Dsm guys

FST94TSI

Ok please don't respond if you're just gonna flame this thread. Now down to business. I've recently run across a 93 talon tsi awd 5sp. The car has 51,000 original miles and comes with every service record from day 1 to now. It is owned by an older lady and has never been modified in any way at all. It does sound too good to be true but ive checked it out thoroughly and it's completely legit in every way. My question is how much would any of you offer as a starting point for this car? Unless the owner is completely unreasonable in the price she settles for I'll be buying it very soon however I'm not sure what to offer and still be fair. I've had many many of these over the years but never any quite this nice.

Even though its a 7 bolt, they didnt have the short comings of the bad thrust bearing. The 4 bolt rear it DOES have. Even if it was legit, i wouldnt pay that much. MAybe 4 at the most.

Nope, just the opposite there ace. I think around mid 92+ had the 4 bolt IIRC.

Excuse my mistake, thanks for the correction.

Actually, I doubt you want to take my above advice. I've been into DSMs for 8 years and my opinions never fall in the same mindset as the average DSM crowd. I like the car just as much as I like the engine it is powered by. I value a spotless, low mileage 1G more than most people would. Keep in mind, these cars are getting harder and harder to find in good shape.

I agree with 4to5 being tops.I'm gonna shoot for about 1500 and see if I can get the steal of a lifetime. The last one i had is still one of the nicest I've ever seen for a highly modded dsm. lemme correct that I meant in Columbus. The black one at pruven performance in Conecticut is hands down the nicest I've ever seen. I'll keep you all posted. It will probably be the first or second week of January before the deal is done.

What you have to determine is if you want to mod the car or keep it stock. If you want to mod it, I would just go buy a $2,000 car with a clean shell and then put the other $3K into it and run 12's all day. If you are going to keep it stock I would maybe pay $4-$4500 and just make sure to keep up on the maintenance and only drive it on nice days.

I am with fourstring on loving the cars for everything that they are. I am partial to the 1Ga's ( I like the pop up headlights and the rear tailights better on them) but I have really come to appreciate them as a whole. Yeas they can be ungodly fast for relatively little money but I fit comfortably in the 1G's, I like how the dash is driver oriented by coming out to an angle facing the driver, I like the aerodynamic shape of the body, and yes...I love the 4G63. IF you have the oppotunity to jump all over a legit 51K car and just enjoy it on the weekends and such, I would suggest doing it but don't buy it to turn it into a daily driver.

Also, Erik (Patterson) was right. The 1Gb 7 bolts were NOT prone to crank walk. I think it was the 95-96's that saw the brunt of that.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase.

Just out of curiosity, whats this lady's name, location, and contact info? :grin2:

I would maybe pay $4-$4500 and just make sure to keep up on the maintenance and only drive it on nice days.

I'm an EX DSM guy, and don't really get this statement.

I would mod the SHIT out of the low mile example and enjoy it. Why would you park a stock DSM and "only drive it on nice days". I love the cars, but it's not a Ferrari, or other collectors car that is going to appreciate in value over time.

I was thinking the same way with the 7 bolt dot being a detonation device until 95 or so.

At this point I want the car for an occasional winter driver car. All of my other cars are rwd. If It turns out to run really well and not be a problematic car I will probably make it a 300 to 325ish at the wheels car. In my experience that has always been the sweet spot hp wise. Any less than that just isn't enough in my opinion and anymore than that starts the reliability issues usually. I'm gonna shoot for as cheap as possible but I'm willing to go maybe 3500 at the most. It's just not that important to me to put anymore than that in it.

I would pay 5 grand for it if all that you say about it is true. The 95 and 96's aka the 2g's were the crank walkers and ticking time bombs. I would defently modd the car and enjoy it. I mean hell do the math, a 17 year old car with only 51 k on it, thats 3000 miles a year that was put on the car roughly. This car is just getting broken in really and should have a good ammount of miles left on its clock being that it was taken very good care of. I would love to get my hands on a 1 or 2g one day but before I do that I have to get an lsx car back in my life first.

I'm an EX DSM guy, and don't really get this statement.

I would mod the SHIT out of the low mile example and enjoy it. Why would you park a stock DSM and "only drive it on nice days". I love the cars, but it's not a Ferrari, or other collectors car that is going to appreciate in value over time.

Allow me to elaborate then. What's the point in spending $4-$5k on a car that is getting rare just to mod the ish out of it when you could find a 100k shell for half that and it be a lot quicker for the same amount you are willing to spend on a stock car? In my opinion out are paying $4k because it is hard to find that car of that year in that condition. You are paying $4k because of what it is...not because of what you can change.