Tow Rig Options

coltboostin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who knows, chooses the Dodge Cummins, specifically the 5.9. I got mine with 260k and just put another 20k on it this summer. My other buddy has one with 450k on it. They are both manual transmissions. DO NOT get one with an automatic transmission, the auto is junk.

Diesel Truck

I had an F-350 and it was junk.

I tow with a Crew cab '00 F-350 Powerstroke auto 4x4 on 315/75r16 bfg's and we got 15-16mpg going to Daytona with 5 guys in the truck, a bed full of luggage, pulling a 18ft trailer with 5 bikes. The truck is as solid as they come and im a Chevy guy, the only down side is the trans which is going to Hardshift next month ;) But its got 250k and has been to Florida 4 times this year and VA beach once.

I also wanna add that while getting 15-16mpg we made it from Marysville to the Florida welcome center in 12 hours including stopping for dinner and fuel etc

Edited by RUTAN TA

My 99 7.3 Powerstroke gets around 15 -19 while pulling the wifes horse trailer with living quarters. The tranny's will last alot longer with a huge cooler. Never had a single problem with it so far. Any way you go make sure you use a cetane boost and rotella full syn helps alot as well

Also, I was pulling a 28ft enclosed with my car inside and getting 14mpg towing at around 75mph. The trailer was weighing in at 10k lbs packed to the gills, I went:

columbus to long beach, ca and back

columbus to atlanta, ga and back

columbus to wall, nj and back

columbus to seattle, wa and back

columbus to cleveland and back

columbus to vegas to LA to sonoma,ca back to LA then to irwindale,ca and then to the SEMA show in vegas and back to columbus

columbus to reading, PA where its stored for the winter.

that was my summer in my Dodge. Not one mechanical issue, even with all the miles on the truck.

also, read up on Hot Shoot truckers. My truck pulled all over the country like it was its job....it actually was its job. I got the truck with a 110gal aux tank, 5th wheel, 5in exhaust, bully dog, and some other trick stuff, all for $16k for a 2006.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5281495299_554edfc3e9_b.jpg

Also, I was pulling a 28ft enclosed with my car inside and getting 14mpg towing at around 75mph. The trailer was weighing in at 10k lbs packed to the gills, I went:

columbus to long beach, ca and back

columbus to atlanta, ga and back

columbus to wall, nj and back

columbus to seattle, wa and back

columbus to cleveland and back

columbus to vegas to LA to sonoma,ca back to LA then to irwindale,ca and then to the SEMA show in vegas and back to columbus

columbus to reading, PA where its stored for the winter.

that was my summer in my Dodge. Not one mechanical issue, even with all the miles on the truck.

also, read up on Hot Shoot truckers. My truck pulled all over the country like it was its job....it actually was its job. I got the truck with a 110gal aux tank, 5th wheel, 5in exhaust, bully dog, and some other trick stuff, all for $16k for a 2006.

Nice trailer.

How many miles on the truck (nevermind, my 04 has 145k should last me for a loooong time)? I heard the bully dog does a lot to help with fuel economy. Just yesterday I pulled the resonator out of the intake tube maybe i'll get something out of it?) and the muffler delete, hopefully will get me another 1-2mpg.

My truck is at like 285k or something...I dont remember.

The bullydog works well, I can get up to 25mpg not towing. My only complaint about the bullydog is that it has a setting that kills the fuel when the engine water temp gets high. If you've ever towed across the country, you know how hot the engine can get towing at 70mph with a 50mph headwind across oklahoma or texas.

My 99 7.3 Powerstroke gets around 15 -19 while pulling the wifes horse trailer with living quarters. The tranny's will last alot longer with a huge cooler. Never had a single problem with it so far. Any way you go make sure you use a cetane boost and rotella full syn helps alot as well

Thats what I see, It seems everyone with a big cooler has no issues.

Is there a cooler thats TOO big, as in it will hurt the pump or something else? I'd hate to be the one that kills the damn thing.

Max of 3 bikes (To Texas) or a Bike, and a Car. And you know what I drive-little jap shit.

No offense but you are looking at OVER KILL for what you want to tow...

I should have mentioned my preferred price range is 5k cash and below.

that being said-you can give me an honest review of your rig.

If you want something cheap that will tow, get a Crown Vic or something like that. Plenty of cars that will tow 3-bikes on a trailer and get better mileage. You don't need a Diesel or 2500+ for what you want...

Hell, you might just be better off RENTING a 1500 truck when you need it and then return it. That way you don't have to worry about maintenance, upkeep or any of the other crap. Plus if you have a problem on the road, they come get it and/or give you another...

No offense but you are looking at OVER KILL for what you want to tow...

If you want something cheap that will tow, get a Crown Vic or something like that. Plenty of cars that will tow 3-bikes on a trailer and get better mileage. You don't need a Diesel or 2500+ for what you want...

Hell, you might just be better off RENTING a 1500 truck when you need it and then return it. That way you don't have to worry about maintenance, upkeep or any of the other crap. Plus if you have a problem on the road, they come get it and/or give you another...

Your nuts!!! Have you ever towed through the mountains? I need a truck-and for gas mileage and price prefer the Diesel. I dont want anything stopping me.

Renting a 1500 would cost 800-1000 WITHOUT gas just on one trip to Florida.

And thats if I find somewhere that does unlimited miles. I need a truck bed for more hauling shit as well. Add in Boats, jet skis...ECT. If you've ever tried to borrow a truck WHEN you need it-you know how much of a pain in the ass it can be

Your nuts!!! Have you ever towed through the mountains? I need a truck-and for gas mileage and price prefer the Diesel. I dont want anything stopping me.

Renting a 1500 would cost 800-1000 WITHOUT gas just on one trip to Florida.

And thats if I find somewhere that does unlimited miles. I need a truck bed for more hauling shit as well. Add in Boats, jet skis...ECT. If you've ever tried to borrow a truck WHEN you need it-you know how much of a pain in the ass it can be

I guess I misunderstood you and thought you just wanted something to get to Texas and back with the occasional track/weekend trip. Didn't realize you were going cross country through the mountains.

How often will you be doing this?

In that case, you need to spend a LOT more than $5k. You really aren't going to get anything nice for that much. It's either going to be ragged out or on it's last leg which is going to cost you more in repairs in the long run.

Diesel is preferred but if you don't have the budget or need for it, the gas will do just fine. Be more specific in your towing needs, duration, weight, etc...?

Head south any friday throughout the summer, you will see more than one civic and v6 minivan towing a 6500lb boat.:p

My next tow rig will be a used denali tahoe. My old one was a fullsize loaded conversion van that was awesome. However I have regularly towed several large boats with my vortec v6, during summer and never had a problem. Would I do it if I planned on keeping the vehicle forever, no but I tow with it and realize its going to last only so long. My dad bought a brand new 97 v8 mountainer and has towed his 25' boat all over the country repeatedly as well as uses it as a daily. More than enough power and could be found within your price range.

Head south any friday throughout the summer, you will see more than one civic and v6 minivan towing a 6500lb boat.:p

My next tow rig will be a used denali tahoe. My old one was a fullsize loaded conversion van that was awesome. However I have regularly towed several large boats with my vortec v6, during summer and never had a problem. Would I do it if I planned on keeping the vehicle forever, no but I tow with it and realize its going to last only so long. My dad bought a brand new 97 v8 mountainer and has towed his 25' boat all over the country repeatedly as well as uses it as a daily. More than enough power and could be found within your price range.

You bring up a good point- I did tow my boat (20 ft Sea Ray) with my CRV. (4banger, 2 Liter) It didnt like hills, but it "did it".

To answer other questions-

Distance-Max of 1500 or so (Texas Mile) Maybe once a year out West.

Load-5k? I dont know, a Busa, A (likley steel) car trailer, and a one ton Car of some sort.

Would a V6 REALLY be enough? For example- with a 5k lbs load- going though the hills/mountains on the way to Florida....

Again, I like gas because I KNOW gas-easier/cheaper to repair, and pretty much DD able.

I would certainly tow the bikes with a light trailer and an inline v6 and tranny cooler. The car with a light maybe aluminum trailer and cooler. I wouldnt load them down and would watch what I loaded the vehicle with as well. while its not ideal, I think with the proper care and a good use vehicle it could last you awhile.

I would certainly tow the bikes with a light trailer and an inline v6 and tranny cooler. The car with a light maybe aluminum trailer and cooler. I wouldnt load them down and would watch what I loaded the vehicle with as well. while its not ideal, I think with the proper care and a good use vehicle it could last you awhile.

So-your saying a Ford (unless someone else makes a gas I-6)

If this helps the story, this is the truck Im looking at tonight, and I already told the guy Im not paying 3k for it. He has all maintenance history, only drove it 15k in 6 years, never in the winter. It was previously owned by a John Deer dealership who used it as a service call truck.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2069911031.html

PS- if anyone scoops this truck B4 me tonight, I will murder you. :)

So-your saying a Ford (unless someone else makes a gas I-6)

If this helps the story, this is the truck Im looking at tonight, and I already told the guy Im not paying 3k for it. He has all maintenance history, only drove it 15k in 6 years, never in the winter. It was previously owned by a John Deer dealership who used it as a service call truck.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2069911031.html

PS- if anyone scoops this truck B4 me tonight, I will murder you. :)

That is a non intercooled truck as are all pre 99s

Man I towed my 18ft Searay with my V6 f150 and it HATED it. I can't imagine with a CRV.

That said, if you are going to be towing with a lighter vehicle do yourself a favor and make sure the trailer has brakes. Second, I'd get a manual trans, no ifs and or buts. I just don't trust auto trannies for anything especially not in a 'high load' situation.

I think for your needs you are going very overkill with a diesel. A 5.3L Silverado would work just fine for towing a car or a few bikes. My Avalanche (5.3L) tows just fine. I have towed 4 quads and a dirtbike plus a truck load of guys and gear on my car hauler without any issues. I have towed an SUV with it as well. A 2wd Silverado would be an easy 1000lbs lighter too so I would imagine it would tow even better.

My thoughts on the matter are changing-

After some reading on people's experiences, reading up on towing capacities...ect and the fact that ANYTHING breaking on a diesel, especially a 7.3, will be an expensive fix. Hell, we spent $600 on parts JUST going brakes on my boy's Cummins!!!

Also, as I mentioned I towed my Boat with a freakin Auto CRV. Even up Puratis Hill (10% Grade). At the end of the day, If I was comfortable with that, I dont think I'll have an issue lugging light car with a 6 or 8 banger. For the 3 or 4 steep climbs a year the truck MAY see.

I think Im back to where I was a year ago- Wanting a F 150 I-6 5 speed, Extend Cab, 2wd clean as aids. That just makes more sense for my needs.