• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some new parts today :D

Core i5 2500k (Unlocked multiplier)

Asus P8P67 PRO

4GB OCZ DDR3 1600 (soon 8)

2x4870 Crossfire

Aww yeahhh. This new processor is fucking fast. Board will take it to 4.1ghz no problemo.

PS: Q6600+Mobo+Ram for sale here

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1305766

The Machine

MB: Evga X58 SLi (ICH10R)

Video: Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS G80. 640MB circa 2006 still plays all current games at medium or better. I'm upgrading soon.

CPU: XEON E5530 2.4ghz @ 2.98ghz 4 Cores & 4 Threads.

RAM: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel

DISK: Intel X25 40g SSD SSDSA2M040G2GC once you go ssd you never go back .

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Keyboard

Mouse: Microsoft sidewinder mouse

Mouse Pad: Dell XPS Rat Mat

Monitors and Audio

Primary Display: Doublesight 26inch LCD IPS Panel

Secondary Display: Viewsonic 18inch Old school LCD *(The movie watcher)*

Speakers: Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 2.1 Speaker System with Subwoofer

Microphone: Creative Labs Microphone from SB16 OLDSKEWL

Windows 7 Scores

Processor: 7.5

Mem: 7.6

Graphics: 6.8

Gaming Graphics: 6.8

Disk: 7.6

I had a Dell XPS Gaming pc at one point with an I7 920 and SLi 9800GT's. It was a very nice box but this rig with an ssd instead of the Cuda drives destroys it in everything but raw gaming.

I've got a budget of ~120$ to purchase me a new video card. Any suggestions?

expired :(

Partly - looks like the the Coupon Code for $21 is expired, but that's it. The Visa deal didn't work for me - I even contacted Visa, but they said they were forwarding the info on the blew me off. :( So you can still get it for $113.74 shipped after mail-in rebates.

Here is the card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6589096&CatId=3670

Rebates:

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/rebates/SIC-6057%20(US).pdf

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/rebates/SIC-6059%20(US).pdf

I need better HDD's on mine. 6.1 in windows index on a pair of SAS 15k drives in raid-0.

I score a 6.3 with four 7200RPM Samsungs in RAID-0 using the onboard controller of my motherboard.

I get a 7.7 for the CPU, yet I watched the whole time and never saw the test put it past 70% useage - I'd love to know how they come up with that score. 7.8 on the Memory.

My 460 gets 7.5 on both tests on its own (saw it hit 98% useage at least), but goes down to 6 if I test in conjunction with my 7600GT's.

I think 7.8 or 7.9 is the highest you can get. There are a few trick to fool it out there though as it's a crappy benchmark at best. Hell, I got a 6.0 with a single WD Black drive, I thought for sure 15k SAS in raid would add more than 0.1 to the score.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've got a new video card in. Specs are now as follows.

CPU: Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz

MOBO: Asus P8P67 PRO

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600 (8gb soon)

Video: Radeon 6850 2GB GDDR5, bios flashed to 6870 (HAS 176GB/SEC MEM BANDWIDTH!!)

PS: Antec 620W Gamer

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black in RAID-1

The 6850 is a fucking amazing card. Outperforms the 4870 crossfire, runs way cooler, uses way less power. On top of that, its the EXACT SAME CARD as the 6870, and you can just flash the 6870 bios to it and save $80. There is no risk either, as it is a dual bios card and there is an actual switch to switch between the bios.

Besides the ram, this system has me set for the next few years. Total build is well under $1000.

I should have a new PC by now but it didn't pan out :mad: Don't ask. It's difficult when it's a friend. I'm working on a build myself instead. My budget is about $1,200 and so far is looking to be on track to perhaps A little over budget, but I have time. Waiting for end of Quarter deals from various places like Tiger before I pull the trigger on the parts.

I should have a new PC by now but it didn't pan out :mad: Don't ask. It's difficult when it's a friend. I'm working on a build myself instead. My budget is about $1,200 and so far is looking to be on track to perhaps A little over budget, but I have time. Waiting for end of Quarter deals from various places like Tiger before I pull the trigger on the parts.

$1200 seems like a lot of money, unless you are counting a lot of extras (multiple monitors/big monitor, nice printers, multiple/big SSD, etc.).

$1200 seems like a lot of money, unless you are counting a lot of extras (multiple monitors/big monitor, nice printers, multiple/big SSD, etc.).

Photoshop and video production. I drive a 30" HD Display as my main unit and a 24" for my pallet of tools. Mainly processing 10mp and 21mp RAW Images.

Perhaps I'll send you the layout of what I'm looking at for your insight. Always open to opinions.

thought you were buying that one off of Slimpsy? what happened?