How should I handle this with Audi?

Nitrousbird

Wife has a 06 A4 2.0T Quattro, purchased in 08 with 24k on the clock from Buyers Audi. Also has the CPO warranty in addition to the remaining factory warranty that was on it when she purchased it.

As you can see from the following pictures, the center caps are peeling, especially the front ones (but they are starting to on the rear as well). Factory warranty is up, still sporting the CPO warranty. 50k miles now, still on original brake pads, so it isn't an aftermarket pad causing this peeling from the dust.

Last time in the dealer (MAG), we inquired about it, and they said it isn't covered and quoted us some insane number to replace them.

I'd like to take this a step higher - there is no reason for these caps to be peeling like this. I've had other cars with painted center caps with far more miles and abuse and they weren't doing this. Any ideas on whom I should contact regarding this - or am I just going to be SOL?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4640

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4637

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4639

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4638

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4641

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$45/each. That's $201.87 after tax/shipping. No way in hell I am paying that - I'd rather buy these for a couple hundred more and sell the factory wheels to make up the difference:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Fits-Audi-A4-RS4-style-rims-A6-A8-hyper-silver-S4-/390275242315?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ade37994b

You might get a courtesy repair, but I doubt it. They have no idea how your wheels were maintained/cleaned.

The fact is, they are 5 year old/50k center caps. You never know what caused it, a rock chipping it, then brake dust, or some sort of acidic substance getting on them etc. Where there any repairs on the car that could have caused a substance to get on them at the dealer? Long shot, but who knows.

You might be able to score a set on ebay, audizine or quattroworld. Good luck.

You might get a courtesy repair, but I doubt it. They have no idea how your wheels were maintained/cleaned.

The fact is, they are 5 year old/50k center caps. You never know what caused it, a rock chipping it, then brake dust, or some sort of acidic substance getting on them etc. Where there any repairs on the car that could have caused a substance to get on them at the dealer? Long shot, but who knows.

You might be able to score a set on ebay, audizine or quattroworld. Good luck.

I can tell you for 99% sure it is the brake dust that did it. She never rotated the tires on the factory tires, and hasn't yet on the new tires, so those front ones have always been getting blasted with the heavy coating of brake dust that the Audi pads love to deliver, which is more so on the fronts.

So you can blame in on the pads - but they are Audi pads, meaning an Audi problem, and something Audi should cover.

5 years/50k is zero excuse. 9 years/135k on my Avalanche, and they still look great. And that's with off-roading them as well, and various pads during that time (factory, cheap Autozone, and Hawks currently on her).

There are none on e-bay right now; haven't checked the Audi forums.

Shoot me the VIN and let me see what I can do.I can't promise anything because that's the other building but I'll talk to a couple of people. kcourtright@magcars.com .

E-mail sent.

I can tell you for 99% sure it is the brake dust that did it. She never rotated the tires on the factory tires, and hasn't yet on the new tires, so those front ones have always been getting blasted with the heavy coating of brake dust that the Audi pads love to deliver, which is more so on the fronts.

So you can blame in on the pads - but they are Audi pads, meaning an Audi problem, and something Audi should cover.

5 years/50k is zero excuse. 9 years/135k on my Avalanche, and they still look great. And that's with off-roading them as well, and various pads during that time (factory, cheap Autozone, and Hawks currently on her).

There are none on e-bay right now; haven't checked the Audi forums.

E-mail sent.

No doubt its annoying, but you wont get a car dealer to easily replace anything regarding wheels/tires.

Are your Avalanche wheels painted?

I would have them painted.

No doubt its annoying, but you wont get a car dealer to easily replace anything regarding wheels/tires.

Are your Avalanche wheels painted?

I would have them painted.

I once bought a car in cash left the dealership then wrapped it around a telephone pole. I went back to dealership and complained cause I bought it there.

:asshole:

Honestly , VW/Audi do not give in to easy to this. there needs to be service records and proof that you did not do this yourself.

One thing that they will bring up is Winter/salt and the up keep of your car.

If you win this battle my hat is off to you but this will be a tuffy.

I see people come into work all day with chrome wheels and they are peeling, They go back to the dealership and complain cause there 2008 cts-v rims are peeling and they look at the customer and say if you brought all your work to us we would replace them but you voided that by having someone else do the work instead. Even if the place they take it to is more qualified than that of where said car was purchased....

Wheel medic, black chrome them all, tint windows, and enjoy it more than it sits now. Slight drop would help too :p Seriously, check with Wheel Medic. I doubt the dealer will cover them. Not sure I see them being responsible for them either. I mean, sucks yes, but after 5 years of wear and tear and brake dust eating at them....especially if you/she perhaps lets it accumulate on there....just saying.

I once bought a car in cash left the dealership then wrapped it around a telephone pole. I went back to dealership and complained cause I bought it there.

:asshole:

Honestly , VW/Audi do not give in to easy to this. there needs to be service records and proof that you did not do this yourself.

One thing that they will bring up is Winter/salt and the up keep of your car.

If you win this battle my hat is off to you but this will be a tuffy.

I see people come into work all day with chrome wheels and they are peeling, They go back to the dealership and complain cause there 2008 cts-v rims are peeling and they look at the customer and say if you brought all your work to us we would replace them but you voided that by having someone else do the work instead. Even if the place they take it to is more qualified than that of where said car was purchased....

if a dealership ever told me a warranty was voided due to me taking my car to another shop for work to be done and not them, i would sue them so fast their head would spin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

GM doesn't cover wheels that are discolored because of brake dust.

its not their fault that you didn't maintain your car so why should they pay to fix it.

GM doesn't cover wheels that are discolored because of brake dust.

its not their fault that you didn't maintain your car so why should they pay to fix it.

These are discolored - they are peeling off. And the brake pads on this car dust so much that 2 days of driving will cover the wheels in dust. Who the hell washes their daily driver every other day?

1. Buy new wheels.

2. Less whining.

2. Profit.

So I should replace the wheels on a 50k mile car because Audi can't put a decent finish on the center caps?

Wheel medic, black chrome them all, tint windows, and enjoy it more than it sits now. Slight drop would help too :p Seriously, check with Wheel Medic. I doubt the dealer will cover them. Not sure I see them being responsible for them either. I mean, sucks yes, but after 5 years of wear and tear and brake dust eating at them....especially if you/she perhaps lets it accumulate on there....just saying.

I'm not sinking money into those rims - would rather get RS4 replicas. It is a daily driver, so it is not getting lowered.

It is embarassing that that these center caps are peeling at 50k miles - even if they had never been washed ever. This isn't chrome pitting, this is paint peeling off.

If your wife didn't have the mindset of doing tire rotations so that the same two wheels were getting blasted by dust for 50k miles, sounds like an issue there and I know I wouldn't cover it.

It's an Audi, it's a daily driver. Who friggin cares if $200 worth of center caps have some peeling? Either buy another GM or quit complaining.

It's an Audi, it's a daily driver. Who friggin cares if $200 worth of center caps have some peeling? Either buy another GM or quit complaining.

Yes, and save us from his posts when he has to buy more than oil and tires. OMG AUDI PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE WHAT SHOULD I DO GUIZ. My truck cost wagging less to maintain.

If your wife didn't have the mindset of doing tire rotations so that the same two wheels were getting blasted by dust for 50k miles, sounds like an issue there and I know I wouldn't cover it.

Fuck Government Motors. I'll never buy another GM for as long as I live. True story.

Verdict = SOL

There is no way you can prove that its not her fault. As stated they can bring up salt, maintenance, cleaning with abrasive materials, etc. Unless you have months worth of footage showing how and when you washed it, where the car was stored, and where it was driven you should just give up. If they do replace them it will be 100% courtesy.

Same thing happened with my edge. Not sure what the last owner or the dealership did but when I went to wash the car my microfiber towel made the wheels started flaking all over the place. Ford laughed at me and pointed out the as is part of the purchase agreement. All I could do was show them 5 paid in full GM cars over the last 10 years and say this is $140K in profits your company will never see... not that they even cared.

Please name a GM back in 08 you could buy used between 20-30k that:

- Had AWD

- Got at least mid 20's MPG on the highway

- Nice interior

Name me ANY GM that qualified. I know I didn't find one. The other domestic camps had nothing either.

I don't care if it got blasted by brake dust for 100k miles, it still isn't acceptable.

Yes, and save us from his posts when he has to buy more than oil and tires. OMG AUDI PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE WHAT SHOULD I DO GUIZ. My truck cost wagging less to maintain.

Sorry if the damn thing springs a coolant leak because of a major design flaw. Or I need to check the cam follower because of another design flaw.