gas fire place?

SRTurbo04

Any one know how to light the pilot on a gas fire place?

my gfs condo in new albany has a gas fire place but shes never used it because she was afraid she might blow her self up if she tryed to light it.... :lol:

any insight as to how?

Have you turned the knob on and pushed in, then struck the ignitor button?

yes i turned an pushed in the nob to pilot. i can hear the gas flowing when i press the button, hit the ignighter button but then nothing happens...!?!?!?

gas is on, button is in pilot pushed in.

any insight?

yes i turned an pushed in the nob to pilot. i can hear the gas flowing when i press the button, hit the ignighter button but then nothing happens...!?!?!?

gas is on, button is in pilot pushed in.

any insight?

Contact building maintenance to have issue corrected with fireplace/ igniter ?

first off, turn the valve to turn the gas on to the fireplace. Then there are instructions on the fireplace itself that tells you how. usually you turn the knob to pilot light turn the gas on and press the button a couple times. It may take a minute or two for it to light.

Can you see any spark when you hit the igniter? I had the same issue w/my fireplace and it turned out to be a plugged air orifice where the pilot flame is. I just stuck a cotton swab in the hole and cleaned the dust/debris out and it's worked like a champ ever since. It's a safety thing to shut the pilot off if the O2 level in the room gets too low.

Can you see any spark when you hit the igniter? I had the same issue w/my fireplace and it turned out to be a plugged air orifice where the pilot flame is. I just stuck a cotton swab in the hole and cleaned the dust/debris out and it's worked like a champ ever since. It's a safety thing to shut the pilot off if the O2 level in the room gets too low.

where is air orifice?

also here is a pic

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/04srturbo/IMG_20110103_203548.jpg

jones cant call maintnence its her place

Can't you light soemthing on fire where the gas comes out and turn the gas on? I really don't know I've never messed with a gas fireplace, so i guess if it were me I'd have cinged eyebrows or a fire. The above post about a dirty passage sounds very likely if it hasn't been used.

Are you heating ceramic logs, real wood, or none of the above? Is the fireplace ventless or vented? http://www.fireplacesnow.com/VentingOptions.asp If its vented you should consider having it serviced as it may be clogged by a birds nest or other things..

The button with the star on it appears the be the ignitor (need to turn pilot on). The Red handle on the right is to turn on the gas, and the hi low is to adjust the volume of gas to control the fire. There may be another red handled gas valve you need to open in the basement so keep that in mind if it doesnt appear that any gas is coming out. I would look for a model number on the fireplace and google it for instructions just to be safe.

if its like my gas wall heater in my garage it will take a while to get the gas to go thru the line so it will ignite. You have to push all the air out before it will ignite. This is what happens to mine when it sits spring/summer/fall. One of those long reach igniters are handy in these situations also.

if its like my gas wall heater in my garage it will take a while to get the gas to go thru the line so it will ignite. You have to push all the air out before it will ignite. This is what happens to mine when it sits spring/summer/fall. One of those long reach igniters are handy in these situations also.

Aj called an had me purge it si now I have gas an the pilot lights but now wyen I go from oilot to on it cuts the pilot lightloff

where is air orifice?

also here is a pic

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/04srturbo/IMG_20110103_203548.jpg

jones cant call maintnence its her place

It should be right below where the pilot flame comes out. It was about a half inch below the end of the tube where the flame is. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but yours might not have it.