The Nerd Thread, Post your PC

gillbot

Sometimes I get PC's given to me by friends/family since they "upgraded". I usually toss the HDD in the trash and get another one, then gift it to someone that wants it.

Perhaps that may be an option for your laptop? Instead of trying to "remove" the virus, just either wipe it out or buy a new drive and install the OS fresh.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I get PC's given to me by friends/family since they "upgraded". I usually toss the HDD in the trash and get another one, then gift it to someone that wants it.

Perhaps that may be an option for your laptop? Instead of trying to "remove" the virus, just either wipe it out or buy a new drive and install the OS fresh.

one of the shift keys has been gone for over a year, and the screen does not stay completely up---3 kids who like to stand on it and jump on it. it cost $1500 brand new when i bought it---i'm sure a comparable new one today likely cost $400 or so, probably less than that.

one of the shift keys has been gone for over a year, and the screen does not stay completely up---3 kids who like to stand on it and jump on it. it cost $1500 brand new when i bought it---i'm sure a comparable new one today likely cost $400 or so, probably less than that.

If it is 6 years old, in mint condition it probably isn't worth 1/2 that depending on the processor/features on it.

1st WTF? 2nd Sean has this computer desk hehe;)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT what I ment to quote! I ment to quote the picture of the desk lol

What do you mean WTF? It's just 4 monitors...I make good use of all 4 as well (I am using all of them right now for different things).

If it is 6 years old, in mint condition it probably isn't worth 1/2 that depending on the processor/features on it.

shit, its probably not worth $50. i'm just saying you can probably buy a comparable laptop brand new with better features than what mine originally came with for less than $400.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I don't normally run it at those levels, but I was in an OC'ing contest at Overclockers Club. The sick thing is that (because of CUDA) my Vantage scores are in the high 50k - low 60k range.

Since that time, I have sold one of the GTX480's, and added a custom watercooling setup. I'll post some pics later on.

WAAAAAAYYYY late on the pics, but heres the setup. Changed the fluid, thats why some have a yellow fluid in the res, and some have purple. The purple is what is in there currently.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/lhiannonshee/IMG_20101230_170644.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/lhiannonshee/IMG_20101230_170623.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/lhiannonshee/IMG_20101118_173935.jpg

I've changed mine many times even since I posted this. Decided to sell off a lot of my "spare gear" and trim the systems down.

My "server" and NAS

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2407/1002034o.th.jpg

My main system:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5039/1002054u.th.jpg

It now sports a GTX460 instead but otherwise still SAS Raid and 980x with 12gb ram. I've been tempted to upgrade it to 24GB ram but keep asking myself why?

The spare system I may switch to my server or HTPC is an ITX S775 board with an E7300 and 2x2GB DDR2. Everything else is onboard and it's TINY.

Aside from that I have a Gigabyte Mobo with an i7 875k waiting to do something.

Nice - very clean looking. I like!

Thanks, thats exactly what I was going for. The case is beautiful, it's probaby one of the coolest ones I've ever used. There are some nit-picky things that I want to do at some point (Sleeve the cables, switch out the Hose connecters with screw-down types) but for right now, I am just enjoying the power. One of the coolest side effects of liquid cooling? You can't hear it, at all.

Gill, thats so neat. Have you ever surfed OC.net, or Overclockers club? The liquid cooling galleries there have some absolutely SICK setups...a lot of open, workbench style machines, as well.

One of the coolest side effects of liquid cooling? You can't hear it, at all.

That is the exact opposite of my system. When I am taxing the CPU, it gets loud as hell - but she has to stay cool some how. Hell, when I'm running 100% for extended periods of time, I can heat my office by simply closing the door.

What kinds of temps are you hitting when maxing that thing out on water cooling? I'm normally hitting the high 70's on my rig.

Really? Weird. Post some pics man, lets see what you have.

I am getting a max of 60 on the proc, oc'ed to 4.2, and 65 on the video cards, oc'ed to 850 and 2000. Thats using cpu burn and 3dmark vantage to max out the hardware. I havent tried to get the proc above my 4.8 max yet.

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor Intel® Core i7-720QM Processor

Processor Speed 1.6GHz

Level 3 Cache 6MB

Front Side Bus Up to 2.5 GT/s

RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM (Expandable to 8GB)

Memory Configuration (2) 2GB SO-DIMM Memory Module

Memory Slots Available (0) Available 204-pin SO-DIMM Slots

Hard Drive 500GB 5,400RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive

Multimedia Drive Labelflash® SuperMulti DVD Drive

Display Type 16.0" Widescreen TruBrite Display

Internal Max Resolution 1366 x 768

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 310M Video Chipset

Video Memory Up to 2267MB Total Available Graphics Memory

TV Tuner/Personal Video Recorder (PVR) None

Sound Card High Definition Audio Chipset

Sound Output Mode Stereo Audio Output

Audio Input Built-In Microphone

Network Features 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network

Wireless Network Features 802.11b/g/n Wireless Network

Memory Card Reader Memory Card Reader

Supported Flash Media Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Multi Media Card, xD Picture Card (shared slot)

Ports and Connectors (1) VGA 15-pin Port; (4) USB 2.0 Ports (3 USB + 1 eSATA/USB Combo with USB Sleep and Charge); (1) HDMI-CEC (REGZA LINK™); (1) i.LINK™ IEEE-1394; (1) RJ-45 Network Port; (1) S/P DIF Output Port (shared with headphone port); (1) Microphone input Port; (1) Headphone output Port;

Expansion Slots (1) Express Card/54 Slot (supports Express Card/34)

Built-In Devices Harman/Kardon Stereo Speakers, Microphone, Webcam

Security Slot for Security Lock

Input Device Keyboard, Touchpad

Included Power Supply 90 Watt AC Adapter

Included Battery 6 Cell Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery

Dimensions (WxDxH) 15.1" x 10.2" x 1.44"/1.61"

Weight 6.48 lbs.

Manufacturer Warranty 90 Day Limited Warranty

Included Software Microsoft® Works 9, Sonic Solutions® Roxio Creator™ 2010, Microsoft® Windows Media Player