than the z28???

msrp on a 03 cobra coupe $33,460

msrp on a 01 camaro z28 $21,875

so I hope a car that cost one and a half times as much with a boosted v8 can beat a n/a v8..

Not ragging on the cobra its a sweet ass car but you can not compare it to a ls1 when they are not really in the same range at all...

The shelby and the svt are more in the relm of the zr1...

ok so if we are looking at this from a drag point then why would you get the ss or ws6 when they are not to much more hp than the z28???

so I hope a car that cost one and a half times as much with a boosted v8 can beat a n/a v8..

Not ragging on the cobra its a sweet ass car but you can not compare it to a ls1 when they are not really in the same range at all...

A: There are a lot of factors other than the engine that determine the price. Your argument makes no sense. It's along the same lines as a ricer arguing that another car has 4 more cylinders.

B: Why pit a Z28 against a Cobra? There are different classes of Mustangs, just like there are different classes of F-bodies. Hey let's put the top of one class against the low end of another. Yay, we's smart!

C: Don't contradict yourself. You are ragging on Cobras. Nobody gives a shit if you are, so don't try to act like you aren't. If you were not, you wouldn't argue that the F-body is better because of blah, blah, dumb point, blah (I'm paraphrasing here). You're also comparing the two while you state that they cannot be compared.

D: You illustrate your lack of comparison ability by saying "The Shelby and SVT are more in the realm of the ZR1".

Do your research and form a more intelligent argument before you try again. There are plenty of valid arguments for either side.

Example : Linn argues that based on his racing experience the Cobra is slower and therefore inferior. This is valid because dyno numbers and professional driver numbers don't matter.

Lol, my NV5600 in my Cummins is smoother than my T56. lol

Hmm, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

My point still stands: GM wasnt any better at making the T56 easier to shift stock than Ford was.

Meh. I've beaten f-bodies and been beaten by f-bodies. I have a winning record and that will never change since the car is gone.
Ditto. Sold the Cobra batting over .750

Apples and apples. I ain't talking about the used car market. When I bought my 03 Cobra NEW in April '02 you could buy a NEW SS and they cost the same (roughly).

The best part was I didnt even have my car home yet from Graham Ford when on the drive back an SS comes up on me and revs... 65miles on the odo and babying it and I still walked him up 315. On ym way home from the dealership. Billy Bob was pissed. Cracked me up.

Like I said, they didnt like it then and they still aint over it 7 years later.

This. Exactly.

But for me... Who gives a crap what a used car nets me? If I wanted to buy used I still sure as shit wouldnt buy an fbod or a Cobra. It'd be a z06 or a Ford GT or some euro supercar or something.

My nuts aren't growing bigger because the Cobra was faster. It just was.

My nuts are growing bigger because of my daily use of my Austin Powers Penis Enlargement Pump, with the Sack Expander attachment.

Mr. Hal has pointed out the obvious already so since price is something on your mind. The Z28 was 2/3 the cost new, why doesn't resale value reflect that now (instead there is a bigger gap)? Again, you get what you pay for...

I understand about young kids and having zero experiance racing but what about F-bodies? You can get one for half the cost of a 03-04 cobra and I still never see videos like this or 500rwhp car running 12s.

How about 1000hp cars running 14s? seen that a few times too and spend about 4x the budget of an 03........