Lettuce Discuss: BL GT vs. B5 W8 Wagon

Patterson

In a wagon?

I guess so, even harder to find though. Im looking at the wait 4motion model.

I'll tell you what is funny, there were 2 W8 6 Speed wagons for sale this summer. ( I was secretively wanting one too). Both sold INSTANTLY.

If you keep your ear to the ground you can find one. Exhaust makes them sound wonderful. Great highway cars.

W8? You don't want that. They are cool, but anything but reliable....or so the rumor goes.

Their reliability "rumors" stem from the same place 1.8T reliability "rumors" come from. Poor oil change intervals with crap oil.

Their cam tensioners have micro fine mesh filters in them that get clogged easily and cause the tensioners to need to be replaced. Replacing the tensioners = Remove engine & tranny from car, separate and go at it.

There are plenty of W8's in the 100k+ range with no problems thanks to the owners changing the oil every 3-5K with good synthetic.

I drove the W8 today, cool car, but funky squeels from the front of the motor. The Tensioners possibly? A little digging in the glove box found an old work order form last year for head gaskets, and timing chains at a VW dealer in Cleveland. I'm gonna have it inspected Next week at a friends VW shop to see just what the deal is.

This is the problem with the 7-9K range that I'm looking at. Nice cars but at the point in life where problems are starting to pop up, or they've been sorta addressed.

I drove the W8 today, cool car, but funky squeels from the front of the motor. The Tensioners possibly? A little digging in the glove box found an old work order form last year for head gaskets, and timing chains at a VW dealer in Cleveland. I'm gonna have it inspected Next week at a friends VW shop to see just what the deal is.

This is the problem with the 7-9K range that I'm looking at. Nice cars but at the point in life where problems are starting to pop up, or they've been sorta addressed.

If you found one that already had the chains/tensioners done recently, you're probably safe for a long while with good oil change habits.

Like Aaron was saying, the Allroad can be had with a manual, AND IT CAN RAISE ITSELF MAGICALLY OVER SNOW!

WeeeEEEEEeeeee.

If you found one that already had the chains/tensioners done recently, you're probably safe for a long while with good oil change habits.

Like Aaron was saying, the Allroad can be had with a manual, AND IT CAN RAISE ITSELF MAGICALLY OVER SNOW!

WeeeEEEEEeeeee.

First thing that would be gone on an allroad would be the suspension. lol

I love the look of the c5 allroad.

Its a shame they never made the 2.7T avant though.